News:

• May 13, 2024, 02:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kingfisher Prototype  (Read 4835 times)

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
Kingfisher Prototype
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Okay guys here we go...
The Kingfisher prototype has been started by Darrel Rupnow.

He has sent me a couple of pictures on the build.

a few more can be seen on my website
http://www.builtrightflyright.com
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Kingfisher Prototype
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
I like it. So far so good. Looking forward to it.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
some more pics

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Joe Just

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »
I have known Darrel for many years and know he will do an ecvellent job building the prototype.  Also glad to see another Eastern Washington guy get the job!  Way to go Darrel!
Joe

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »
How's the Kingfisher coming along?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
The Kingfisher went on hold for nine days.  My wife and I got custody of our grandchildren while their parents went on a cruise.  We just dropped them off with their parents tonight.  I am not a fast builder, but plan on having it ready for a contest April 22.  So this all means full steam ahead starting tomorrow.

Thanks
Darrel

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
The Kingfisher went on hold for nine days.  My wife and I got custody of our grandchildren while their parents went on a cruise.  We just dropped them off with their parents tonight.  I am not a fast builder, but plan on having it ready for a contest April 22.  So this all means full steam ahead starting tomorrow.

Thanks
Darrel

Hi Darrel, so the really good news is that you and your wife survived the Grand-kids..  ;)
Don't you think you guys need a few days to recover  n~
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Since I am back on the job, I thought I would post some photos of the Kingfishers progress.  The pictures of the slider is my own that I am incorporating and with Walters permission of course.  This is my third try to post pictures on this forum.  On job learning.

Darrel

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
Finally got some pictures to post. (whew)  Anyway, with that, here are a few more.

Thanks
Darrel

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
Starting to look like something.  The one thing I noticed is it is very light for a carrier plane.  Maybe I really will get her done in time for the contest at Delta Park Portland in April.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »
Looking good. Whats the detail on the LE sanding jig.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
Hey Wayne,  The leading edge plywood snading profiles were supplied by Walter in the kit.  I don't want to speak for Walter, but I believe those will be included in the kit.  As the kit came to me, I supplied the sticks and poster board or 1/64"th Plywood to line the sander between profiles.  After assembly, just insert some stickyback sand paper.  Be sure to put masking or painters tape on the wing sheeting for protection of the sheeting.  Pretty slick addition to the kit I think.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
Looks good, thanks for the info.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Looks good, thanks for the info.
Wayne

Wayne, for more on the LE sanding jig and flap aligment jig
you can see the same types that are included in my Stuka kit.

http://www.builtrightflyright.com/New_Web_Pgs/kits/Stuka/stkabld00.htm

keep in mind these are not universal
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
Now comes the tedius part.  The basic wood construction is almost complete.  Just shows wing tip and flap installation.  The neet part is the plywood flap alignment tool supplied byWalter. Unless something comes up, pictures won't be posted till the plane is painted.

Thanks
Darrel

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
Wooops, sent one picture twice.  Should have sent this one.

Darrel

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 12:17:07 AM »
Unless something comes up, pictures won't be posted till the plane is painted.

Thanks
Darrel

Oh sure tease us why don't you...   ;) ;)
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »
Thought I would post a picture of progress made on Walters Kingfisher.  Planned on a different paint scheme with blue bands on the fuselage and a red tail.  After Painting the silver, I  opened the can of KlassKote red paint and rather than red, it was brown.  Not red brown, but brown.  I remember when I ordered the paint, it was said they would have to hand mix the colors I ordered.  I have been really struggling using Klasskote this time.  User trying to rush things along never works.  I have used it before and it works great.  Anyway, I still might make it to the first carrier contest of the year in the north west.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
    A very nice looking carrier plane Darrel. I hope you bring it to the NWR so I can see it.  Eric
Eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
Thought I would post a picture of progress made on Walters Kingfisher.  Planned on a different paint scheme with blue bands on the fuselage and a red tail.  After Painting the silver, I  opened the can of KlassKote red paint and rather than red, it was brown.  Not red brown, but brown.  I remember when I ordered the paint, it was said they would have to hand mix the colors I ordered.  I have been really struggling using Klasskote this time.  User trying to rush things along never works.  I have used it before and it works great.  Anyway, I still might make it to the first carrier contest of the year in the north west.

