News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last Profile Carrier Published  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Last Profile Carrier Published
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »
Anyone know when the last profile carrier plane plans were published?  I think it may have been the Curtis Biplane fighter that Bill Darkow(?) published in Model Aviation around 1999? If so, that's a long time between designs. 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
Re: Last Profile Carrier Published
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »
these were the carrier plane plans published

F7C-3 Seahawk   1992 MA Dec p92   37.00   370.00   .36   Carrier   profile 727   Darkow, Bill & Hall, John
SO3C Seagull   1993 FM May p46   30.00   198.50   .15   Carrier   profile CF907   Dinerman, Steve
A-7E Corsair mk.II   1994 MA Aug p43   34.00   206.00   .15   Carrier   767   Baardsen, Steve
AF Guardian   2000 MA Sep p54   38.50   373.00   .36   Carrier   profile 896   Melton, Bill
AD-1 Skyraider   1970 AAM Jun p27   34.00   224.50   .36   Carrier profile   602   Hulick, Carlin

Tom Wilk

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:39:28 PM »
There's a profile carrier plane on THE COVER of the current Flying Models.
Paul Smith

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the list Tom. I remember all except the Skyraider from AAM, but that was awhile ago.  I'll have to check out the latest Flying Models, (and renew my subscription as well)  ::)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »
The F7C-3 Curtis Seahawk was built and designed by Bill Darkow and John Hall and is an AMA Profile class model. It flys very well for a large plane and of course looks very cool in flight as due all biplanes. Another nice bi-plane is the Boeing F4B4. Flying Models still sells the plans but it must be converted to use the three line bellcrank for throttle. The airplane was designed for stunt! Mike
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:41:52 AM »
In my opinion, it wasn't the sliders that caused the slump in carrier.  Those that have been around long enough remember that you flew either Profile Carrier or you flew Scale Carrier(Class I & II).   You did not fly both and we usually had as many as 6 entries for a local meet in profile.  I can still remember the first year Profile was an official event at the NATS.  Over 200 entries that year.  After that I started flying F2C(pitting actually).  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
In my opinion, it wasn't the sliders that caused the slump in carrier.  Those that have been around long enough remember that you flew either Profile Carrier or you flew Scale Carrier(Class I & II).   You did not fly both and we usually had as many as 6 entries for a local meet in profile.  I can still remember the first year Profile was an official event at the NATS.  Over 200 entries that year.  After that I started flying F2C(pitting actually).  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

Hi Doc,

What has caused the decline??  I remember it being a very popular event.......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »
Mind if I weigh in on this?

Basically, the event has run so far up the development curve that each incremental improvement in scoring potential takes a committment of resources that fewer and fewer people are willing to invest. Both the low and high end are nearly maxed out. In short, what's the point? One other thing. A typical flight is sheer boredom to watch. Carrier has pretty much reached the end of its life cycle.

It also doesn't help that the tool of choice is a lackluster between-the-wars observation plane instead of a dashing WWII fighter. Also, the Navy flies jets now. Where are they?

I flew Class II and Profile a lot in the late 60's up through the mid 70's. It was fun and challenging. My favorite model was a Profile Vought XF5U-1 Skimmer.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:07:46 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
I have to add my thoughts. I am a relatively new carrier flier. I find the event to be challenging and fun. Sure it takes a lot of work but this is a hobby and that is part of the fun. In my location we have had a renewall of carrier flying over the past year or so. At our field of about 15 to 20 regular control line fliers there are at least 7 or 8 that have carrier models. We have a lots of fun with them. Some are not even new models but oldies that have been updated. There is one flier that uses a Thunder Tiger 36 and gets some very good results ( in excess of 340 points). He proves you don't have to have a Nelson or some other exotic motor to do well. Its being able to trim and fly the plane well that makes it work. Just like any other event.

As far as models, Eric Conely has built a ME 109, and a Corsair that he flies extremely well. I have a Dehaviland Vampire that can compete with the MO-1s. I also have plans for a Crusader that should work well too. You do not have to stick with MO-1s to be competitive.

I have recently built and flown an electric carrier plane that works very well. There are others in the midwest also working on E Skyray carrier. For many reasons electrics are the future of many forms of aircraft modeling and also a new an interesting experiment. We have only scratched the surface of this form of carrier flying.

As far as being maxed out, I don't think so. New records can be set and there are people working toward that. Look at speed records, they don't just keep changing every year either.

What's the point? I could say the same about stunt or combat or speed or racing too. Its all in the opinion of the observer. If you don't find it a challenge and interesting then do something else. Don't just bash those of us who do enjoy it.

Yes, there are fewer entries than in years past but look at some of the other control line "specialties" the same can be said for them. CL is not as attractive as RC for many of the new modelers. There are no ARFs or foamies for carrier, you have to build your own plane. Then you have to understand it well enough to make it work. What a concept, you have to be a modeler! There are fewer places left where you can fly CL so that reduces the chances of someone even seeing CL happening.

All in all some of us still enjoy carrier and do our best to keep it alive.
Bob Frogner

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 12:41:56 AM »
Hi Bob,

Are the Crusader plans available?  I really like the F-8 "Last of the Gun Fighters"! 

I have a Magnum 36 Xl of the earlier vintage that is still basically new, and has pretty decent power.  We tried it on a profile stunter for a while, but it was a touch hard to "tame" and I didn't feel like cutting the ports.  I started making a set of 3 lines today, I have a built Dumas kit that I need to recover the wings, do a little repair work on and it will be ready to give me a plane to "learn with".  I am guess it isn't "legal" anymore for conest work, but that's ok.  I can build a new plane pretty quick.

Are the "Classic Carrier (Vintage??)" events flown at the NATS?

Thanks,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:20:51 AM »
Bill,

The Crusader plans are my own design. I have not completed building it yet (other projects seemed to get in the way). They are pretty rough plans since I usually design as I build to a certain degree. I might be able to copy them if you are really interested. Can't guarantee anything about performance though.

I don't know why the Dumas kit wouldn't be legal for profile. I know of at least one other guy that has one and has flown it in contests. Since in profile you don't have to adhere to the 5% rule the plane must resemble the original outlines of the full sized plane. There is quite a bit of leeway in the proportions. The scale bonus is only 10 points in profile.

One thing that the guy here did was to lengthen the fuselage. As built the Dumas kit is pretty short coupled and that makes it more difficult to hang. If you can I would strongly suggest adding about 2 inches to the fuse behind the wing. It should make the plane more managable at low speed.

There are nostalgia events at the Nats. They are usually flown on the Saturday at the end of the CL week. Theyare not "official" events but there are trophys and prizes. Usually there is pretty good turn out for the nostalgia events.

Take a look here:     http://www.navycarriersociety.org/Rules.aspx

for nostalgia rules.

Good luck with the Dumas model.
Bob

Bob Frogner

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »
Re: Toms list - I'm familier with all those planes except the Skyraider listed.  Couldn't find it in the Model Aviation plans base where most of the AAM plans reside.  Anyone know?  I guess we could add the "Kingfisher" (both versions), Spearfish, and a Hellcat that was published in MA to that list although I'm not sure of dates etc.   HB~>

Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here