News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Sterling Gaurdian Kit  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Old Sterling Gaurdian Kit
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »
I was just given an old Sterling Guardian Kit by a co worker. He has had the kit for ever and the kit, Box, Balsa, Plans, and hardware are in the same condition as it was when the kit was brand new. He gave it to me because he wants to see it assembled and flying. My question is: Is there any event were this plane would still be legal? I would like to fly it in a carrier event if possible. I may not win any hardware, but I enter competitions like scale, and beginner stunt for the fun of being in the event. If there is no event were it is legal I'll build it more for sport flying. Smaller engine more forward CG etc..

Oh and the balsa is in great shape, and as hard, and as heavy as any other Sterling kit I have built before.

Leroy

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Old Sterling Gaurdian Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 08:28:47 PM »
Its still legal for Class 1 or 2 depending on the motor used although not that competitive for todays prop hanging. Its for sure legal in a nostalgia Class 2 event. Saw several fly at the NATS and they lookeg great.
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 04:53:31 AM »
Wayne;
    Thanks for the information. I'll review the rules and try to have fun.

Leroy

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:28:44 AM »
Wayne is right about the Sterling Guardian. I have a document by Dick Perry that lists all of the planes that are Nostalgia qualified and the Sterling is one of 152 that he found of which 20 were kitted. He shows it as being class 1 and 2 rated so you wouldnt have to put a barn burner engine in it if you wanted a more laid back plane. In his remarks section he notes '' One of the most popular kits under the old rules''. Dick also includes the rules inder which '' Nastalgia Carrier'' is flown today. eric

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »
Eric;
Do you have a soft copy of that Document?

Leroy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here