Darrel, can you give some insight on your KlassKote painting process and what are you going to use on the wings.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
<snip> ...I  opened the can of KlassKote red paint and rather than red, it was brown.  Not red brown, but brown.  I remember when I ordered the paint, it was said they would have to hand mix the colors I ordered. 

Did you try stirring it? Might be they just pre-mixed it and never shook it?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »
Hi Darrel,

Looking good!  What power plant are you using?  I seem to have missed that somewhere. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
Up at the top there's a picture of a Thunder Tiger 36 with no carb. Must be a top secret new development!

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
questionable answers
Eric, I plan on trying to make it to all the carrier events this year including the NW Regionals providing life doesn't get in the way.

Doug, I stirred the paint, but you got me to thinking about it though.

Bill & Bill, I have a new Thunder tiger 36 Pro with an OS 4D carb, we'll see how that works out.  I think it will be good combo.

Wayne, KlassKote is an epoxy finish.  A little expensive (what finish isn't these days), but has tremendous color coverage, so it really goes a long way.  They make a epoxy primer surfacer, but I haven't tried it yet.  I have just been using clear dope and sanding between coats for my base and then spraying on the Klasskote color.  For durability, spray on a coat of clear after you have your colors on.  You can recoat it or spray on another color without scuffing up the surface if you recoat with in 8 hours.  Depending on how you mix it and the temperature, KlassKote is suppose to be print free in 4 hours.  Mix equal parts paint and hardener and let it set for 45 minutes before use or adding reducer.  After 45 minutes, you can reduce it up to an equal part of  KlassKote reducer.  In the end, 1/3 paint, 1/3 hardener and not more than 1/3 reducer.  Great stuff, but take your time.  Ask me how I know.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 04:51:08 AM »
Darrel, have you tried doing dope colors then KlassKote Clear?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »
Wayne, yes I have used it over a dope finish.  It went on nice, but I don't know how durable or how it will hold up because I haven't flown the model yet.  Did a couple of motor runs and it survived.  It seems to go over dope during application just fine with what I have used.  I don't have a lot of experience with KlassKote, but am familiar with paints in general.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
Darrel, relative to KlasKote Clear over dope. Do yo remember how log you let the dope "gas off" before shooting KlassKote clear?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
Hi Wayne,  I really don't know a time, but if you can wet sand (color sand) the dope and clean it good and maybe wait a day or two, I think you would be safe.  I have not tested or have any guide lines to give you on this.  I hate to say this, but what I have done seems to have worked out, but there are no guarantees.  I think color sanding would be a good idea because it helps let gas out and providesbetter adhesion.  I haven't used this product that much to really give advise, but I like it and you will like the coverage it gives you.  Spray first coat light and after it tacks up, you can flow it on provided it isn't to cold.  Actually handles pretty easy in my opinion.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Darrel, I suspect with an HVLP gun at about 25 PSI?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
Wayne, Actually, I used a syphon thumb gun.  I don't remember the PSI, but it was somewhere around 25-35 PSI depending on how thinned it was with reducer, fluid adjustment, fan adjustment and how far you hold the gun from the surface you are painting.  I hope I'm not offending you in someway by the way I am telling you this because I don't know how much you know about painting.  You might be a Rembrant (spelling?).  Because I was a painter many years ago for about 25 years, I do painting by feel so to speak.  I got my thumb gun from Harbor Freight for something like $30-$40.  If you have a high volume low air pressure spray gun, you more than likely know more about them than I do.  When I quit painting years ago, the HVLV spray equipment was just coming on the market.

