News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How can we increase Nats participation?  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Peter Mazur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
How can we increase Nats participation?
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
The Nats participation in the carrier events was low this year, and has not been great for the last several years. Very soon the NCS will have to provide AMA with its request for dates, events, and other details for the 2014 Nats. So we need to ask people who did not come to the Nats in 2013 and perhaps in earlier years as well, what changes in the Nats would cause you to come to Muncie, either as a contestant in the official or in the unofficial events or as an official or other worker? Is there anything we should change, or is the Nats just never going to appeal to you?
Right now it appears that the Nats Carrier events will be held on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, July 15-17. (NCS could change this by a day or two, but doesn't have enough pull to actually reschedule by as much as a week unless all the control line events want a change.) In 2013 the Profile, eProfile, and Sportsman Profile events were all on Tuesday, the Class 1, eClass 1, Class 2, and eClass 2 were all on Wednesday, and all unofficial events except Sportsman Profile were on Thursday: all Nostalgia classes, Open and Sportsman .15 Carrier, and Skyray Carrier. Is there any problem with this schedule? How could it be improved?
Turnout in both the official and unofficial events was disappointing, and the unofficial events were largely entered by contestants that also flew in the official events. The Wallicks were the exception here and flew in the unofficial .15 events and Dave also flew in Profile and Danette in Sportsman Profile. Why didn't more people come and enter the unofficial events? This is especially a question for the Nostalgia events, as they are not held at all that many other contests, so the Nats is one of the few big chances every year to fly in Nostalgia. I can understand people saying they can enter .15 in all their local contests so they don't need to travel. But still, it is a chance to fly your favorite event at a National Championship. In the past, we had people come to help judge the official events and then stay on to fly in their favorite unofficial events. Nobody did that this year. In fact, nobody came at all to help Event Director Bill Calkins. All the other judging/timing was by other contestants in sort of a fly one/time one situation.
So, please let us know what can be changed to encourage your participation in the 2014 Nats.

Pete

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How can we increase Nats participation?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »
Well for me things have changed since I retired.   Not only financial but physical.  I now have muscles that don't work like they used to.  My granddaughter says I walk funny now.   The doctor says he can't do nothing for me and won't send me to another doctor.  Also trying to fly carrier is not so much fun flying by oneself or having to drive 70+ miles to fly with someone and/or getting blowed out by the wind or rain.  The health/physical is the main reason for not attending the NATS.   As I told Brenda and Melvin they would probably put me on the bus after the first night.  If I ever get things worked out both physically and  financially I will be back. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
This is something that affects not only Carrier but all forms of Control line and Free Flight flying.  Personal ability and talent have been replaced by big wallets.

I think the only thing that could be done would be to change the attitude of the current generation from buying whatever they want for instant gratification back to the thought that if one puts enough effort into an endeavor success will be achieved.  LOTS OF LUCK GETTING THAT ACCOMPLISHED!

Till then we will just have to keep enjoying ourselves until the last man who leaves turns off the lights.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Joe Just

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »
Pete, Thanks for getting the conversation going on this important subject. I hope that you will take the following in the manner  it is offered. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.
First, I stopped going or working at the Nats because it lost its fun element.  To anyone reading this that has worked on a team for Carrier they might agree that 3 days of intensive work as a timer, pull tester, or center judge can really take any fun out of the chore.  With the weather in Muncie over the years showing the heat or rain and certainly the humidity it is not a encouragement for somebody to pay their way to sit for  three whole days trying to do a good job.After the 95 Nats in the Tri-Cities, WA, I decided that I more than likely would not go to another Nats. And the choice of Muncie as the permanent Nats base left me convinced.

