News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NCS .15 Carrier  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NCS .15 Carrier
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
What are the nominal dimensions (Span, Area, weight, etc.) for a .15 carrier model?

Are there competitive engines available from normal distribution channels (not eBay)?
Qualifying statement: I have no interest in a reverse rotation engine.

In order to be competitive does the high speed have to max out @ 70 mph?

Thanks.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: NCS .15 Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:14 AM »
The Brodak Junior Lightning Streak has worked well for me.

The rules are good in that they "only" allow the movement of throttle, elevator and hook.

You could win with just about any old combat engine - unless there is somebody in your area who exploits the two giganitc lookholes - reverse rotation and electric motors. 

There is no such thing as an "electric 15".  With unlimited powere and no chance of flaming out on low speed, the electric motor is a whole 'nother ting.  I go to The Nats every year and could easily enter, but never will while the guy who craves the win continues to muscle his elecric into the 15 event.

I don't have the technology to make a reverse crankshaft, either. 

This could be a BIG event if a few guys in power chose to plug their loopholes.

Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
There are plenty of surpluss 15-throttles around, from Cox Conquests used for F2D and from LA15's retrofitted for Clown Racing.

In circa 1990, there was a fruit market revision of the F2D rules that left countless heathly 15's in the boxes and parts drawers.  In the absence of electrics and left-handers you could, like me, fly the event at near-zero cost.

Simply take the venturi from your old combat engine and epoxy one of these throttles into it.  

I was able to easily beat the 70 MPH limit, but gave a little ground on the high end in the interest of a better low.  I have been able to win  without breaking 70, but not against electrics and lefties.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:40:09 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
Now you kind of know why I have lost interest in carrier.  Electric should have it own event.  I too am still waiting on a reverse rotation .15.  My Fox .36 left hand will not run for me in a typical profile ship.  Upright on the bench it is one sweet engine with plenty of power and throttle control.  Turn it on its side and all it wants to do is scream with no throttle control.  DOC Holliday 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
OK...I get the picture. I'll deal with the powerplant issue. Thanks for your opinions.

Back to the planes...

The Brodak Junior Lightning Streak has a 31" span and 230 sq.in. area. Is this a nominal size for the typical model? What about scale appearing designs? I haven't been topside on the deck for awhile so these tiddlers are new to me. They're a bit removed from my Mc Coy -60- Guardian. I spent too much time breathing 80%  :X   at the Speed circle.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
If you want to fly NCS Carrier .15 Profile, it's really tough. You have to bolt on a .15 with a throttle , MVVS, Fox, LA, whatever, rig it up and fly it. There are plans available for the "winningist" .15 ever, the Sniper, by Bill Bischoff, give him a call. (Somewhere on this forum are a couple of pictures of a Sniper, it isn't all that pretty, but can easily be made to look like anything, Seafury, Hellcat, Guardian, etc.) It has been a while, but Bill, myself and Mike Greb went 1-2-3 at the Nats with Snipers, maybe we shouldn't be doing that, it's an entry level event? Guess what? Now there are two levels of participation, if you score above 200, you're in the upper echelon, "expert" if you will....below 200 and your a "Sportsman". So there are prizes to go around. Electrics don't automatically win, I'll bet BFrog a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse in Muncie my Irvine (not reverse rotation) Sniper can beat his electric one! I'd make the same wager with Pete, but he can beat me with an electric or an IC motor, probably could with a few strands of Pirelli and a rubber motor, too!

There is a problem, though, and the real Navy Carrier pilots have solved it- you gotta overcome obstacles along the way- a motor that won't run, a sticky bellcrank, an arresting hook that goes up instead of down, a whining noise in your ears. If you can't solve it, then ask someone, there are lots of folks willing to help. If one gives up easily, then just maybe he just isn't that interested in the first place. That's the satisfaction inherent in Carrier, engineering solutions and solving problems.  

