News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel 15 and prop?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Norvel 15 and prop?
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
Still planing the FJ4-15 and need some advice..

Anyone ever ran a Norvel 15? Have access to a new CL version, will need to come up with a carb and wondering if it might be hotter than an FP-15.

Also what props are working on some of the 15's in use?

Thanks
Bob

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: Norvel 15 and prop?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
In 15 carrier (glow) I run a Cox Conquest with a 7X6 prop. That seems to be the sweet spot for the Cox. I don't have any experience with a Norvel but the 7X6 would be a good starting point.
Bob Frogner

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
I agree with Bob.A conquest is the best shot. The MVVs is good too but a bit hard to get. The Norvell 15 is low on torque and won't get the job done.                 Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:06:06 AM »
Thanks guys even if it isn't what I was hoping to hear. The Cox like the Norvel is out of production and from what I remember of cox prices on eBay think I'll probably pass. I really don't care for the idea of running an out of production engine unless it falls into my lap like the Norvel.

Noticed a few were running Magnum 15's at Brodaks, might be the way to go if the FP or Novel won't work out.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »
The Norvel BigMigs are available again - but I wouldn't bother personally.  They are being imported by someone new and have gone way up in price for a motor that is not very competitive.  If you want to inquire about them, I can scrounge up an email address.

The Norvel AME's (if you can find one), Fox Schneurles and Magnums are all going to be about the same, speedwise. Probably not quite good enough to make the 70 mph speed limit, but competitive and the Magnums and Foxes are at least still available.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »

The Magnums seem to do pretty well, I have several and they all run fast. The top three would have had two Magnums at the fly-In if gary had not declined a trophy. The Novel was a good sport engine, I sold mine. The best in my view is still  the Conquest if you can find a good one.

One of the issues at Brodak's is fuel. we ask people to use 10% , it probably takes a bit of work to get any motor to run fast without the  high Nitro.

All that said, it is mostly the fliers that make the landings and have reliable airplanes the finish in the top tier. At Brodak's everyone would have been within 10 points of each other except for Tim LaNore and Paul Smith. They were the only two that really went very fast, and Paul was the fastest, but he didn't try to hang the plane. Tim used a Magnum by the way.

15 profile is supposed to be fun, don't get too serious.

John

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Just to throw another wrench in this topic, I like my electric 15. It was a converted glow plane that I converted to electric. It gets real close to 70mph and with a reverse rotation prop it stays out on the lines really nicely. I wouldn't go back to glow for 15. Electric is nice and reliable and has the power in this speed limited class.

I will gladly supply the details of my setup with anyone who is interested. It was an old Sniper with foam wings not even built for electric power so it can be improved easily.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bob Frogner

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
Good point Bob, I have asked for, and have preliminary approval to run electrics combined with glow in Sportsman and 15 profile next year at the Fly-In. I have sent in the rules to be posted on the Brodak site, they are basically the same as those ratified by the NCS.  A copy of the rules is included

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
There is no such thing as an "electric 15 or an electric 36".  If you want "electric Class II" be my guest.  

The quickest way to kill an event is to mix electrics with SMALL piston engines.

Getting an engine to go fast and idle without quitting is what it's all about.  Electrics have no place in carrier, unlesss it's in a totally different event.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:35:48 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
Good point Bob, I have asked for, and have preliminary approval to run electrics combined with glow in Sportsman and 15 profile next year at the Fly-In. I have sent in the rules to be posted on the Brodak site, they are basically the same as those ratified by the NCS.  A copy of the rules is included

Please make a posting as to whether or not this proposal in actually accepted.  Thank you for going public before we waste any more time on piston engine models for the 2011 Brodak.
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »
The Naval Carrier Society (NCS, the carrier SIG), has established provisional rules for all classes of carrier, including unofficial events such as Skyray and 15 carrier. Electric events have been run at the NATS for the last two or three years. The NCS goal is to make the events official. Whether they will be combined in current events or not has to be determined. Glow and electrics have competed successfully at the NATS, and in my view they could be combined. Stunt and scale already allow electrics.  15 profile and sportsman are good events I believe for trying the combined approach at Brodak's, especially since many stunt fliers also fly carrier and electrics in stunt are on the increase. Since electrics are not currently included in the AMA carrier rules they can not be used for those events.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
This discussion is clearly off the original topic, but you announced your intention here and I'll continue the discussion here.