7 years ago I decided to give the Brodak Fly-in a try and discovered to my joy that this particular event was really a lot of fun!  Even those two days out of the next five that had rain, there never was a time when I could not easily get under shade and/or out of the Sun and stay comfortable. While the Carrier competition at Brodak's never really took on the numerous high talented flights on sees at the Nats there was enough of that skill flying there to give a representative show to the watching public and participants in other events that would drop by to see what Carrier was all about.  What was readily apparent was the fun that was taking place at the Carrier site.  The team of workers worked with fun, grace and skill and the director on occasion when needed filled in as the center judge.  There are videos (vhs) available that show nearly all the flights in Carrier for the past years and are available for a modest price. Viewing them will prove my feelings about that contest.
Next, and here comes the real negative reasons in my mind why the Nats has a dying entry level in Carrier.  Somewhere in my past I have read the following thread and have to wing it a bit as I can not find the thread on either SN or SS forums.  "13 events for less than 13 people entering Carrier at the Nats? What a joke!"  The quote may have mentioned 12 events not 13, but the basic thoughts are still relivent. I acan back up the interest there is in Carrier, having sold over 100 profile kits in the last 5 years.  along with that I have sold dozens of my own design 3-line handles as well.  Not one of these kits have shown up in Muncie.  Several have shown up at some local and regional Carrier competition.  What does that mean?  Well Pete in my mind it means that a lot of CL fliers are having a lot of fun without any desire to go to the Nats and see the same few win all the time.  It is a bit humerous to see more Carrier entries at the Portland, OR Tune up in April than there are at the national Championship contest.
When I first joined the  Navy Carrier Society in 1984 there were well over 100 members. Now we have only 30 or so that enjoy a beautiful news letter.  When I ran the Postal Carrier Contest for three years I had winners that declined to take the offer of a free membership in the NCS.  A few did and a couple that did never received any notice of their membership. Perhaps it might just mean the NCS must somehow change.
Well Pete there's just a few of my thoughts.  I hope they are not taken poorly.  I will end this by saying that while the Nats and I will never meet in Muncie I will do all I can to promote the flying of Navy Carrier. It is so much fun!
Joe Just

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
My interest has always been first and foremost, Stunt. That said, although I have competed in Carrier for all but two of the Muncie NATs years, about seventeen, the one thing that is NOT a factor in the low numbers is the people who do participate, a wonderful, caring bunch of folks.

We have to keep in mind the NATs is not a fun fly, it's competition. If the competition doesn't occur at the local level, there isn't much impetus to compete at the national level. There was a time, in all events, when club members duked it out among themselves, then banded together to duke it out with other clubs at the NATs. And, of course, we are, like Doc has pointed out, aged. The travel to Muncie alone, plus expenses,  is a deal breaker to many.

My goal in coming down off the "L" Pad to fly Carrier has always been to increase participation, and I'll sure try to compete in Carrier next year, maybe even refurbish "Old Reliable".

Just an after-thought.....Other disciplines, Racing for example, have suffered in numbers. Many of us have gone over to the Racing circles to increase participation there, and that is tough! But, just like Combat, which almost  died, and is now flourishing, maybe things will improve there, freeing up time for Carrier....

I will never be able to enter eleven events as I did in 1996, now, a mere two is over-load....  :)  dg

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
Hi Pete,

I am surely not one to have the answers to the declining participation.  But, as one who has an interest in carrier I can relate to the event which I have competed in at the NATS.  I fly CLPA as my main interest.  I am not very good when compared to the top of the Open class, but I have enjoyed the event for over 50 years now.

Personally even I have a problem in making it to the NATS for the 7 days, or so, that CLPA requires for participation.  The cost of the travel, room, food, etc., is almost unbearable.  I cannot have my wife go, work prohibits that.  Being on a retirement income, the funds are hard to justify.  Add to that the physical problems that aging can bring to some people, the NATS are not a viable option.

My last trip to the NATS as a competitor was actually in 1996 (first time in Muncie.  Before that it was 1993.  That is a LONG time ago, now!  I did get back as a spectator in 2004 for the CLPA WCs and NATS.  I could not stay the entire time.  Before retiring, work constraints prohibited attending many times.

So, the long time participants are often in the same boat I am.  Physical problems and fixed income.

I have been to the Brodak Fly In twice.  The overall atmosphere was MUCH different.  It IS a contest with many events, but the "pure enjoyment" factor was much higher.  The NATS seemed like a very serious endeavor like it should be, after all we are picking National Champions.

What have I added to the "solution"?  Probably not much, but I might just be in the category of those who do not find it able to attend the NATS.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Ty
Huntersville NC just makes it according to mapquest, 7 hrs 30 min

See you there?