Wichita just had Carrier included in their contest, set up the deck, timers and pit crew at the ready, and three entries showed up, make it four, I entered, too. The Seaton family did all the hard work, just wish we had more to show up to fly. Tough competition or tough rules are not deterents to Carrier, participation is. Carrier will be flown at Albuquequequereque this weekend, hope a bunch show up......dg:)

Whew, left out the answer to the question, sorry. I recommend the Irvine 15. Mine easily makes the speed limit, runs smoothly on Ritch's Brew 25% nitro, and uses the easily available APC 7x4 prop. But be careful, they sometimes start without a battery connected.

david smith

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
If I recall right there were no electrics in 15 carrier at the nats and all of the other electrics have there own classes except the skyray 35.  Even though they are combined in skyray there is still a speed limit  so I really see no advantage to electric or disadvantage to gas.The skyray that my brother flew has a stock os 32 that with a knicked and beat up master airscrew 9-5 will do the speed limit. and not to mention that the plane is at least 10 years old with a warped wing. Guess what else IT DOESNT HANG and he got 3rd with it at the Nats, I came in second with it at Polk city and he won with it at SIG.

Well before I get too far off topic here is some specs on my .15
33in. wingspan
~190 sq in
1lb 10 oz
O.S. LA .15
Top Flight wood 7-4
It is an A-7 Corsair II it could probably use a little more wing area but it isnt too bad for a beginner plane.  It has around a 60mph high speed so to answer your question no you dont have to be at the speed limit to be competitive. It is kind of sad to say that if you have a high, low and a good landing then you will probably be competitive.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »
If you want to fly NCS Carrier .15 Profile, it's really tough. You have to bolt on a .15 with a throttle , .....  fly it.

Good post, Dale.  Unfortunately, there are those few who take every opportunity to whine incessantly with the same old complaints - I consider all the comments about personal opinions of what should or should not be legal to be off topic -  the original poster asked three very pointed questions which were only partially answered.  One of the replies included what can only be described as a personal attack on Bob Frogner, since he has the only electric .15 in existence.  As far as I know, Bob pulled no strings nor 'muscled' his way into any event - official or unofficial.  Yet, thread after thread garners the same tired whining (Is that too strong a description?  I think not) in off-topic replies.

I very much wish that I could make Wichita, but I'm afraid that it is a little out of my range.  At the contests that I do make or have in the past, my experience is much like yours - those who do well are those who actually make the effort to build and fly the event (well, DUH!).  Those who want to improve find that practice and paying attention to those who do better will ALWAYS improve. As I recall, those who don't enter, but constantly complain never win, and very quickly lose any sympathetic ear.  Just MHO --

So to the original post - my own .15 is very similar to the Sniper - a shoulder-wing built from a foam 1/2A combat wing.  Think of something between 200 and 250 sq. in.  My Fox. .15 schneurle is somewhat a disappointment, but is available without going to Ebay.  I would steer clear of USED f2d combat engines as the ones that I have seen have been run hard and put up wet and if they still ran right, they wouldn't be available.  The new ones might do OK, but they are NOT cheap .  A better route to go might be converting an RC Car .15 to an airplane engine - I believe that at least one of those is currently flying.

As for what it takes to be competitive, that depends on who you compete against.  For a first venture into any class, it is more important to get SOMETHING flying that to wait around trying to gather up equipment.  By the time you get it accumulated, you may have waited too long.  If you can't quite make the speed limit, you are still going to beat everyone who didn't get a landing .. if you consistently get a high speed, a low speed and a landing score, you are going to do well no matter what the others do.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
Bob,

Glad your interested in 15 carrier. It's fun but I have to agree with Dale, it is not the easiest of events. The smaller planes tend to be more difficult to fly (but then that's the challenge). I have flown a Sniper and another plane designed by Eric Connely. They both fly well. I have always used a Cox Conquest for glow power but know of others that swear by the MVVS. Dale has had good results with his Irvine, whatever works!! The Sniper is easy to build and is sturdy, an important trait. I think most modern 15s will give good performance if the plane is not too heavy. My Sniper with the glow engine is 28 oz or so, kind of heavy but you can get them too light too and then they don't handle the wind at all.

