News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Profile Carrier plane, modified from Monarch slow.  (Read 643 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Profile Carrier plane, modified from Monarch slow.
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »
Welllllll, I got my Bearcat flying, but flyablity wasn't all that I'd hoped for.  One on my flying buddies suggested that I might be better off modifying one of my many old Slow Combat planes, which fly quite well but don't have a current mission.

So I did just that.  Armed with a damaged Slow and a Profile Publication of the Fairey Fulmar, I put this together.  The covering is Oracoat from Balsa USA (who is also the source of the wood in this and all my planes).  The covering is great for bare foam and wood, but too light for open work, except maybe 1/2A's.   Part of the fuselage is painted with Behr epoxy, color-matched to the Oracoat by Home Depot.
Paul Smith

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: New Profile Carrier plane, modified from Monarch slow.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »
Very nice looking but I think you need some color to brighten it up a bit (just joking, it looks good). I especially like the panel/surface markings. They give it some really nice detail. I have never tried that before. How do you apply them? I'm not a very good finish modeler, I get too anxious to fly them!!!

Next question, what fuel do you use? How much nitro? Does the Behr paint stand up to the abuse?

How does it fly? Inquiring minds want to know.........
Bob Frogner

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »
Thus far I've just been flying on 10% to get things trimmed out.  No numbers to speak of yet.

The Behr paint is white garage floor epoxy.  While called "epoxy", it's only one part.  I bought a gallon at Home Depot and had them split it into four quarts.  I then had them scan four different colors of iron-on film and tint the quarts to match.  The color came out perfect except that it's matte finish.  The whole deal cost about $50.

For a lot of projects, matte is just what you want.  Fuel proofing is good.  Better than any of the current options, except 2-part epoxy.   It's kinda heavy, so I limit to use to nose areas.   To achieve a matching gloss and perfect fuel protection, I sacrificed a tea spoon full of my hoard of genuine Hobby Poxy clear.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »
A question, Paul, Is the rudder hinged to deflect more on slow flight?  I see quite a bit of rudder deflection which would seem to hurt high speed. ??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here