News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Navy Carrier Plus Scale XIV Phoenix AZ  (Read 588 times)

Offline eric david conley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Navy Carrier Plus Scale XIV Phoenix AZ
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
     This years turn out was down a little from last year. To bad for the guy's that didn't show up as the weather was perfect for Carrier, 3 to 5mph wind, mid 80s temperatures, a couple shade trees, the nicest low grass that I've seen in a while, and fun for all that showed up. The first picture gives you an idea of how nice the weather and facilities were. The two guys (Ted Kraver and Bob Frogner) standing out front are in the line measuring and pull test area, last stop before the deck.
     The next picture is Pet Mazur's carrier planes, front is e-profile Brodak Guardian, Sig e-Skyray 35 (first place), CL-2 e-Corsair (first place), CL-1 Bearcat (new and untested).
     3rd and 4th pictures, Ted Gritzmacher has returned to carrier and flew quite well with his planes (nostalgia CL-1 Wildcat, profile sportsman, and profile nostalgia. He will be scoring much higher once he gets his landings perfected. Also in 4th picture (top of Frame) is Bob Frogner's e-15 Sniper. Bob's articles posted here and in the "Hi-Low Landings" news letter are what got me started in e-carrier.
     5th picture is a photo of the score sheet that didn't turn out very good but here it is anyway.

Eric

• Captain
Re: Navy Carrier Plus Scale XIV Phoenix AZ
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
     In the top picture is Ted Kraver's CL-1 Guardian and CL-2 Helldiver. The Guardian has a 2-wire control handle and the 3rd wire is held by the other hand and controls a flap on top of the carburetor. Instead of a handful to fly this plane is two handfuls to fly. The Helldiver powered by a OS .60 is a good looking plane that according to Ted flys as good as it looks. The F7F in the background is one of Ted's scale planes.
     The next picture is Jim Hoffman and his .15 Sniper powered by a Norvel .15 engine. Jim has been flying this combination in .15 for at least the last 4 or 5 years and each year his scores get higher and higher. Note the custom NAVY colors.
     The 3rd and 4th pictures are of Burt Brokaw's nostalgia profile J. Roberts Skyraider a vetran of the carrier deck. At this contest as he landed on the deck "ONE" of the control lines caught in the eye that the arresting wire sits in, the plane went to full power and circled (9' radius) the arresting area for 180 degrees then hit the side of the deck just forward of the ramp. Bet he cant duplicate the maneuver again anytime soon. Broke one control line but otherwise the plane was undamaged.
Eric

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
     The first 2-pictures are of the 3-planes that I took to the contest. My trouble free Corsair seems to have caught the same bug that my CL-1&2 have had this year so I didn't get a flight in with it. The e-109T only flys so, so, but did its best for the year at this contest. Its around 15mph slower than my ic-profiles and only a little off in slow speed do to weight. The other plane is my e-15 plane which is doing everything I thought it would do and then soom.
     The 3rd picture is Pete's latest e-CL-1 plane. It is a ARF F8F and I don't know who makes the plane but it is beautifully put together. Looks plenty strong (heavy) and not enough wing area to be competitive but as Pete says it makes a great test bed while he is looking for just the right combination for e-competition. A very pretty plane.
Eric

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »
The eClass 1 Bearcat is from BP Hobbies, http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1400125&pid=E2444850  and was easier to modify than the Great Plains Combat Corsair, the origin of my eClass 2. It weighs about 2.5 pounds and the manufacturer says it has 232 square inches of wing area. It looks nice but, because I am setting this one up for insulated lines but have not yet succeeded in making insulated lines, there have been no test flights. If it is at least somewhat successful, I'll report in detail in High Low Landings and maybe here. If it is not successful, I'll be much quieter.

Pete

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
Eric,

Nice pictures! I'm glad someone had the smarts to take some photos. It was such a nice couple of days for carrier flying. Not a huge turn out but some very good competitors (and one that couldn't manage to land his plane! ME). When you look at who flew its was some of the best there is. Eric, Bert, Pete, the cream of the crop.

Your e15 looks and flies so well. You really have the right idea, build a great looking and flying airplane and practice, practice, practice. We could all learn from that!!!!

Pete,
Too bad we couldn't get the lines coated sufficiently to try out the Bearcat. That would have been very interesting. Don't be too quiet about it when it does fly, others would like to hear and learn from your experiments!!!!
Bob Frogner

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
Great pics Eric.  I hope someday to make it out thee to that contest.  Pete, I have the bearcat also but haven't had time to start on it yet another winter project.  At the rate the projects are piling up I don't think the winter is going to be long enough.  I really like Teds helldiver and it looks great in the air.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here