No, you don't have to hit 70 mph to be competitive although you should be close. 70 mph is about 25.7 sec for 8 laps, I would say that you need to be close to 28 sec for 8 laps to be in the hunt. The points come with good low speed. Anything over 200 points is good. My scores seem to max out about 230 or so. I have a bit of a problem getting to 70 mph (even with my unlimited power electric!) and my low times always seem to be around 3 minutes. To step up my game I need to add at least 30 to 40 seconds of low speed time. That comes from getting the plane better balanced and PRACTICE. The smaller planes are jumpy and to keep them flying well at low speed you have to be very careful. Practice and knowing how your plane reacts is the key.

Dale, I'll take the bet!!!!!
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
If I recall right there were no electrics in 15 carrier at the nats and all of the other electrics have there own classes except the skyray 35.  Even though they are combined in skyray there is still a speed limit  so I really see no advantage to electric or disadvantage to gas.The skyray that my brother flew has a stock os 32 that with a knicked and beat up master airscrew 9-5 will do the speed limit. and not to mention that the plane is at least 10 years old with a warped wing. Guess what else IT DOESNT HANG and he got 3rd with it at the Nats, I came in second with it at Polk city and he won with it at SIG.

It is kind of sad to say that if you have a high, low and a good landing then you will probably be competitive.

And how about a little credit to the original builder here?    n1  (except I don't think it originally had a warped wing  LL~)

And you are correct -- that is kind of sad   :(

(BOB F. - you have a PM)
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I think I have enough data to digest.

So...Here are my thoughts:

For Carrier I prefer to fly a plane that, within the scope of the event rules, resembles a full size prototype. I like the scale connection.
I flew Carrier a lot from 1967 thru about 1980, some CLII but mostly Profile. I've been off flying C/L Speed and racing R/C hydroplane boats since, but have decided to return. Profile, both AMA and NCS Nostalgia, is still my first choice but the .15 thing looks like something of interest. I have a couple of designs under consideration but am going to get the AMA Plan Service guy to do a scaled version of the Chance Vought XF5U-1 that Frank Scott and I built in 1972. Will it beat up on the Sniper? Probably not. But...I'll have fun.

More later...

Bob

P.S. A point of interest on this particular aircraft. The original full sized design was intended to fly at both extremes of the speed range. It was supposed to be able to nearly hover. Unlike the models typically flown in Carrier, it would be acceptacle for a model of this plane to fly at the attitudes common with today's slow flight.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
Wouldn't it have been nice if the Navy had flight tested the XF-5U ! Then we would have really known it's performance.  ???  Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:40 PM »
Sidebar Discussion:

Yes, it would have been interesting. Unfortunately, as we know, development of new concepts can be protracted and costly. Your namesake, the A2D suffered from significant gearbox problems. Imagine the drive line for the XF5U-1? But...It would have been cool to see fly.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
Bob,

Here's a couple of thoughts from my experience with 15 that might be of interest.

Make the leadouts adjustable, not in the air but so you can try different placement on the ground. You want to be able to have as much rake as possible and still be able to fly high speed.This also means the the landing gear needs to be skewed a bit so the plane doesn't crab on take off. This is a trade off with where the CG is too, so being able to adjust the CG is important. I find that I fly the 15's with the CG back farther than I would normally expect it to be.

Put in lots of motor offset (I probably have 5 degrees or more). The little planes tend to drift in on you going cross wind. Off set doesn't affect high speed all the much and makes low speed much less spooky (the farther back the leadouts are also helps here).

Have plenty of elevator surface. I find in with both glow and electric that in low speed I am giving up elevator to keep the tail down. More surface area really helps (just be careful in high speed!!!).

My personal preference is to have a fairly long moment from the wing to the tail. Short coupled planes are way too sensitive and difficult to balance properly.

Post a picture of what you build. Everyone likes to see new equipment.

Good luck.