John

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
I first flew carrier in 1990, so I am not against the 60 degree slow flight like many. I think the basic problem is the age of CL fliers. We are older , and have more issues. I missed the NATS this year due to medical problems.

I like going, it is a contest, not a fun fly so there is more pressure, but you can still have fun. The last few years have been more like a local contest with people helping and flying. The difference is the skill level, not me, them.

How to get people to come, I have no idea. I go because I like competing even if I m not the bets out there. Flying carrier is challenging which is why I fly it.

I particularly like the unofficial events, and nowadays electric. The NATS is one of the few within driving range for me that has Nostalgia and electric. Huntersville is the other.

John

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »
You obviously have never traveled with my wife. 12 hours tops. Women I find live to mark territory. Now at my age I find I too mark territory, every two hours.
Huntersville, is the same time as a far better contest , Baton rouge.  Better judges, more laid back, better system for selecting flight order and on and on. Don't get me started.  LL~

As far as I knew Baton Rouge does not have Carrier so I am hoping that your references toward judges and flight order are not toward Carrier. If they are then I take offense to that because I am the judge for Carrier at Huntersville and I make the flight order and I STARTED CARRIER at our contest. Now we are looking to have the most participants at our fall contest that we have ever had. Please don't bash some place that you have never flown at.

If your references are to stunt then I still take offense because I have been the CD a couple times for our contest and have made decisions on flight order. I have never seen you at our contest so how can you make a judgment on our contest if you haven't been there! One more thing if it is toward stunt you are in the wrong section! This is the Carrier section.

On the Nats participation, you were down a couple more this year because Michael and I weren't able to make it this year due to conflicts with my job and vacation time. That problem should not come up next year but we will just have to wait and see. We also have another Carrier flyer, My Fiancée, Sarah has been flying carrier for a while now and has even beat me a couple times, and she is wanting to compete at the Nats. If time allows we will try to make it next year.

David

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »
Personally I would drop Navy Carrier at the NATS. It surely is not economically sustainable and not very well attended. Part of the problem is that the interest in the events, is basically east coast, south east, west coast and southwest. There aren't that many flying NC there either. No support from the middle of the country because it's basically not there any more. In the late 60's and early seventies there were two contests for carrier in Cleveland, Detroit, Dayton, Cincinnati and Indianapolis per season. Not any more because hardly anyone does it in those areas. I just flew in a contest in Detroit, two guys from Detroit and three from Cleveland. We do it twice a year and it's getting tough. Now, you throw in the continuous rise of R/C, shake a box modelers and just plane economics on top of that and you are going nowhere. Why would anybody travel from the previously mentioned places to Muncie for a contest. NATS or not. I can have more fun at Brodaks until John says it's over and then that contest goes away also. I have news for you, it's not to far away when the AMA tells us all that control line can no longer be supported at Muncie. Get over it! Save your money and time.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
Wayne, I remember them well, Dayton use to have hill you had to go over before landing. Michigan use to actually have four contests back in the early 70's. (two at Rouge Park and one at Utica (State Meet Ford Test track) and Battle Creek. Wallick had two in Cincy and I think Higley ran the Cleveland Air Races, Nor including the Nats in Glenview. Bob Sawicki

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »
You never ever want to drop a NATS event.   If you do it will never be thought of again.   I can see why guy/gals don't fly  some events.   Especially the events that were supposed to draw new blood to the event.   Yes, I flew sportsman profile carrier but will never again at the NATS.   if you go back thru the history of the last decade of the NATS you will see where individuals were flying the AMA Class I & II events plus profile and then flying the events that were supposed to be for the sportsman. 

I still say the demise of carrier participation was when it was allowed that contestants could fly all three classes of carrier.   Myself I never thought of profile as I liked the scale planes.   At the time the line sliders came to be and the 60 hanging I was not involved in carrier. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »
You won't have a choice. AMA will drop it for you. No question about it.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Joe Just

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
Sometime tomorrow a new committee will offer some words onn how to not only save the Nats but increase Carrier participation.  I'm having a bit of a time trying to make sure all the ideas get put into their proper space.  All I can offer now is " it couldn't hurt to give it a read!"
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
After giving this a lot of thought here is my idea. 

