News:

• May 16, 2024, 07:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: leadouts and engine size  (Read 525 times)

Offline George Waters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
leadouts and engine size
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
I know that the leadouts should all be equal, but do you set them with the bellcrank in high or low speed? Can an old max h40 pylon motor be used or should i use an fp 35? These are my choices since I don't want to buy a special motor just to try carrier. The plane i am going to use is a Sterling Guardian. Thankyou George Waters

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: leadouts and engine size
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
George,

Are you using a Brodak bellcrank? If you are not going to use a slider on the controls it shouldn't matter if you are at high or low speed. The bellcrank moves to keep line tension the same.

As far as the motor goes, if you plan to enter an AMA type contest then you would want the 35 since max size for profile (I assume you are talking profile here) is a 36. If it is a built up fuselage then the 40 would be fine. Either way you want the engine that has the best throttle control. Smooth response from low to high is important in carrier.

Hope that helps. Glad to hear you are thinking of trying a carrier plan, it's fun.
Bob Frogner

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
The Sterling Guardian is a full fuselage (we used to be able to say FAT before the PC Police showed up) scale plane so the 40 is the best bet.  I used an OS 40P years ago and it was very reliable. With this combo you can also enter Nostalgia Carrier and get full engine and plane bonus points.  Keep in mind the kit was designed around a McCoy 60 so keep the rear light and beef up the front end.  Adding a large cross-grain block on top of the motor mounts (which runs from side-to-side where your hand will be placed for the pull test) will prevent the fuse side from cracking. One of the locals built one with a K&B 40 and it flew great. As far as setting up the controls, "high" can be forward or back on the handle but, once you decide which suits you, make all your planes the same. Have fun!

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
George,

If I understand your post correctly, there is a misunderstanding about the leadouts for the 3-line control. The leadouts are NOT equal length. There is an offset between the elevator control leadouts and the power leadout.

I realize that there are individual preferences on this topic but the accepted default is to set the controls with the handle trigger pulled back for high speed. This means that the elevator bellcrank is pulled all the way to the inboard position.

IF you have an original J. Roberts system this means that the power leadout will need to be 2-1/8" longer than the elevator leadouts.

IF you have a Brodak system this means that the power leadout will need to be 2-1/2" longer than the elevator leadouts.

This dimension can be verified by setting the control handle in high speed (trigger pulled back) and measuring the difference between the power cable and the elevator cables.

As has been pointed out several times before, do not mix J. Roberts control units with a Brodak handle or vice-versa.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
The center leadout is 2 1/2 " longer with the elevator leadouts pulled out snug. All 3 flying lines are exact equal length. As stated for Brodak control systems only.
mike potter

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I have a roberts control system and handle. Since the motors have the same mounting holes I may try them both and see which one works best. I did find a copy of the instruction sheet for the j roberts unit and it does say 2 1/8 in longer on the throttle lead. The plane was built when I got it from a fleamarket for 6.00 It should prove to be a fun experience. George

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here