Bob
Bob Frogner

david smith

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
The Skyray I mentioned earlier was built by Mike Anderson. Sorry Mike, and thank you for the skyray. I wasnt sure on the age so I just guessed.
Bob, that XF5U-1 will be awesome to see fly. If you do build one would you please post some pictures? Thank you and good luck!

David

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
I'm just teasing  y1.   I was very happy to see you guys doing so well and look forward to seeing you again next summer.  After all, a Skyray is a Skyray is a Skyray
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
Again, thanks for the information.

The XF5U-1 lends itself to the trim Bob suggested. There is little fuselage side area and the wing won't know if is going straight or not.

David: The 300 sq.in. version flew quite well although not without a couple of quirks. I only had a Mc Coy .35 Red Head so it didn't match the speed of the ST C35 guys.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
Again, thanks for the information.

The XF5U-1 lends itself to the trim Bob suggested. There is little fuselage side area and the wing won't know if is going straight or not.

David: The 300 sq.in. version flew quite well although not without a couple of quirks. I only had a Mc Coy .35 Red Head so it didn't match the speed of the ST C35 guys.

Bob - that was the first 'Carrier' plane I ever saw - back in 1973 in Sioux City, Iowa.  I don't know what motor it had on it but it was the first time I was ever aware that the Carrier event even existed.  I would very much like to build one of the 300 sq. in versions for Nostalgia Profile - can you suggest a source for the plans?

Thanks in advance.

As a slight follow on to Bob F's trim suggestions, let me add this:  Add tail weight until the model gets squirrely on high speed, then remove the last bit you added.  Then add tip weight until the model is yawed out no matter how high the nose gets - you will be surprised at the amount of weight you end up with in both these extremities, but also how easy it is to set up and fly slow.  Also, as Bob suggested, use lots of engine offset (5 degrees sounds about right to me, too) and sweep the leadouts as far as you can without giving up too much high speed (up to the maximum allowed) -- that is the mis-calculation with the 'speed limit' events.  It doesn't limit the advantage of more horsepower - it makes it MORE important.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
OK, Bob. The friendly wager is on. I missed this year's Nats, now I will have to be there next year or "lose face"! It will be good to see all youse guys again. Meanwhile, I have to get ramped up for this weekend in Albuquerque.

As to that "Flying Pancake", Mike Shulze of Florida flew his at Dallas a few years back and it was pretty good. I've got video cam of it. Also, Charlie Reeves has a Half A version. You all know Charlie, he's that Stunt guy who ushered in the MO-1 for the Carrier event. :)

dg

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Everyone wants to know, can I be competitive? In 15 carrier the scores are generally very tight and no, you don't have to hit 70 MPH to do well. Below I charted the NCS Top Twenty for 2008. I also built a chart for scores starting at 60 mph high speed up to the max, 70 mph and from 2 minutes low to 4 minutes low speed. If  you look at the chart and compare the scores to the top twenty it shows that you don't have to fly 70mph or even do a 4 min low speed to get a good score.

Example: Say you have a 30sec  high speed (60 mph). This should be attainable without having an exotic engine. If you can fly a 2 min low speed your score is 200 points. That would be good enough for 13th on the list for all of last year.

If you could increase your low time to 3 minutes (180 seconds) that would give a score of 220 points or 5th on the top twenty. Very respectable.

If your plane is fast and can hit 26 seconds for high speed, just under the 70mph max then using the last two examples the scores jump to 215 and 238 respectively or 8th and 4th on the list. Not too shaby.

Obviously the top scores are very good and hard to attain. They were flown by experienced people with well setup planes in ideal conditions. The fact of the matter is that a top 10 score is very reachable by someone who is starting out if they get the plane setup well and put in some practice time.