Take the NATS to the fliers. The NW, SW and Mid-east get pretty good turnouts at their carrier contests. Separate the Carrier NATS Events from the AMA NATS. There is a precedent, the indoor is not held in Muncie. Rotate the NATS between the NW, Arizona, maybe California, Huntersville, and New Jersey, and Muncie. At least anywhere there are strong local contests and interest in carrier. 

The locals could include other events, scale, stunt , combat etc. Having a National level event might help increase participation in those events also. So the schedule might be; NW, Huntersville, Arizona, Muncie.

If participation goes up other actions like skill classes could be considered.

This should automatically get more fliers to the deck, since these local events typically have more contestants than the NATS is getting today.

John

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
That's a very interesting idea. Might work.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »

Take the NATS to the fliers. The NW, SW and Mid-east get pretty good turnouts at their carrier contests. Separate the Carrier NATS Events from the AMA NATS. There is a precedent, the indoor is not held in Muncie. Rotate the NATS between the NW, Arizona, maybe California, Huntersville, and New Jersey, and Muncie. At least anywhere there are strong local contests and interest in carrier. 

The locals could include other events, scale, stunt , combat etc. Having a National level event might help increase participation in those events also. So the schedule might be; NW, Huntersville, Arizona, Muncie.

This should automatically get more fliers to the deck, since these local events typically have more contestants than the NATS is getting today.

John

I like this idea.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »

John

John, I have no problem with that either.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »
Good Idea John!  Now, we have to get the NCS management to agree.  It must be put to the whole membership an d the newsletter is the only way to get that done.  In effect, it would be telling the AMA to go suck eggs (however politely we do it).  Would they be willing to have Carrier competition only every 4 to 6 years? If the NCS refuses to have a vote, then what?  Also, Expert and Sportsman class have to be part of any Nats event, with different awards, etc.
Joe
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:06:42 PM by Joe Just »

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Good Idea John!  Now, we have to get the NCS management to agree.  It must be put to the whole membership an d the newsletter is the only way to get that done.  In effect, it would be telling the AMA to go suck eggs (however politely we do it).  Would they be willing to have Carrier competition only every 4 to 6 years? If the NCS refuses to have a vote, then what?  Also, Expert and Sportsman class have to be part of any Nats event, with different awards, etc.
Joe
I think the AMA would love it if they didn't have to schedule ANY CL events.  After all I think the total attendance at the CL NATS may be less than that in one RC combat or Pylon event.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Don
I agree, the AMA only provides minimal support now. I don't see a rotating schedule offending anyone.
John

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Don't forget about those who like to see and / or participate in other events. The rotating venue scheme would eliminate that opportunity.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Joe Just

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »
Don't forget about those who like to see and / or participate in other events. The rotating venue scheme would eliminate that opportunity.

How many out of the 8 participants in 2013 flew other events?  Two that I know of.  Perhaps the demise of Carrier at the Nats might just give them more time to participate in the other events. Also, if it could be worked out then Muncie (Nats) would still get Carrier participation every 4 years. That might be beneficial to the AMA if we get Carrier entries up at other Championship sites. That just might be the factor (and two skill classes) to offer  The AMA every now and then. And don't forget, a traveling Carrier Championship would be in conjunction with other events.  For example, if the NW were part of the circle then one could also enter the vast variety of events at the annual NW Regionals.  The events would include racing, speed, combat, scale, and a bazillion PA and OTS events. I'm sure that the other areas mentioned would also have other events for Carrier people to enter. A win/win situation.
Joe

