News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie questions about Carrier  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Newbie questions about Carrier
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
Guys,

I have never built or flown a Carrier model-------but I think I want to give it a try.  Years ago I did design and build a CL F4-like model with an ST 46 RC with J Roberts system. It was lots of fun but it was mostly for fun/sport/stunt flying.

I have a NIB TT 36 RC and Webra 32 RC engines (also a couple of Rossi 45's) and have thought about one of the Brodak profile models to get started........

Comments and advice requested---please!!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Newbie questions about Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:02 AM »
Jim, my first choice would be the TT36. Good begiinners motor coupled with the Brodak Guardian is my suggestion. That would be an excellent starting point.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »
I agree with Wayne's suggestion. Also, order the Carrier plans CD from Tom Wilkes. Studying those plans will give you invaluable ideas on how to rig throttles, tanks, hooks, mount bellcranks etc. These are the type of issues you will encounter on every carrier plane you build. Use the ideas you like, discard the rest.  8)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:29:04 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:00:51 AM »
Jim,

Great to have another potential carrier flyer.  It's a fun event.

I would also recommend the TT36. They are very reliable and have good power.

A couple of suggestions if you build the Brodak Guardian. They fly best when they are modified slightly. Cut 3/8" out of the fuselage (top to bottom). The side profile is too big. Eliminate the last rib on each wing tip. You don't need the full span. Put the bellcarnk on the outside of the wing. Mount it under or over the wing, whichever you feel is easier. Having the bellcrank inside makes it difficult to adjust and work on.

Those changes were suggested to me by the models designer, Bill Calkins. He feels they are needed.

Ask any questions here and we will all help as much as we can.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »
Good to have you interested in Carrier, Jim. I suggest you immediately join the Navy Carrier Society by sending $6 for each year's dues to Navy Carrier Society, c/o Ted Kraver, 225 W. Orchid Lane, Phoenix, AZ 85021. Include your email for electronic receipt of the Newsletter. This will keep you up to date on what's going on. You might even request Newsletter Editor Gary Hull for a copy of the July-August 2009 Hi Low Landings newsletter. In that issue, I have written a three page article on modifying the Calkins Guardian from Brodak for competition. In addition to the modifications Bob Frogner mentioned, which were developed by Bill Calkins, there are other details on the construction that you might find useful. I was able to build the airplane in 7 days (copying the kit, so I still have the kit to make another one,) drove to Muncie on the 8th day, took a few test flights the 9th, and won Profile at the Nats the next day. It flies nicely enough that you don't have to be an expert to get it to fly, either. There will be some information on this coming out in an article in Control Line World by Gary Hull. It may not have quite as many details, though.
Pete

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
Thanks for the info so far-------keep it coming, please.

I have read all the Carrier items in CLW (from the very first issue to the most recent) and will sign up for the Carrier newsletter. 

I have a friend (we are both members of the Central Alabama Stunt Squadron) that is also interested--we talked this morning about building a deck since we don't know of one in this area.  He has plans and a list of materials.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
Dues will be in the mail tomorow. H^^

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Kelly Wilson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
 How can I get a copy of the Tom Wilkes carrier plans CD?  I'd sure like to get a copy.

Kelly Wilson

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »
http://www.cpinternet.com/~tawilk36/      There ya go.  Mike
mike potter

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:04:26 AM »
to all

you can also contact me direct at:

tawilk36@cpinternet.com

Tom Wilk  S?P Z@@ZZZ

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
hi
there is also a .15 class for a smaller plane and motor and the rules are  way less sringent the wingspan is smaller rules seem to be more lax
  planes are a little bit harder to fly due to there size but gary can help out with all those questions join up...
roger at rmiata1@yahoo.com 

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
Jim,

Great to have another potential carrier flyer.  It's a fun event.

I would also recommend the TT36. They are very reliable and have good power.

A couple of suggestions if you build the Brodak Guardian. They fly best when they are modified slightly. Cut 3/8" out of the fuselage (top to bottom). The side profile is too big. Eliminate the last rib on each wing tip. You don't need the full span. Put the bellcarnk on the outside of the wing. Mount it under or over the wing, whichever you feel is easier. Having the bellcrank inside makes it difficult to adjust and work on.

Those changes were suggested to me by the models designer, Bill Calkins. He feels they are needed.

Ask any questions here and we will all help as much as we can.

Bob
Don't put the bellcrank on top of the wing. I've got one of those turkeys and when it slows down, it wants to turn in at you.
I just watched Pete Mazur to 5 minutes and 46 seconds on his Gujardian yesterday using these modifications

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »
toms web page or e mail address seems to be massed up

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »
Hi all;

If you are trying to see my web page and it isn't loading - it is a micro-soft explorer problem.  My desktop has the latest xp release and it won't open -- my laptop has an older version of xp and it is just fine.  if you download firefox it open OK.

My ISP is dumping or losing my emails.   to contact me use this email address;
tawilk636@live.com.

Tom Wilk - aka old magazine plans on CD.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
I'm not sure of the bellcrank mount/platform in the "Bill Caulkins" Brodak Guardian, but be sure to examine what he and Pete have done in that respect to insure it will pass the pull-test, should you decide to compete with it.
Welcome aboard, dale g

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »
For the Guardian Bill suggests that you mount the bellcrank on the bottom of the wing (the plans show it mounted inside the wing but that is a pain to work with). I have built both of Bill's designs, the Guardian and the Sea Vampire. The platform is a double thickness of 1/8" ply mounted between the innermost ribs with some 1/4" square balsa blocking on the sides for support. Nothing real fancy but it will easily  stand the pull test for Profile class.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »
Thanks guys......we have the list of mods for the Guardian and plan to mount the bellcrank below the wing, per the mod suggestion.

I want to avoid the extra linkage necessary to get from the inboard side of the fuse to the outboard side (saw a pic of that setup someplace) so will mount the bellcrank to achieve that.  Winter project!!

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »
I hope you review the details in my Hi Low Landings article on the bellcrank mounting. I got it right. Even after years of use it will take a 100 lb pull test! (It's just careful design, not a lot of extra weight, though.) You may also want to review the design of the transfer crank that brings the throttle from one side of the fuse to the other. This is really a good setup and I recommend you use it. Two reasons: The bellcrank mount is simple and strong, and moving the bellcrank farther outboard means you have to cut out the important part of the fuse bottom. And having this mechanism has allowed my pit crew to to hold the throttle in any position with one finger in a safe position, on the inboard side of the fuse far away from the prop, engine, and exhaust. It was really simple to make, and the metals selection worked out very well for good performance and lifetime.
The article may have only taken a few days to write, and the airplane only a week to build, but the article contains 42 years of "carrier secrets." I hope they work as well for you as they have for me.
Pete

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here