15 Profile Carrier is one the most popular Carrier events at The Brodak and often THE most popular carrier event at The Brodak. 

Real people have invested time and money in the event as it currently stands.  These people will be totally wiped out if electrics are mixed with 15's.  The "new people" you hope to attract are imaginary.  The current customers are REAL. 

A 15 piston engine, which can be measured by bore and stroke has no chance whatsoever against a totally unlimited and unmeasurable electric system that can dump huge current to the motor for 25 seconds, then go all the way down to zero RPM and back to peak with no chance of stalling.

If electric is so great, just add an electric event.

Mixing electric & piston at the AMA Nats is the reason I don't enter, even though it's 100 miles closer than Carmichaels. 

There aren't that many people flying carrier.  Don't be running us off in hopes of gaining some fantasy flyers.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
I started a new thread.......

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »
Paul wrote:

A 15 piston engine, which can be measured by bore and stroke has no chance whatsoever against a totally unlimited and unmeasurable electric system that can dump huge current to the motor for 25 seconds, then go all the way down to zero RPM and back to peak with no chance of stalling.

Once again Paul you talk about unlimited electric power. THAT IS JUST NOT THE CASE. I don't know how many times you have to be reminded that there are limitations to the weight of the electric planes that effectively limit the power. Do some homework, understand the limitations of electrics, before you go making generalize and inaccurate statements. You are trying to make a point that has no basis in fact.

As far as low speed is concerned, going to zero and back up without stalling, there are still some of the same issues with electrics in modulating the power. It is little or no different than a glow motor. I have used both and know what I am talking about. Don't make statements when you don't understand the details.
Bob Frogner

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »
A Nelson 15, which never cost more than $175, can go up to 25,000 RPM, but can't idle much under 6,000, at which RPM the plane will try to do a wingover rather than go into a hover.
'
An electic motor can go to 25,000 RPM or more and then go down to ZERO RPM to get into the hover, with no chance of quitting.  A huge advantage!  Anyone who believes different probably still believes in Clinton and Obama.
Paul Smith

david smith

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
If you can't get the nelson down to the rpm you need then why don't you try another engine, maybe? I  don't know the exact rpm other people are running but I know that mvvs magnum fox OS don't seem to have a problem going slow why not use them?

It doesn't matter if the electric plane can do 200mph it still only gets scored for 70. So just put an engine on a plane an maybe practice low speed and you could play with the big bad "unlimited" electrics.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
     Ok Paul now I know where your coming from. You see you have to believe or certain things just never work out the way you want them to. Now take the Nelson .15 for example, you say it wont idle down much below 6k so you cant or have trouble getting into the hang. You have to "believe" Paul and the reason I say that is "I believe" and my Nelson .15 will go right down to a little below 4k. If you were to work real hard at believing you actually don't even need to go below 6k with a Nelson .15, at least I don't and again its probably has something to do with the believing thing. I run APC 7/4s with my Nelson .15 and anything slower than around 6k and my .15 planes start to fall out of the air and of course I save them by going into a hang and finishing the event.
     Now instead of believing your going to say that I use a MVVS in my .15 carrier planes and you would be right that most of the time I do (like in contests) but I do enjoy the high speed rush one gets for around 20 seconds with one of those Nelsons but then I have trouble with the torque of the Nelson while flying the low speed portion of the event so stick with the MVVS and its reverse crank. Oops, I confess I also believe in reverse cranks too, hope that doesn't blow my believe part.   Eric "the believer"

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
If any Conquest 15's or MVVS 15's were available would anyone on this forum be interested in obtaining one and pay the going price.
Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
Once you get a plane in the hang on low speed, are you still runnig the engine at it's lowest rpm?   In almost every plane I watched or timed it seemed the engines were idling pretty high during low speed after they got into the hanging portion.  I know all the planes I have will not stay airborne on full idle.  I gues I build too heavy. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 06:40:15 AM »
Some guys bought Norvells for Perky speed.  Did not work too good.  Big, heavy, and slow.

I need to get to a pretty low idle to get the nose up, or else it just does a wingover.  Then back to intermediate speed.

I had no trouble buying an MVVS from the same European suppliers that sell F2 stuff.  Not expensive, either.  I think I pay less than $150 for an engine with all the toys.