NCS Top 20
   for 2008
1   262.09
2   260.8
3   251.2
4   224.9
5   218.7
6   217.89
7   216.13
8   213.5
9   211.9
10   211.76
11   208.22
12   201.13
13   199.35
14   197.75
15   196.71      
16   196.69      
17   194.5      
18   191.05      
19   190.02      
20   189.3      

High speed         Low Speed (Sec)            
                       120      140         160       180       200     220        240
25.7                 216.73   224.51   232.30   240.08   247.86   255.64   263.42
26                   215.38   223.08   230.77   238.46   246.15   253.85   261.54
27                   211.11   218.52   225.93   233.33   240.74   248.15   255.56
28                   207.14   214.29   221.43   228.57   235.71   242.86   250.00
29                   203.45   210.34   217.24   224.14   231.03   237.93   244.83
30                   200.00   206.67   213.33   220.00   226.67   233.33   240.00
                                     Scores assume 100 pt landing                  

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions please let me know.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Jerry Mudd

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »
OK Bob, good chart.  Now you're making me want to try a .15 myself.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Bob - that was the first 'Carrier' plane I ever saw - back in 1973 in Sioux City, Iowa.  I don't know what motor it had on it but it was the first time I was ever aware that the Carrier event even existed.  I would very much like to build one of the 300 sq. in versions for Nostalgia Profile - can you suggest a source for the plans?

Thanks in advance.

Mike,

Plans are available from AMA Plans Service. The model is listed as Vought XF5U by Frank Scott, AMA # 32545 / Pond # 93D3. The cost is $ 8.00 + postage. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/plans/pdfs/v-plans.pdf

Shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a copy of the magazine construction article.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »
Sorry that I've not answered before now -  Thank you very much for the offer.  I don't mind posting my mailing address:

Mike Anderson
402 2nd Ave.
Madrid, IA  50156

Now, I am a little confused - I was under the impression that the original Skimmer I saw was from a construction article in AAM - it was probably 24-30 inches in "Span" and 30-32 inches long.  The plans you reference are for a smaller model, but the picture you show above alludes to the Profile Carrier version.  You also make a statement about having the AMA service scale up the plans.  I guess my question would be, will this model be eligible for the 20 point 'historical model' bonus or is there another model from the same approximate era that is published in the 300 square inch, profile carrier version?  Or will the picture above suffice to prove the age of the model?  I will probably build it in any case, just to have, but it would be nice to know if I have an argument over eligibility headed my way (except at my own contest, of course).  Of course, the plain bearing engine bonus will require some digging in my box of engines, also.  

Thanks again for the reprint, at your convenience.

Oh, PS -- I have a sneaking suspicion that if you were to use the 20 inch version as a basis for a .15 carrier, it might just do pretty well --
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »
Mike,

The model was originally published in American Aircraft Modeler, June 1972. It does qualify for the Historical Bonus.

The Span is 19-3/4 in (across the main lifting surface). The Length is 23-5/8 in (spinner tip to rear of elevator). The area is 300 in. sq.+. It is a legal Profile Carrier model. I have a blueline taken from Frank's original tracing as well as a copy of AMA # 32545. I assure you that they are the same plan.

Now, someone published another model of this plane at a later date. As I recall it had a much thinner wing. To tell the truth I didn't give it much of a look. I'll do some research to see if I can identify the thing.

Dick Perry and I have been having running dialog on this plane for some time. He kind of has me thinking that a 300 sq. in. version built as lightly as possible may have merit as a .15... :!

I'll get the article off to you in the next day or so.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
OK, some people may not like the idea but I think the XF5U would be a perfect platform for electric power. You could have two smaller motors in each propeller pod and easily have them rotate opposite directions. Big props aren't a problem for the electrics either so the scale effect would be good too. There is also the plus that one engine/motor would not quit before the other since they could both be powered off the same battery. That could be a major problem with a glow setup.

Just a thought.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
Mike,

The model was originally published in American Aircraft Modeler, June 1972. It does qualify for the Historical Bonus.

The Span is 19-3/4 in (across the main lifting surface). The Length is 23-5/8 in (spinner tip to rear of elevator). The area is 300 in. sq.+. It is a legal Profile Carrier model. I have a blueline taken from Frank's original tracing as well as a copy of AMA # 32545. I assure you that they are the same plan.

