Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

NCS Forum

<< < (2/4) > >>

eric conley:
Fox never did make a CW crank for the 15. There was a lot of talk about it but nothing ever happened. MVVS made a 15 engine with a CW crank for a while but all the re-sellers say they cant get them anymore ( I think this is BS on the part of the re-sellers). Wiley made a after market CW crank for the Conquest that Bill Bischoff used but they dried up after Wiley passed away. I use the MVVS with a CW crank and find it to be a little underpowered but OK. Before the MVVS I used a Conquest with CCW crank but after breaking 2 of the CW cranks (all I could get my hands on) I used the stock Conquest with good results. The Conquest seems to me to be the stongest 15 engine out there for Carrier and once you become a pretty good flyer (practice, practice, practice) makes almost no difference whether its CW, or CCW.
The torque kick on throttle-up that LOU speeks of is better in the CW engine BUT I think you will find the better flyers handle the throttle in such a way that there is little or no KICK when they throttle up (practice, '', ''). I dont have never used the newer Fox 15 so dont know how powerful they are but if they have a few ponies in them they might be fine (practice, cant say this enough) in this event.
Competitive Carrier events like all of the other events in CL flying are not for the cheapest engines, props, ect.. I always get the feeling that a lot of people think carrier is a make-up event that you fly as a pick-up event when they go to a contest to fly Scale, Speed, Race, Stunt, or Combat.

bfrog:
Just have to put my 2 cents worth in here. 15 Carrier is definitely not a beginners event even though a lot of people think it is. It is much easier to fly a 36 profile plane than the 15. I always recommend the larger sized plane for someone that is interested in starting carrier.Most people think since its a smaller plane its easier to handle, that is definitely not the case. I know there are some that think the addition of a slider in 36 profile adds a lot of complication to the model. My experience is that once you have worked out the bugs it adds tremendously to the ease of low speed and makes the event more fun. It is more than worth the effort. If you are not of a mind to add a slider, fly in Sportsman and do the best you can.

As for the CW crank, it does have its advantages, especially in 15. My 15 electric runs CW and I find I have more line tension at low speed than my glow 15. It still comes down to practice and balance of the airplane. The better the balance the easier it is to fly. By balance I mean the trade off between high speed stability and low speed hanging. This is a combination of line rake and CG. To get the plane to fly in both modes you have to try different combinations and find out what works best. Again its trial and error and practice. Once you get it right, or as close as you can, its much easier to get better low speed without sacrificing too much high speed.

Paul Smith:
Of course the backwards crank & pusher prop enhances performance.  No argument there.

The point is: If everybody does it, the performance is again equalized, just at a higher cost. 
The only benefit is higher numbers of points and lower numbers of people.  Is that what the carrier commmunity wants?

------------------------

As I see it, Class II is clearly a big bucks, money is no object, Top Gun event.  So throw money on the fire and let 'er rip.  If you want to fly a $3,000 airplane, fine, I'll hide in the cage and time it.

But each of the others events started out as relief for Class II, and pretty soon devolved into yet another all-out money war. 

Begineers, no. But maybe a relief from the expremes of the other events.

bfrog:
Profile 36 does not have to be big bucks to be competitive. Here is proof. Randy Bush flies an older Bearcat model that he converted to carrier. He uses a stock Thunder Tiger 36 motor. He has been flying carrier for about 1 year now. At the event in Oregon earlier this year he posted a score of 342+ points. He is currently #4 on the NCS top twenty list, just behind 3 very experienced people and ahead of many other very experienced people.

He did not spend $3000 on his equipment, he did not build a high tech, gimmicky model. He put together a reasonable package and practiced with it. He trimmed it so that it would fly well. He is getting excellent results. No he is not #1 but he is very competitive. You don't have to set National records to do well in the event and HAVE FUN. It does not take tons of money, a special MO-1, a trick Nelson motor or high nitro fuel. You just have to build, PRACTICE and fly.

I can't think of any way to make the point more clear. You can talk or post all the whining you want but the results speak for themselves.

Paul Smith:
Profile Carrier : Sure you have to build, fly, and practice.

But first, buy a Nelson 36 with a throttle and get a Left Hand crank for it, find some pusher props of the necessary prize.  How much for the engine & prop?  Maybe $500 all in?

----------------------------------------

When the event had some realistic rules, I built, tested, practiced, adjusted, tuned, and took 1st & 3rd place in the Nats. 
Did it take work ? Sure it did.  But money and custom machining was not a barrier.
Total engine cost for three different stock plain bearing 35's : under $75.

Today's event is less popular and no better than it was in the 1969-1975 era, just exponentially more expensive and intentionally made exclusive by allowing equipment that is not commonly available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version