-------------
Here's one for under a huneret that you can buy easy.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/rc-airplanes.html?cat=1245&price=1%2C100
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:17:14 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
Here's a Nelson for you,, http://cgi.ebay.com/F1C-NEW-GENERATION-NELSON-15-AAC-ENGINE-GEER-NEW-/280567780852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41532495f4

It's a geared F1C model with 3-to-1 planetary, two-blade folder and prop brake, currently at $660.

However, unlike the units recently sold by Hardy, it lacks the backplate mount, fuel regulator, and integral bladder nipple.

No doubt, the seller is laying this laying this unit off to step up into a 4-to-1 Nelson with the full speed stabilizing and cooling prop at the hub.

We have F1 guys in our club, and they don't mind spending a buck to win, or at least get competitive.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:26 PM »
Just bought a new Magnum 15 off eBay for $50.00 which is about all I would spend on an engine for 15 carrier. If 15 carrier included a claim rule for say $75.00 you wouldn't see any Nelsons and it would really make it an entry level event, at least as far as equipment goes. Seems to work pretty well on the home town stock car circuit.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
A question:  I thought Mecoa was selling the Cox Conquest?  I have seen it on their site, I am sure...... ??

Another thought, not regarding the Conquest, but the older schnerule rear rotor K&B.  I have had those in the past for Goodyear racing, but not even a thought of Carrier use.  Thoughts?

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »
Just bought a new Magnum 15 off eBay for $50.00 which is about all I would spend on an engine for 15 carrier. If 15 carrier included a claim rule for say $75.00 you wouldn't see any Nelsons and it would really make it an entry level event, at least as far as equipment goes. Seems to work pretty well on the home town stock car circuit.

It really doesn't make much difference when they open the event up to electric motors with five times more powerful than any genuine 15, and to top it off, no chance of quitting at low speed and the coupe de grace, left hand rotation at no extra cost.

----------------
"Claiming" has been proposed several times, but I've never seen it applied to a CL event.  It might work in horse racing, but it never has in CL.  Carrier is one place where the chance of such a thing is zero point zero.  The owners of the event just jiggle rules to make it MORE expensive and higher performance. Never less.

$75 would put an effective lid on electrics, other than those willing to sacrifice a whole electro-drive system to win one contest.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:57:38 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »
If want to fly Carrier  for fun, don't complain about the guys/gals that have the money to spend on top notch equipment.  If electric becomes legal in the regular carrir events, I think that would be the death knell for carrier.  I hope electric stays as a seperate event for those that want it. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
A question:  I thought Mecoa was selling the Cox Conquest?  I have seen it on their site, I am sure...... ??

Another thought, not regarding the Conquest, but the older schnerule rear rotor K&B.  I have had those in the past for Goodyear racing, but not even a thought of Carrier use.  Thoughts?

Big Bear

The way the rules are currently worded, rear rotors are not allowed.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
This has wandered a long way off the original track, but I assume you are referring to this verbage in the AMA Rule Book:

"3.3.1. The engines in the Profile Navy Carrier event shall have a maximum total displacement of .3661 cubic inch. Two-stroke cycle engines must be of the front-intake type.....
 No pressure fuel systems will be permitted; however, the vents in the tank may be pointed...."

However, I would take the postion that this section of the 15 Profile Carrier rules over rides that whole paragraph.

"...AMA Official Profile Navy Carrier rules apply except as follows:

...Engine: 0.1525 cubic inch maximum displacement.  
Flying Lines: Minimum line diameter:..."

Furthermore, event directors have allowed muffler pressure in 15 Carrier, this confirming that paragraph 3.3.1 of the AMA Book is overridden by the simple .1525 cubic inch rule.

Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
Since .15 is unofficial, any CD/ED is free to make any interpretation of modification desired.

Ever since the inception of .15 a couple of our local Midwest clubs have allowed cross-flow .19's  in .15 Carrier.  I don't know of anyone EVER actually entering a .19 powered model at a contest, but the sentence has been in my contest flyers ever since.  That doesn't make it the standard for the rest of the country however -- nor does some ED somewhere allowing a muffler pressure equiped model make it incumbent on me to allow pressure or rear-rotors.

My advice is to contact the organizers and make sure that you will be OK to fly anything that is questionable and not rely on an interpretation by me or anyone else not connected to the contest in question.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

In order to answer Bill's question regarding the rear-rotor K&B - I've only 2nd hand information because I've never seen one on an actual GY, but opinion was that the motor was not competitive in GY.  No doubt, there must have been some that ran pretty good or K&B would not have brought them out at all, but they never seemed to catch on in racing (or in free flight, either, for that matter).

