News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Line length  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Line length
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:56:23 PM »
Hi Guys what is the line length for 15 carrier???? I need to make some lines up, this will be my first try at carrier. Thanks in advance DenW
Dennis Warchol

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Line length
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:15 AM »
Line length is 52ft to 52ft6inches measured from the middle of the plane to the middle of the handle. Pull test is 25 pounds. This is a great event and not as easy to fly as you would think. The planes are light and without the slider that the AMA profile,CL1 and 2 have they can be a challenge, more so if the wind is kicking up. The beauty is there small easy to build and keep up and when you find yourself flying one well you can fly any carrier plane. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:27:43 AM »
Denw,

I agree with Eric. They are tougher to fly but really good practice. Balance is very important, you have to hit the point were they will fly at high speed but want to drop into a hang at low speed. Also the line tension is usually less so the feel is quite different than a profile. If you can get through the beginning and learn to fly the 15 well when you move to profile things get easier.

Don't forget to offset the wheels some so the plane doesn't crab on take off. With fixed lead out postion there is a tendancy to have the lines as far back as you can for low speed and at take off that puts the plane at an odd angle. Just skew the wheels slightly so the plane rolls somewhat  straight. It looks wierd but it works.

Be patient, the little planes take some time to get working right.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have flown the plane on 57 ft lines so I was wondering why there was this big bow in the lines while I was flying have to shorten them by a couple of feet. Do I set it up Nose heavy or tail heavy??? I could not get it to hang but I guess comes with more practice. Thanks Again DenW
Dennis Warchol

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
You need the CG as far aft as you can get it and still be able to fly the high speed portion of the event. I trust you have some out thrust on the engine(at least 7 to 12 degrees) and the lines raked aft at say 5 to 7 degrees. This is part of the balancing act you start when trying get the plane to hang well. It seems that all of the things you do get it to hang take away from your high speed stability so just keep playing with it. You could always make it a little tail heavy and skip the high speed stuff and just play with the hang until you get the feel of it and then start moving the CG forward to just get back the high speed stability. Its fun playing with it and once you do it you will find it a blast. eric

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »
Buy the way Eric didn't mention that those lines are .012 in dia. You mentioned a lot of line bow could you have been using .015 dia.?     Mike
mike potter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here