Now, someone published another model of this plane at a later date. As I recall it had a much thinner wing. To tell the truth I didn't give it much of a look. I'll do some research to see if I can identify the thing.

Dick Perry and I have been having running dialog on this plane for some time. He kind of has me thinking that a 300 sq. in. version built as lightly as possible may have merit as a .15... :!

OK - so the main confusions is only due to my rather fuzzy memory.  The '20 inch' version IS the one I saw and therefore all the other makes sense now - and you meant that you would have it scaled DOWN to .15 size.  I would agree that you probably should scale it down to something in the 220 sq. in. range - as I recall it isn't going to be the fastest even if built to the bare 300" min. for profile.  Isn't  the wing rather thick pretty much over all?

Thanks for the historical info, as well as the memories --

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
Electric does open a number of possibilities.

There is a 35 sec clip of footage showing the XF5U-1 in taxi tests on YouTube.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Joe F Just

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
 I've got video cam of it. Also, Charlie Reeves has a Half A version. You all know Charlie, he's that Stunt guy who ushered in the MO-1 for the Carrier event. :)

dg
[/quote]

Sorry, Reeves was not the first to have the MO-1. that was Mr. Gerber.  I have a copy of all three of his endevors, Profile and Classes 1 & 2.  He recently passed away in Florida.
Joe

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
an in flight photo of the Vought Flapjack

Tom

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »
This is the V-173, which was not designated as a carrier plane but was a test aircraft to prove the concept so no scale points. The aircraft that was to be a carrier aircraft, the XF5U-1, never officially flew so it is not eligible for scale points. (Rumors that it lifted orr once during a taxi test, if they could be substantiated, would allow it to be qualified for scale points.) So here are two interesting subjects that might be fine for Nostalgia Profile, for example, where there are no scale points in any case.
Pete

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »
The AMA rule says" Aircraft is designated as a carrier aircraft by an acceptable source (in cases where actual carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing are not documented." This rule was written to get the MO-1 quilified for the event. The MO-1 did not have an arrestor hook and could not have made an arrested landing to quilify for scale points under the old rules. Sooooo change the rules! The XF-5U gets points under the current rule because it was "designated as a carrier aircraft"

Mike
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 08:31:18 AM »
According to pictures I have seen of the MO-1 landing there were hooks attached to the main landing gear.  As such there was not an arresting hook as we know it today unless it was added later.  I think Art Johnson has the most comprehensive documentation on Navy Carrier Aircraft.  Its supposed to be fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
All this talk about bonus points and eligibility is off the point vis-a-vis the original topic 15 Carrier

The only bonus available is the 10 points you get for using a Brodak design at The Brodak.
Paul Smith

Joe F Just

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »
STAND BY!

Thought this might be a good time and place to announce a new ARF for Carrier.  We will be producing on a limited basis two ARF carrier planes intended NOT TO BE COMPETITIVE, but to enable a club (our primary target) to get and have available a Carrier type of plane that can be used for instruction, creating interest in possible carrier competition, or just plane fun.  Two sizes will be available, a .15 and another designed around the popular LA or FP .25 or similar size engines.  The planes will have removable wing (foam cored)  the body on both sizes will comewith bellcrank installed under the body, tip weight and manually adjustable leadout guide installed.  As the original part of the "Ukey" series of ARF's the design will incorporate many of the methods and manufacturing methods of this series of planes. We will also make available with the planes the buyers choice of including a news simple type of adjustable 3-line handles we have developed over the past three years.  COST?  Somewheres around $60 with postage paid to US sites.  Planes will be available soon. Pictures soon.

Joe Just

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
Keep us posted, as it sounds exciting.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »
Mike,

Bob - You have a PM -- (maybe more than one)
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
Bob -

Received the packet from you and the plans from AMA - Thanks much.

I'm actually about 1/2 finished building it already - a very simple to build model with easy to fabricate parts.  One caution - the "C" rib is mis-drawn on the plans.  If you are building from the AMA/Pond plans, measure the portion forward of the main spar on both the top view and the profile view of the ribs.  The top view dimension is correct.  I had to make a new 'nose' for the C ribs and install it after the ribs were glued to the spar.  Simple but it took me a while to figure out where the error was.

