News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:14:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nelson .36 as a Carrier engine  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nelson .36 as a Carrier engine
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:57:19 AM »
Has anybody had success with getting a Nelson to work with a throttle?

Any hints on attaching one to the engine?
Paul Smith

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Nelson .36 as a Carrier engine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 10:38:38 AM »
Although you didnt state which Nelson 36 your asking about I'll take a guess on the Combat engine. Yes you can use these in carrier by adding a carb. to them. Almost all of the ones I've seen have a OS 4D carb. installed on them. Bob Frogner in the SF bay area uses one and has had good resaults with it and I hope he will jump in here and comment. I think you will find it a pretty tight fit up front(the room between the cylinder fins and the propeller) for the carb. but it is no problem. A very small area of one or two of the fins needs to be ground back so the idle adjustment screw on the 4D has room to fit. The carb. is installed with JB weld and there are no air leaks after JB cures. If you want to remove the carb. you can by heating the JB weld with a paint remover heat gun and then pulling it out with a pair of pliers. Kinda like pulling a tooth, well sorta. I'm sure there will be more post from people that are using this engine that can give you there first hand experience with it. eric

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
My engine is of the Combat type, actually the only Nelson 36 that I know of.

It has a square venturi, angled forward, like an old Fox Combat Special.  It looks to me like I'd need to cut off part of the venturi to install the throttle, a job I hate to do on such a high-value engine.
Paul Smith

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
We have to hope that one of the fellows that use this engine jumps in here and and tells us about whether you need to shorten the intake to add the carb.. There is another Nelson 36 that is used in carrier that I am very familiar with as it is the one that I use. It is one of Henry Nelson's Sport 40 or Q-500 engines that has a different piston and sleeve installed in it that brings it down to a 36. It also has a reverse rotation crank so it tends to handle a little better in low speed. A really nice engine and much beefier(and heavier) than the Combat engine. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »
The Nelson combat engine works very well with a carb. As Eric described I have one with the OS 4d carb mounted with JB weld. It is a tight fit for the one adjustment screw but it does work.  You have to saw off the square stack on the engine, be sure to do  this upside down and with some wadding in the hole to prevent chips from getting in the engine. As I recall I had to shave just a small amount (about  .010 or .020") off of each of the sides of the carb body to fit it into the square hole. Again be careful not to use too much JB Weld so that you don't get any down around the crank. I did have the carb come loose after about 2 years of flying. When I went to repair it I found that I had not gotten enough JB Weld on the front side of the carb. I just cleaned and recemented it and it works fine. Something to watch for.

As far as performance I have found with this carb that you can get a really good high speed and a very, smooth transition from low to high with the throttle. It throttles extremely well which is important during low speed. I have been very happy with it. It may not be quite as fast as Eric's sleeved 40 to 36, but it moves my almost 3 Lb Vampire at very near 20 sec for high speed (from release on the deck so the plane in the air is probably getting close to 100MPH). I have to hold on pretty hard!!!

Good luck if you try it. If you have more questions please let me know and I'll try and help.
Bob Frogner

Offline Melvin Schuette

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:16:14 PM »
I am currently running one of Henry's front intake side exhaust 36s (he makes a 36 in a 40 case) with an OS 4d carb. It is the easiest way to go fast.  The only drawback I see with the engine is the problems that I had trying to get a consistant idle using his glow plugs, the fix was having a headbutton  made that accepts a 1/4-32 glow plug.

Melvin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here