News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many Zeros does a person need?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How many Zeros does a person need?
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
How many Zeros does a person need? One More! Here's the first look at the next one in line. It's essentially the same as the last one, but with the more "traditional" wingtips. The slider is also different. Check the next post for details.

The group picture also shows a pair of WW2 combat Zeros. Plans are available from Ultra Hobby Products.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: How many Zeros does a person need?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
These pictures show details of the slider. Unlike the last version that uses a line eyelet to hold the lines in the high speed position, this one uses a music wire latch to hold the lines for high speed. Having the lines locked for high speed out closer to the wing tip gives less yaw on takeoff for better high speed, and having the low speed position closer to the fuselage allows more sweep angle for better low speed. Conceptually this is a similar setup to what Eric Conley uses, but tidier in my opinion.

The high speed latch is a torsion spring that spans two rib bays. It runs through a 1/16" brass tube that is sitting on top of the spar, just behind the leading edge sheeting. The latch is held in the down position by a release pin that connects to the hook, just as on the last airplane. When the hook drops, the release pin retracts, the latch springs up and releases the lines. From there it works just like the other slider. I have already figured out that the high speed latch mechanism would have been easier to build into the solid balsa tip rather than the open rib bay, and being closer to the tip, it would have actually put the lines in better position as well. OK, that's it. Gotta build another one!

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Bill, is the eyelet free to move about?  I guess with b/c up and down line spread, it won't travel in much more than shown in the picture.?.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
     Tidier? Like in "Tidy Cat", your plane is tidier than mine? OK I confess it is only because you stopped building carrier planes for I'm thinking 6 or 7 years. Until you stopped building carrier planes I was only one plane behind you as far as "tidy" went because I copied everything you would do to make your planes simple and clean. Now I must be at least 4 planes behind you soon to be 5 planes. Gee, whats a guy to do?
     One thing I'm noticing is that you are placing the bell-crank near the balance point instead of half way between the trailing edge and the balance point? I thought you put the BC half way between the TE and the balance point so the lines would move to the end of the slider easier after they were released from their high speed location. Please clue us all in.
     Your Zero's are looking great and there are so many. I'm still looking forward to seeing you at the "High Desert Control Line Fiesta" in Albuquerque NM August 20 & 21st.  Eric
Eric

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
Bill, is the eyelet free to move about?  I guess with b/c up and down line spread, it won't travel in much more than shown in the picture.?.
Lee TGD
The eyelet is free to "float". Due to the spread of the lines at the bellcrank, the eyelet usually rides up against the side of the slider. The eyelet is there simply to keep the lines grouped together when they slide back to the low speed position. It may not even be necessary, but I don't think it hurts anything. It is important that the slider slot is narrow enough that the eyelet can't get through to the "pilot's" side of the slider. Otherwise, the eyelet would end up about half way between the plane and pilot. Again, this probably wouldn't hurt anything, it would just mean the eyelet isn't doing what it's there for.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
    Tidier? Like in "Tidy Cat", your plane is tidier than mine? OK I confess it is only because you stopped building carrier planes for I'm thinking 6 or 7 years. Until you stopped building carrier planes I was only one plane behind you as far as "tidy" went because I copied everything you would do to make your planes simple and clean. Now I must be at least 4 planes behind you soon to be 5 planes. Gee, whats a guy to do?
     One thing I'm noticing is that you are placing the bell-crank near the balance point instead of half way between the trailing edge and the balance point? I thought you put the BC half way between the TE and the balance point so the lines would move to the end of the slider easier after they were released from their high speed location. Please clue us all in.
     Your Zero's are looking great and there are so many. I'm still looking forward to seeing you at the "High Desert Control Line Fiesta" in Albuquerque NM August 20 & 21st.  Eric
[/quote

Tidy cat? I thought it was Tigercat! The pivot of the bellcrank is still aft of the CG, so the slider does its thing. A more aft bellcrank location may make the slider slide with more authority, but as long as it works.......My bellcranks are where they are for structural reasons. The bellcrank platform glues to the spar for strength. If I wanted to mount the bellcrank further aft, the plywood mount would have to be bigger. I'm not sure I'm willing to accept the 4 gram weight penalty! :)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
Bill, I like that. I'll try it some day. Thanks for the Pics.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
Wow!  You have almost as many Zeros as I have total carrier planes. I really like your slider design and have been trying it on my recent planes.  I don't have the release quite as "clean" as you do but they had been gradually getting smaller.  How does the slider attach?  I am assuming that the back just slides in and the front is what retains it in.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
The rib is slotted for the back end of the slider frame, and notched for the loop on the front of the slider. The rib is 1/16 balsa, with 1/16 balsa doublers with the grain vertical. After the wing is fully covered and finished, the slider gets epoxied in place. Up front, a couple of drops of paint mixed in the epoxy make the glue joint invisible.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
They are an original, evolving design. Once this model is done, I'm going to clear off the work table and start drawing plans. The fuse and tail are the same outline as the sport/combat model plans sold by Ultra Hobbies. The wing on the new carrier plans will be built up, with a laser cut rib/spar set available. You will no doubt read about it here when the plans are done.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
I couldn't stand it. I had to change the line release mechanism location. Putting it on the solid balsa tip is both functionally and structurally better. Now I won't have to build yet another Zero.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
The problem I have had with sliders is that when they are activated the controls go to more up than down or vice versa depending on which side of the elevator the horn is.  Do you just learn to live with the change in controls? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
All of mine crank in some UP when they slide. If you've ever had the slider release during hi speed, you will appreciate up instead of down! During low speed, the up control doesn't seem to bother me, and is usually welcomed, at least when hanging. Some people use some sort of intermediate guide between the slider and bellcrank to reduce or eliminate the elevator shift.

