News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:48:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One device that does three things,,,,  (Read 660 times)

Online Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
One device that does three things,,,,
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
Reducer,    Reverser,   Gas Pedal.

I used a Brodak 3-line bellcrank for the first time.  The first thing I discovered it that it has over twice the throw that the carburator wants.  Since I didn't want to overpower the carb or make the BC over-sensative by restricting it's throw, I knew I needed a REDUCER.

After some discussion with scale and carrier guys, I came to be convinced that I should PULL for HIGH at the handle.  That made my system backwards.  In some cases, I could have flipped the carb arm, but that put the throttle rod into the exhaust path and (maybe) where a muffler wanted to be.  Hence, I needed a REVERSER.

While I was at it, I designed the unit so I can work it with a finger on left hand, and not have to have somebody jockey the GAS PEDAL out at the wingtip.

Materials required : worn out bellcrank and 6/32 lag bolt.

Paul Smith

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Re: One device that does three things,,,,
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
Looks a bit familiar :)
mike potter

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:19:34 AM »
Looks a bit familiar :)

Ah yes, to the profesional.  I thought I might pass the technology to somebody who needs it.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »
Bill Bischof has been using something like that for years, well as long as he has been flying carrier.  He also has the throttle reversed so that you pull for low speed.  In fact some of his set-ups go thru the fuselage because bellcrank is in board on the profile.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
     When I first got into carrier in 1993 I looked around for all the infomation that was available and in the end it was Bill Bishoff that supplied most of what I have used through the years. And one of things was mounting intermidiate bell cranks that sure helped a lot. You could go anywhere and do anything with these bell cranks. He was also the one that reminded me that in real planes it was push to go and pull to slow down so that was the way I did it. The only problem with push to go is that the vast majority of carrier pilots use pull to go so it made it hard for me to give my planes to other pilots to fly. Course on some planes you could just reverse the arm on the carburetor as Paul mentioned but as they got more complicated (trying to cut down on the frontal area and the use of quarter-wave mufflers) I had to use the intermidiate bell cranks. As Doc mentioned Bill placed the 3-line bellcrank on the inside wing and then ran the throttle push rod to a intermidiate bell crank that moved the throttle push rod to the outside of the fuselage and then on to the carburetor. On the profiles it was simple and allowed a lot of leeway as to how you got to the carburetor and you could make a strong connection between the wing and fuselage (no gap to run the lines through). Ive always run my lines through the fuselage (profiles) because I figured that the 3-wire bellcranks we use would fall apart one day and at least if the bellcrank was one the outboard wing the plane wouldn't get away. Also I liked to put the bellcrank behind the tank (less frontal area). In my early days in carrier, this cost me a few wings being broken of the fuselage on my MO-1s. eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here