Joe

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
This has been a good discussion and maybe it is time to summarize what I have learned here. Of course, the big thing is that we are all older and less able or interested in serious travel to compete in contests. And for so many, the fun of flying in a contest with friends greatly outweighs the fun of competing at a national championship. I, too, enjoy some contests a lot (such as the Phoenix contest going on right now,) even more than the Nationals. But a national championship is the highest achievement in these events and for a serious competitor, it is worth working hard for. I do understand that a lot of people just don't want to put in the effort needed to compete on a national level, and that's just fine. They can and should enjoy the local and regional contests and keep those contests strong.
The idea that there are too many events at the Nationals is a difficult one. It starts with three official classes and these are the ones with the greatest emphasis in terms of operations and they are the most important.Then you get to the provisional and unofficial events and, when you start asking around, people say, "No, don't drop that event, it's really fun and I love to go there and fly it." So the events stay. The good thing is the only cost is the time and effort of those working to support the events, and there are people willing to help others have the events they enjoy. That's how we get others to help with the events we enjoy.
The 2013 Nats was missing some regulars, people who were not able to come this year but have in most past years and who plan to come next year. I can think of David and Michael Smith, Dale Gleason, Dick Perry and Ted Kraver and expect most of these people to be back in 2014. So we may not really be hurting quite so badly for active participants as 2013 indicated. I have participated in the Nats Planning Meeting for several years and the question of the minimum participation over the years required to keep the events going at the Nats does come up. We are nowhere near that minimum, so we are not in any danger that AMA will drop Carrier from the Nats.
I believe that all of us would prefer the Nats rotate around the country as in the past before settling in Muncie. This certainly has a bad effect on participation. When we first moved to Muncie, we were told that we would still occasionally rotate to other venues. Well, that never happened, and many of us are disappointed. Some of us still bring it up with AMA, but so far that seems to be like talking to a brick wall.
The idea of having the Carrier Nats move around without the rest of the events is appealing in many ways but also has problems. First, as was mentioned, separating Carrier from the other events would mess up those who also participate in both at the Nats. Of this year's Carrier entrants, five entered other events at the Nats and at least two more, Ted and Dale, intend to come in 2014 and also enter other events. So more than half the contestants enter other events. That's a problem. The next problem is that the NCS doesn't get to choose where the Carrier Nats is held: that is reserved for the AMA Executive Committee to decide, not NCS or even the AMA Nats management people. So getting the Nats moving around the country occasionally, perhaps the entire CL Nats if we could, is something we have to convince the Executive Committee to do. I suggest individuals talk to  their AMA Vice Presidents about this and see if they would be supportive. Doing the groundwork first with individual contacts with the VPs is much more likely to give us an idea of what they might support than by having the NCS go to the entire Executive Council first with such a proposal. We would need a core of supportive VPs receptive to any such proposals before we would have a chance. Individuals could use their existing relationships with their VPs to seek support, or to find out if there will be none.
Another idea might be to have an annual NCS Championships contest. NMPRA has done this for decades for pylon racing and it has worked. Would this work for NCS? I'm not convinced. First, would it cannibalize the Nats, so people would go the the NCS Championships in their neighborhood and skip the Nats? Second, would it really be a championship contest, or would it just be the same regional contest with a new name? People can see through that sort of thing pretty easily. Maybe we should consider designating a "Contest of the Year" where we encourage everybody to make the trip to one of these contests, not as a championship but as a special year to make the regional contest have a special turnout. Each of these regional contests might expect a larger turnout but it would still be a regional contest. Who knows, perhaps a bunch of the guys who do not want to compete at the national championship level would enjoy traveling to and competing in a regional contest instead. Think of it as a rotating, Brodak-type contest where the emphasis is on fun and camaraderie rather than determining a national champion. Perhaps it could have more than the official events by including some of the unofficial or provisional events as well and spread the events over more than one day so people weren't completely exhausted trying to fly everything all on one day.

Pete

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
The "Executive Committee" and Congress have a lot in common.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »
Pete
I think your Second sentence gets to the heart of the issue, and unfortunately there is not much we can do about the aging of CL fliers.
I have always had fun at the NATS and hope to be back next year.
John

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
Thanks Pete for your words.  I too have had fun at the NATS.  I started attending the NATS in order to meet and see people I just read about in the magazines.   At that time it was Combat and Carrier for NATS competition for me.  Also at that time the NATS was Navy sponsored and we had places to stay at low cost.  The NATS was moved around the country and the two venues was Chicago plus Dallas/Fort Worth for us.   But since then the AMA has gotten a National Model Aviation site which means we don't get to see the different parts of this great land of ours.  I know where the best stops are on the way to and on the way back to Muncie.  I too hope to make it back to the NATS as I had fun meeting new people and seeing the ones I had already met.   Now that I am getting work done on the knees and other problems watch out I may be back.  Now have a group of guys that Dave Trible is getting together at a site that I hope works out so that maybe I can get my carriers in the air without having to drive 70+ miles.  Now in reality we already have a couple of regional  sites in the form of the NW fliers,  the Tuscon group and the Dallas club.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
Pete
I think your Second sentence gets to the heart of the issue, and unfortunately there is not much we can do about the aging of CL fliers.
I have always had fun at the NATS and hope to be back next year.
John