Offline Kelly Wilson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Bill,
How many degrees of angle movement are you looking for from highspeed position to lowspeed locked position?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »
I don't know an exact number, but I can beat the topic into submission for you!

First, find the ideal high speed location using the line rake calculator on the NCLRA web site. For the purposes of a typical profile carrier model, the best high speed leadout position is about 7/8" behind the CG. To keep the plane tracking straight on takeoff, which gives the best high speed, the high speed line guide position should be as far toward the tip as practical.

For low speed, the rule book says the lines must emerge from the model no farther aft than the trailing edge of the wing root. But it doesn't say where along the wingspan the line guide has to be. It should be obvious that the closer to the fuselage the line guide is, the more sweep you get. When you have exceeded the magic combination of too much tip weight, too close a line guide, and/or too far aft a line position, the airplane gets "wobbly" and hinges badly on the end of the lines. At that point in flight, extend your arm or step toward the plane to eliminate some line tension which will reduce the "recoil" as the plane wobbles side to side. To fix it, change whichever variable is easiest to change. You probably won't rip out the slider and move it farther towards the wingtip, but maybe you can limit the slider's rearward travel, or remove a bit of tip weight. Some people seem to get away with a slider half way between the fuselage and wingtip, but to me that is too close. 2/3 of the way out to the tip is probably better.

Clearly the ideal high speed and low speed positions present somewhat of a contradiction. You can 1)Pick a compromise position for your slider, perhaps 3/4 of the way to the wingtip, 2)Install the slider at an angle, so it is farther out to the tip in front, and closer to the fuselage in the rear, or 3) have separate devices to hold the lines in the high speed and low speed positions. I have used all three arrangements. To my knowledge, local modeler Jim Kirby was the first to suggest the angled slider, which was featured on my  profile MO-1 plans. Plenty of people use this design. My last two Zeros have used the compromise position slider, and the one under construction will use a separate latch for the high speed line position, and a more inward slider for low speed.

The structure and design of the airplane also add into the equation. A  built up wing with internal controls dictates a slider at the tip with limited rearward travel. (Yeah, I know, you could use some dihedral and come out the bottom at some point). Sliders on top of the wing typically necessitate a different design then sliders under the wing. When in doubt, copy something else that has proven to work!

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
     For around the first 8 years flying carrier I went along with Bill's reply and flew the LS portion of the event carrying a lot of down elevator and did pretty good. It seemed to me that "keep it simple stupid" prevailed. Then I gave one of my planes away to a fellow that had seen the line setup on one of Pete Mazur planes and he switch over to the little catch line that keeps the control handle centered while flying the LS potion of the event. This fellow also started beating me at every contest we flew at with this plane. He finally said to me one day after thrashing me pretty good "I don't see why you don't switch over to the way Pete has his lines set up, it sure makes it easier to control the plane while in the hang". So I switched over and sure enough it was easier, course this fellow is still beating me so it dint fix everthing.
     I've placed a few pictures of this set up here. It is real simple to do.  Eric    
Eric

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »
Why don't all the lines go through it?

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »
You only put the opposite line of what the elevator does.  So say when the slider goes back it feeds up then you would put the down line in to keep the bellcrank from rotating.  It is a lot easier for me to show than explain but after this past weekend I don't have anything together that has that kind of set up on it.  Another problem you can run into is if you have a real aggressive slider then you can have a problem with the bellcrank rotating so much that the throttle can also move and become out of trim.  That is something I hag not figured out yet is if you have the keeper line to retain neutral and you have the throttle moving because if you put a second keeper line on it usually cancels out the first.

David

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 05:15:15 AM »
Gary Hull calls it a "Jump Buater". Worked on my new profile slider set just fine.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
... Another problem you can run into is if you have a real aggressive slider then you can have a problem with the bellcrank rotating so much that the throttle can also move and become out of trim.  That is something I hag not figured out yet is if you have the keeper line to retain neutral and you have the throttle moving because if you put a second keeper line on it usually cancels out the first.

David

This is part of the reason for angling the slider itself - so that the radius of the bellcrank->leadout-guide has less change from all-the-way-forward to all-the-way-back.  Angling the slider also makes the slider operate more freely and on my current profile I find I do not need any spring or any jump-buster to make the controls work smoothly and the slider lock at the rear.

Some pix here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=16913.msg155287#msg155287

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
I think Orin Humphries from Washington was the first one to publish the "jump buster" over 20 years ago. I never understood why you didn't put all the lines through it. That way you'd have no problems with the elevator OR the throttle when the slider slid. But I never found it necessary, personally.

