News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 2328 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some help
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Guys I have a couple of people who have requested some custom cut kits of carrier planes and I do not know where to find the plans.  One of them is the Mauler and the other is a J Roberts Corsair.  Would anyone have those plans or know where I could find them?

Thank you.

Mike Griffin

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
Pretty sure both are on Tom Wilk's CD, think he is regestered as Thomas Wilk on the forum. 

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Mike,
I have plans for Melton Guardian. Its a profile and nice plans. Might need update as no slider on it. If i can dig them out you are welcome to them. Plus I have plans to Profile Corsair Robert's copy. Really neat airplane.
Dan

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
Thanks Guys.  Yes Dan would love to have a copy and be glad to reimburse you for your cost.  I have to admit that I know very little about Carrier planes.  I have always produced stunt planes.  I have been asked if I would be open to doing kit runs on Carrier planes and I would be very interested but I have no idea what planes you all would want in a kit and who to contact to get their permission to kit their designs.  I would offer them as a laser cut kit like I do my stunt kits.  Any help you all can give me as far as suggestions for designs to kit or where to get plans would be greatly appreciated.  I am wading in some new waters here.   :)

Thank you

Mike

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
If you do the Corsair let me know! Brodak's still offers the profile canopy.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:42 PM »
Hi Mike,

I have a set of plans for the Mauler, but as you know, no fuse formers are shown.  I don't know if the Corsair plans show formers or not.......

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
I would suggest purchasing Tom Wilkes CD of carrier plans. Study it. It list just about every plane that has been kitted by class and type and will give you some idea of what you may be getting yourself into. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »
I just looked and the built up fuselage Corsair on Tom's CD wasn't really designed as a carrier airplane, no tail hook and shows a Fox 35 for the engine. It does show the fuselage formers but the design would need to be changed to beef up the landing gear and add a tail hook.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
Sounds like a different plane than the Robert Corsair. Problem I can see with the Mauler would be the carved fuselage may be hard to duplicate in a kit. My preference is the Bill Boss Guardian. As most built up carrier designs it is a pretty complex build though. Re-issue of the Sterling Guardian as an alternative?  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
I also have plans for Class 2 Areobonita. This was modified P-39 trail dragger. Full body ship with all parts shown.  Dan

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
Uh oh, here we go again. If it is the Reeves Airabonita it is a class 1 ship.  Planked fuselage, not an easy build. For designs of that era, I'd like to see the Class 1 Mustang, forgot the designer's name, side mount engine like the Airabonita but standard fuselage construction. It's been on my "to build" list for years. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
Correct on plans but were scaled up by Jim Dross. He won Nats Carrier in the mid 70's His planes were in AMA mag I belive July 1975. So guy has some idea of what he is doing. Agree not easy build but its class 1 or 2. Jim enlarged plans to suit class2.
 ;D

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »
Glad there are two versions, 1 and 2. I know the one published in MAN were of the class 1 version. Mine was clocked at 109 mph w/ a K&B 40 RR under pressure. Those were the days!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »
Pete,
Your plane was moving. I have a new ST G60 R/ ABC Perry ported with 550 Kavan pressure carb. All blueprinted and ready to run. Has baffel for exhaust.  At persent working on two Calss 1 ships.  The more I look at these plans  just maybe?

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
Mike - Were you talking about the J. Roberts AU-1 Corsair (full fuse.) or the Profile version?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
Thought of the designer of the Class I Mustang I referred to: John Blum. Another Class I favorite was the "Little" Devastator. May have been a Roland Baltes design. Ron Duly would know. That one a bit easier build, no flaps but flew well. Might be a possibility for what Mike is considering. I think these smaller Class I jobs would be perfect for a modern .32-.36 engine. If I would only quit building stunt planes... 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
I would like to see a class1/2 MO-1 kit.  Something that is a good known quanity for the newbies and experienced alike.  Plus a known performer for profile carrier, either .36 or .15.  Something that is easy to build and fly for inexperienced carrier guys.  Let's make it easy to get new people in.

Darrel

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I just looked at my Mauler plans, and it shows former locations. They are from a Sturdy Built kit for class 2.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »
Golden State Models kitted Dick Perry's MO-1 at one time. Easy build, excellent performer, they show up now and again. Brodak Guardian not a bad plane for beginners (or experts). As far as Mikes question, why not get with an established carrier competitor and kit a current design? Bill Bishop's Zero comes to mind.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
Thanks Guys.  Yes Dan would love to have a copy and be glad to reimburse you for your cost.  I have to admit that I know very little about Carrier planes.  I have always produced stunt planes.  I have been asked if I would be open to doing kit runs on Carrier planes and I would be very interested but I have no idea what planes you all would want in a kit and who to contact to get their permission to kit their designs.  I would offer them as a laser cut kit like I do my stunt kits.  Any help you all can give me as far as suggestions for designs to kit or where to get plans would be greatly appreciated.  I am wading in some new waters here.   :)

Thank you

Mike

Mike, I have both complete kits...sent you an email  H^^

I just pulled out the Corsair and Jim is correct, the plans do not show rib outlines wing or otherwise.  I'll take a stab at tracing some parts tomorrow evening.  Don't forget, the Corsair originally had a spun aluminum cowling

And as far as who would need to approve...doesn't Brodak make the other J Roberts planes, would they likely be the current owner of that name?

Jim, I haven't forgot... I'm just a little slow  HB~>
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:42:27 PM by Dennis Holler »
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
Mike - Were you talking about the J. Roberts AU-1 Corsair (full fuse.) or the Profile version?
'

The full fuselage .... and thanks to everyone on here who is giving me information and help.   I appreciate all this input and feedback...

Mike

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
Lee,
Yes, the locations are shown----and I could fudge the shapes, if I have to, but if I can get tracings, I will take the easy way.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
Jim. I can scan the formers, and send the scans to you  If you want let me know.  I will be out of town for around 11 days, but can get them done when I get back.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
Guys,

Today I received a package from Ed Shearer with outlines of all the formers from the Mauler kit; Thanks, Ed!!

Ed also has a Corsair kit (partially built, I think), that he can trace formers from, and maybe get the plans copied......stay tuned.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
Jim, I checked out my Mauler kit, and made copies of the formers.  I am short two in my kit.
The balsa former I and the ply former H. I sure could use an outline for those.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
Lee,
PM me your mailing address.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
Jim, you have mail.  H^^
Thanks, Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »
I also have plans for Class 2 Areobonita. This was modified P-39 trail dragger. Full body ship with all parts shown.  Dan

Like the P-51 was a modified P-40! Only the configuration was the same.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here