Mine will be powered with an old plain-bearing Max-III .35 that runs pretty good but dates back to before the original Skimmer was published.

Thanks again -
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
I would not attach the landing gear to the spar as per the plans. The first landing I did with mine tore the gear completely out of the wing. I found the best way was to screw some aluminium stunt plane gear to the fuselage center, that took care of the weakness and no further gear problems happened.The airplane was neither fast(Fox 36) nor slow but was fun to watch.Another thing, the booms broke off very often and I think removable ones for flight might be a good idea.   Mike

mike potter

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
BUMMER -- I've already sewn the gear to the spar   :o   

Well, we will just have to see how it holds up.

As  I mentioned, I first saw this model fly in 1973 and I don't remember any issues with the gear, but I only saw it a few times.  I'll keep others informed.

Thanks for the heads up.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:14 AM »
My original model had the gear attached to the spar with standard nylon lg clips. There was never an issue with the gear.

As for the prop booms, there were some issues. Mainly it had to do with harmonic vibration. I think some of that pre-preg sheet stuff Sig had did the trick as a reinforcement. I forget the name but you soaked it in dope thinner and molded it in place.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »
Celastic? 

Sig might have spelled it differently...........

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »
Bob -

Received the packet from you and the plans from AMA - Thanks much.

I'm actually about 1/2 finished building it already - a very simple to build model with easy to fabricate parts.  One caution - the "C" rib is mis-drawn on the plans.  If you are building from the AMA/Pond plans, measure the portion forward of the main spar on both the top view and the profile view of the ribs.  The top view dimension is correct.  I had to make a new 'nose' for the C ribs and install it after the ribs were glued to the spar.  Simple but it took me a while to figure out where the error was.

Mine will be powered with an old plain-bearing Max-III .35 that runs pretty good but dates back to before the original Skimmer was published.

Thanks again -

MIke,

It looks like Frank drew the "C" Rib error on the original tracing. We built the original from that drawing. Haven't a clue now how we fixed the problem.

Back to the LG. By the time the spar / doublers, LE, and LE Planking are all done that corner is pretty well boxed in. If the LG is solidly attached to the spar there shouldn't be a problem.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »
Celastic? 

Sig might have spelled it differently...........

Jim

BINGO
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
Another problem I had with the XF5U was hook location. The plans don't mention a hook and one isn't visible in the photos. If you put it in the normal position it blocks down elevator movement. I ended up pivoting mine forward so it would be out of the way.
                                                                                                                                                                 Mike
mike potter

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
I take it back! I looked at the plans and it does show a hook. Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
Frank's original had a short forward stowed hook. I went with a longer one and just let it hang free so it wouldn't foul the elevator. Didn't seem to cause any concern.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
Had a little challenge between Melvin Schuette and myself at the recent Dallas contest. He figured he could beat me with his good low-speed .15 plane's ability, even though his ship couldn't hit the 70mph High-speed. I had forgotten that I now have a Conquest .15 (reverse crank) in place of the Irvine.(Kevin Seaton has repaired my Irvine, it's going back in when I get time). Anyway, I'm comfortable with my planes' ability to hit the high-speed, the question is....what can I do with the low?

Answer....not much.

Long story short, Melvin beat me like a drum! I got the high-speed, no problem, but just couldn't get the low speed that Melvin did. So, it looks like the low can get you in the winner's circle, as long as you're flying against me! 

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
Frank's original had a short forward stowed hook. I went with a longer one and just let it hang free so it wouldn't foul the elevator. Didn't seem to cause any concern.

Bob

I am going with a longer, free hanging hook and I have in mind a method to fold it forward and use a rubber band or some kind of latch to hold it up.  At a contest or off a deck, I will let it hang down - at the practice circle or off grass, I will latch it up.  I would have just made it removeable but that would require more engineering than this.  There sure is LOTS of room in this model for this sort of thing.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here