On my current generation sliders, there is no "carriage" to slide, just the lines themselves moving through a slot. Thus, no friction or binding.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
Correct on Orin Humphries first published useage -

It is because one line or the other will get more change in effective length than the other - ie: if sliding the leadout guide causes a significant amount of down elevator, it is because the down line is being effectively shortened more than the up line - so you run the up line thru a fixed spot to take up the slack, and even out the change in length.

It has saved several planes for me that would have dived into the ground when the slider prematurely deploys at high speed, and also minimizes the amount of correction needed at the handle, when the slider is deployed.

On your current slider design, since all three lines pass thru the same 'hole' (the eyelet) at the leadout guide, there should be minimal difference in their change when swept fully.  So I would imagine that you see very little change in elevator deflection due to sweeping the leadout guide, thus no jump-buster or handle correction would be needed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:14:03 AM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »
bill
whats the blue stuff you use for wing fillets? D>K

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
It's called Super-Fil. It's a full scale aviation filler product and it's AWESOME to work with. Brodak sells it now, too. I learned about right here on Stunt Hangar. Just do a search and read all about it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
 I've been thinking about trying some of the Superfil stuff. On something like a wing fillet for example, how long does it take to set up before you can sand it?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
My normal procedure is apply today, sand tomorrow. Not sure how soon you can actually sand.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
Wayne, what are you doing hiding over here,, sheesh,,
the SuperFIll is great stuff, I typically allow 24 hours to sand because much sooner and it just wants to gum up the paper.
It is the cats meow for fillets
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Wayne, what are you doing hiding over here,, sheesh,,

Mark,

I dig a lot of the Carrier models even though I've yet to build one. I'm really liking the stuff Bill is cranking out though, very nice work. y1

Bill,

Apply today, sand tomorrow is usually my routine too. I may have to get ahold of some of that fancy Superfil stuff.

To date I've always done my fillets by using 30 minute epoxy with micro balloons. For any other filling, before silkspanning, I use drywall spackling compound. After silkspan and some clear if I have any small spots that need help I use a little red Bondo.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
Wayne,
 Brodak is selling an unspecified quantity of Super-Fil for about $17.50. It looks like a comparable amount to Epoxolite or Epoxy-lite. OR, you can buy about a quart of Super-Fil from Aircraft Spruce or any of several other aviation suppliers for about $20.00. I was able to get mine at a local airport. The one thing I don't really know is what kind of shelf life it has. If you are used to using epoxy and microballoons, I GUARANTEE you will like this stuff better. If you don't, I'll buy it from you!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
The new Zero is ready for primer. I had considered covering the wing with Monokote and then painting it, but went with Polyspan instead for the durability and permanence.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »
One thing about Super-Fil, while wet it can be shaped to a nice radius if you keep your radius tool (the dull end of an aluminum X-acto knife in my case) wet with with rubbing alcohol. The same technique can be used for Sig Epoxilite except use water to moisten. This minimizes sanding after drying. Zero looks great Bill!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
I use a broken prop as a shaping tool. One end is rounded for forming the fillet, and the other end is cut off square for scraping away the excess. An alcohol-dipped finger does the touch up. Minimal sanding is required. It took me about an hour to apply all the fillets, and about an hour to sand them the next day.

BTW Pete, missed you in Albuquerque.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
I missed being at the Albuquerque contest also but moved back to Northern CA in June. Maybe next year I can make the drive. As a consolation prize we had the Ted Goyet contest here the same weekend, no carrrier though.  :(
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »
Here is a question - primarily for Bill B. - but for the group -

Bill - do you have a full-fuse version drawn up or built for Class 1 or 2?  I want to get a Class 1 started and would prefer something besides an MO-1 but none of the other designs are in the size range that I feel is needed for present-day carrier.

Other ideas welcome, of course.

<Edit to add>

The Hellcat of Roy Fellows in the Wichita Contest thread would be great, also.  It looks to be just about perfect in size.  Anyone know how to get in contact with Roy? 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
Mike, I only have some three views that are blown up to 44" span, with some pencil lines and notes. After staring at them for a long time, I think smaller would be appropriate for class I, and for class II I will have to watch the weight every step of the way. In the far back corners of my brain I have considered building a class I to the size of the electric Parkzone F4F Wildcat. The fuselage could be sanded smooth and become the basis for a plug to mold fiberglass fuse shells, and the flying surfaces could be conventional wood constuction. If 2.4 ghz is allowed in the future, this plane could be an electric carrier model almost as-is!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
All the painting is done, now on with the "bits". Somewhere along the way I bought a gram scale, and have the made the following marginally interesting measurements. Ready for primer, the plane weighed 646 grams. The K&B primer coat weighed 48 grams. I sanded 36 grams back off, leaving 12 grams of primer. The base color added 25 grams, and the trim colors 1 gram, for a total of 38 grams. I don't know how much weight the glass and epoxy or the polyspan and nitrate added, since I didn't have the scale at that time. When all the parts are installed, I will get a total weight. The previous model weighed 44.5 oz, and has since picked up about a half ounce of tail weight.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here