John
We can promote CL to a younger crowd.  My boys are 14 and 16, they got me into CL and prefer CL over RC.  And we have been selling CL to young kids and younger RC flyer.  I've found there's a bunch of teens and 20ish guys that want to learn to actually build their own planes and enjoy flying CL. Some have never heard of CL and have never seen a scratch built plane.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
Duke
Go for it. My club has had or been involved in such programs for well over 30 years. Results; zero. If they stay in the hobby, they normally go over to RC. Sunday we had a club contest, 2 jr's, one young adult. They all flew CL.  The young adult half hearted lay flew his CL and spent more time with his quad copter, the jr's watched lovingly at the copter.

I am not trying to be negative, but the fact is, most kids today are more into RC than CL, if they has modeling interest at all. My own kids and and grand kids all flew CL, but none stayed. I have a couple that sure like copters though.

John

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »
John
I don't really take it as you being negative.  I have been trying to get more people involved, this year I put about 20 kids up on their first CL'ers at the air fair and had several guys from the RC club build Ringmasters and come fly with us at the Ringmaster Fly a thon.  Several more RC'ers would have come but they rescheduled a float plane contest they had already paid for.  I enjoy flying CL and working with kids, it's a good fit.  Here's my newest recruit, my two year old nephew. He loves Uncle's planes.

Joe Just

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
OK. Now after having had some really good input about saving the Nats with the Carrier participation......What are we going to do about it? Who is going to be the person to be the guide.  Can we look to new methods, or are we moribund?
Just how serious are we about getting "Skill Classes"?
What can the NCS do to help?
Is somebody willing to start a new topic on this site?, Or, should we just sit back and fail to try anything, just letting our Carrier family do what we have always done?
Joe

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
There are a lot of people who would like skill classes, but are waiting for someone else to get started. May I suggest that skill classes could be a very simple item to try. We already do it in Profile with Sportsman and Open, so we have a pretty fair idea of how that might work. What I have observed is that, with self-selected entry, nobody has ever entered Sportsman who should have entered Open. It's just never, ever happened in the many contests I have participated in that have offered a Sportsman class. All contest directors/managers/organizers should consider offering Sportsman if they are not already doing so. We do that for Sportsman Profile and find that there are usually too few entries to make it worthwhile on a strictly numerical basis, but we do it anyway. If you have a contest with enough entries to have Sportsman in Class 1 and 2 as well, why not offer that? Use the same basic distinction between Sportsman and Open that is used for Profile without trying to add rules for a cutoff score or sliders or hanging. Please, just do it, don't wait for somebody else to do it. At your contest, give Sportsman a try in as many classes as you think you can and let us all know how it works.

Pete

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
There are a lot of people who would like skill classes, but are waiting for someone else to get started. May I suggest that skill classes could be a very simple item to try. We already do it in Profile with Sportsman and Open, so we have a pretty fair idea of how that might work. What I have observed is that, with self-selected entry, nobody has ever entered Sportsman who should have entered Open. It's just never, ever happened in the many contests I have participated in that have offered a Sportsman class. All contest directors/managers/organizers should consider offering Sportsman if they are not already doing so. We do that for Sportsman Profile and find that there are usually too few entries to make it worthwhile on a strictly numerical basis, but we do it anyway. If you have a contest with enough entries to have Sportsman in Class 1 and 2 as well, why not offer that? Use the same basic distinction between Sportsman and Open that is used for Profile without trying to add rules for a cutoff score or sliders or hanging. Please, just do it, don't wait for somebody else to do it. At your contest, give Sportsman a try in as many classes as you think you can and let us all know how it works.

Pete

I believe any rule modification like that is acceptable for an AMA sanctioned event as long it is advertised 30 days before the event.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags: NATs 

Advertise Here