I hope that I have helped you in someway, but my knowledge of KlassKote is limited.

Darrel

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
Other that the color issue, what problems did you have with Klasskote on this airplane?

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
Hardly a Rembrandt, just trying to get a more fuelproof finish. What are you going to cover the wings with.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
Bill, The only other issues I had with Klasskote was the user errors.  Just don't try to speed things up or short cuts, it never seems to pay in the end.

Wayne,  I just going with plastic flim and trim .  Nothing fancy being carrier planes under my lack of skill will take a pretty good beating.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Darrel, so whats the latest?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
The latest,  Was to close to get ready for Delta Park contest.  Next is the Northwest Regionals.  As far as the Kingfisher,  I am just waiting for the roundals from sig, When the get here, I'll add them and the number on the wing and the plane is basicly done.  I plan on setting up new lines for the plane and doing a couple engine runs.  I finally got the belcrank and linkages to work smoothly.  Anyway, here is a picture of its present state.

Darrel

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
5th try posting picture.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
Darrel, nice job and it looks great. I am patiently waiting.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
Wayne, The kingfisher flying ability will far exceed mine.  Up untill the contest at Delta Park, I hadn't flown in over six years. (getting back in)  I really enjoy building carrier planes and hope to be able to practice and fly better.  I do have high expectations for Walters Kingfisher.  The coolest part is, we carrier guys will have some kits available.

Darrel

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
Hey Darrel, it looks great.   Still waiting for flight reports. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Thought I would post some pictures of the completed Kingfisher BEFORE the first flight.  I learned a lot of stuff along the way and I appreciate walter patience.
Darrel

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
Nice Job!, it ought to fly great. Only thing I see is if you haven't you may want to wrap then solder a 1/16 wire brace to connect the two gear legs, maybe 1" or so below the fuselage. It will keep the gear from spreading excessively should you land hard...not that that ever happens.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:14:27 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
 Looks GREAT! Gotta love those pre-war schemes! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Looking forward to ordering one of these kits.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »

I can say now that this plane is a keeper.

Put up a test flight on the Kingfisher yesterday (Saturday) at the NW regionals.  The engine didn't idle well and was on the lean side, so I just made it a test flight with no score.  The Kingfisher with the modified Thunder Tigre engine was very fast (don't ask how fast, because I don't know).  The fast flight was very stable with complete control and very easy to fly.  I know that can change when I start moving the CG back to get the plane to hang.  Even though I didn't do the prop hang, the plane handled bumps and wind gust easily.  This was the one of the easiest to fly carrier planes that I have flown.

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Good to hear.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
Great to hear the plane is working for you.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
      OK gang hear is the latest on Darrel's Kingfisher Prototype from the North West Regional. The first picture was our introduction to the new plane. Believe me when I say it is a beautiful plane, I'm sure the prettiest carrier plane that I have seen lately. But hey we all new it was pretty so it was on to the first flight. The second picture is Darrel and his pit man getting the Kingfisher ready to fly. The third picture is the plane ready to be lifted onto the deck for take off when Darrel gets to the end of the lines, followed by Darrel (a pretty happy flier) out in the circle flying the plane.
     It really looked nice in the air and was very stable considering we had some pretty choppy wind at the time of his flight. Unknown to Derral we had a clock on him but he only flew 5 laps at full speed (maybe we should have told him) so no time but it was very impressive (the speed) between a stable plane and a screaming Thunder Tiger Pro 36. The last picture was taken after the flight as proof of success. As far as I'm concerned this plane should make a good carrier plane, even with no changes to the air frame and perhaps with just a few minor changes an excellent carrier plane.  Eric
Eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures of another happy carrier flyer.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for the kind words, pictures and analysis.  I enjoyed the carrier flying and our conversation at the Regionals.  Looking forward to more of both.

Thanks
Darrel

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here