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »
I have two of the K&B RV 15's.   They went fine for FAI Combat (F2D). They were used successfully in RC Quarter Midget (15) pylon racing and could be bought complete with Perry carb. But in racing, being the fastest (with good pitting) is what counts, so they were squeezed out by the Rossi.

I took yet another look at the NCS (Denver rules) on 15 Profile Carrier;

Engine: 0.1525 cubic inch maximum displacement.

I think that one line says it all. Anything goes, within the swept volume limit. Muffler pressure, tuned pipe, crankcase, bar stock engine. Run what you brung. Subject, of course to the 70 MPH lid on the speed score.  It isn't exactly a "local" event. Unless amendments are posted, contestants expect the standard rules.

From a practical pint of view, current RC engines are generally sold set up for mufflers and muffler pressure and they won't work without it. At least not without some custom work. Look at it this way: The muffler pressure adds some boost, but the muffler also adds weight and reduces power, so it's a wash at best. Allowing muffler pressure (as the rules passively attest) lets you simply buy and fly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:48:44 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Muffler pressure
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
I discovered one could make a TT 36 carb work by simply sticking a pressure fitting in front of the exhaust outlet. I used a small piece of aluminum bolted to one of the engine muffler lugs with the pressure fitting held just inside the exhaust port. It worked but as I read the rules it wasn't legal for profile.

Hoping the Magnum 15 will work without muffler pressure but if it doesn't here we go again........

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
I find that RC carbs are typically too big to run without muffler pressure.  As you note this is illegal in 36 Profile, but as I see it, OK in 15 or the scale classes.

One fix is to tear down the carb and choke it down with epoxy.
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
Bob,
The problem with the TT36 carb is the way the fuel nipple feeds into the carb. It goes into a collector ring which does not work right if only suction is used. It was apparently designed for muffler pressure. By the way the Norvel 15 carb used the same design and will not run without muffler presure. Both will idle OK but high speed will always be too lean.
I replaced the carb on my TT36 with an OS 4D, no longer made, but there are a lot of them around. At Brodak's muffler pressure is allowed in Sportsman and 15 profile. But as these are unofficial events so it is best to check with the CD as rules may vary locally. AMA carrier does not allow any pressure in profile, but presswure of any type is OK in Class I and II.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 07:06:35 AM »
      Bob, I use a Norvel AME .15 on a combat plane. Another club member uses a FP.15 for his. Although, our planes differ in size the speeds are very much equal. My Norvel suffered a midair last year in which the  prop stud snapped off the front of the shaft and it went into a horrible shaft run. This put a hurtin on the engine. I did though manage to replace bearings and polish up a few parts and its getting happier and happier. We were both using Master Airscrew 7x4's and also APC 7x4's. I believe the FP likes the MA prop more than the APC. I use APC's on my Norvel and the instructions recommended that prop as well. We could both get into the 20k range. Since my engine has taken a bit more abuse I don't think I'm currently seeing that right now. I do think though when it was new it would of been slightly faster than the FP but they're real close for power. Others say they have problems restarting the Norvel's but I didn't seem to have that situation with mine I love it. I don't know anything about carrier, but we were using these engines with no mufflers and 35% Sig fuel. The problems your faced with is its hard to find parts for either engine. I searched for a rod for my FP.15 for almost a year. The Norvel as mentioned has a newer supplier which I hope to be using shortly. The nice thing though is the Norvel in my plane being the AME is the ball bearing engine which is a big improvement for power over the plain bearing Big Mig version.I tried the APC 6.3x4 early on and it was really revving high and after a few flights the prop started to show some funny white marks in the blades. I discarded the prop but that could've been from a bad landing. I just felt as though I wasn't getting the drive needed for the plane. At a recent contest this summer my son flew the plane against the other competitors in which they were using 25 size engines on up and the Norvel was keeping the pace. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
I guess Paul missed the line that says AMA profile rules apply.  No rear intake engines allowed.  Must be front intake according to Profile Carrier Rules.  What gets me is if we use a muffler we are limited to 10% nitro.  No muffler can run as much nitro the engine will stand.  Guys must remember even tho there are the four unofficial events in the NCS, that the AMA rules still also apply.  But, a person can have a Class C sanction and run the rules he/she wants for their contest as long as every one knows about them well in advance of the contest(30 days normally). VD~ S?P H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here