News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: low speed chart  (Read 1029 times)

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
low speed chart
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
Does anyone have a time to MPH chart that goes down to maybe 10min( I know I being very optimistic)? The one in the AMA rule book just doesn't go down to the speeds that many of us are doing. A chart would sure help in scoring.    Mike

mike potter

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: low speed chart
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
It's a straight line relation ship.  MPH for 10 min is 1/2 the mph for 5 min.  Just look up a speed in the chart for a time that's twice what you have timed, then divide that speed in half.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Does anyone have a time to MPH chart that goes down to maybe 10min( I know I being very optimistic)? The one in the AMA rule book just doesn't go down to the speeds that many of us are doing. A chart would sure help in scoring.    Mike

Here is one in MS WORD .doc format - it is  6 pages.  Page 1 & 2 are meant to be read side by side, 3 & 4 are side by side, and 5 & 6 go together.  One and two are high speeds from 10 sec. to 40 sec. in .1 sec. intervals.

Pages 3 thru 6 are low speeds, from 40 sec. to 599.9 sec. in .5 sec intervals.

I also have the spreadsheets that generated this, but I don't know if I'll be able to attach it or upload it somewhere here.  If you don't see it in the next message or two, let me know that you want it, and I'll e-mail it to you.

Mike A.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Extended Speed Chart - Excell Spreadsheet form ...  maybe  ;D

(OK - I had to rename it to a .doc file, so as the title says -
So you'll have to "right click - Save As" save to your hard-drive,
rename it to Extended Speed Chart.xls, and it will open in Excel)
Feel free to modify it however you wish, and print it out in whatever
form works best for you.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »
Thanks Mike, that was exactly what I was looking for. The first MS Word doc printed perfect the other one came out as computer language. I have been doing like Don suggested for a long thim but the more math I can eliminate the better off I seem to do, so charts work good for me. Thanks again Mike.
mike potter

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:43:52 AM »
Yes - the first one (extended speed chart.doc) is just a document - a bunch of numbers printed on sheets.

The second one is actually an Excel Spreadsheet - if you rename it to something (anything) "Extended Speed Chart.xls" it will open in Microsoft Excel - this would allow you to re=calculate and print out changes - for instance, maybe you want to split to nearest 1/100th of a second from 20 sec., to 30 sec. - and print out a chart with finer detail in that range - you can do that in Excel.  But you have to rename it .xls, because it is not really a .doc - the board would not let me upload a file with an .xls extension, so I changed the extension.

Mike
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:34:11 AM »
I've never bothered with charts.

Just divide the half-mile time into 1800 (or full mile into 3600). 

Thus far it's worked for all the speeds I've done.

No need for charts, slide rules, or computers, but the juice of safu helps to speed the mind.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:52:43 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »
That requires ciphering with long division!  **)  But so do other ways unless you have a chart.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:46:18 PM »
That requires ciphering with long division!  **)  But so do other ways unless you have a chart.

Also, it's not exactly correct, because 7 laps is not exactly 1/2 mile.  If you multiply the speed/time values in the AMA rulebook speed chart, you get 1799.28, rather than 1800 (60 * PI * 2 * 7 = 2638.94, 1/2 mile = 2640).  Yes, most of the time close enough is close enough, especially at the practice circle, but if I'm going to print up a chart, or set up a spreadsheet to generate one, I might as well use the correct math.

Personally, I don't even bother to think in terms of speed when not flying a contest -- I think in terms of seconds - eg - 22.0 sec/7 high, 31.0 sec. laps low.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here