News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Historic Model Bonus  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Historic Model Bonus
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
Is there a list published anywhere of published or kitted models eligible for the "Historic Model Bonus" for nostalgia profile carrier.  If not - here's a start:  Mo-Ho series of profiles, Sterling F6F, Howard Motin's "Starjet"
Question #2: Does the Cordes/Higley "Spearfisher" qualify as a historic model?
Question #3: If the Historic model's plans show a leadout slider, I take it that it will be immobilized for competition (that's a good thing IMHO).
Observation: Under the rules one of the most historic models is disqualified (for profile anyway), the "Sterling Skyshark".  I do understand the logic of this though as opening up the door for under 300" models would generate  another generation of "Blue Rat Racer lookin' Carrier Crashers".
Why do I ask?  I just came in second in a local Nostalgia Carrier Competition, losing by 3 points without the historic model bonus to a plane that received it - no complaints, a very well deserved win by a waaay superior carrier flier...but wait 'till next year!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Historic Model Bonus
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
     Thomas Wilk has a CD with quite a few nostalgia planes on it with there original articles that appeared in the early magazines. His e-mail address is    tawilk36@cpinternet.com

There is a very comprehensive document put out by Dick Perry ''NCS President'' that list 152 nostalgia carrier planes. It also has the present rules for nostalgia carrier. I could send you a copy if you would like one? There are a lot of planes and more are coming forward as time goes by so if you hear of one and it is not on the list I'm pretty sure Dick could help you out. eric

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
Thanks for that Eric. I had forgotten about that list and have it on file...somewhere.  If I can't find it I will get back to you.  If you have yours, is the Spearfish eligible?  The reason I ask is that I "kitted" that plane about 2 years ago, just have to put the together but it would be specifically for the nostalgia event.  If you care to make the drive over the hill Carrier will be run at the Woodland contest on May 4th.  I will have to get back to Tom Wilk as well regarding that CD. 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
     Yes it does. Its on the list as a Fairey Spearfish Cordes/Higley Profile was in the Model Airplane News 38'' wing span, 370 square inch area, Nats winner, AMA record holder, Plans #FPS11804.
     I don't have the slightest idea what they look like but the measurements look pretty good. eric

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:52 AM »
Thanks Eric - that's mainly what I needed to know.  Look wise, think of a TBM Avenger with a British accent...that was hit with an ugly stick.. but at least it's not an MO-1  S?P
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
Where are the Nostalgia rules posted?

As of yesterday, they weren't on the NCS site.
Paul Smith

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »
Try this link.

http://www.navycarriersociety.org/NostagilaCarrier.aspx

It has the nostalgia rules.

Bob Frogner

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:34:21 AM »
Thanks, I see it now.  Yesterday all that came up was 15 Profile.

Now, a question about the meaning of "published".  Would a photograph PUBLISHED in Model Aviation suffice?  No plans or contruction article, but a VERY clear photograph from a pre-1976 AMA Nats.

The stunt guys welcome that sort of documentation, but what about carrier?

Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
The stunt guys welcome that sort of documentation...

Yeah, when it's a modified kit! Or a dated photograph from a contest before the cut-off date when the published article date is after the cut-off. Context is of the essence, Paul. Jeez... ::)

Chris...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:44:14 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:56:27 PM »
  Kit or plans. Photo no. How could accurately determine size from a photo?  Ref 5 &  5.1

Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »
  Kit or plans. Photo no. How could accurately determine size from a photo?  Ref 5 &  5.1

Mike Potter

#1 - It's a Profile, so it's obviously sized to 300 square inches.

#2 - I designed the original, & I still have the templates.

#3 - The plans were filed at AMA with the record application.

But if the rule is "MUST HAVE PLANS IN THE MAGAZINE", fine, I just won't build it.  I'm not trying to fight or change the rules, just trying to figure out if I can use my own design (which was photo-documented) in the event.

Paul Smith

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »
     #5 Historic Model Bonus: A bonus of 20 points will be awarded for models which were "Published or Manufatured Prior to January 1, 1978". The Contest Director may require proof of eligibility, which shall be the responsibility of the contestant. Proof may consist of "Dated Published Plans, Magazine Constrution Articles or Advertisements".
     If after reading this you still have to ask "Well will this plane that I want to build qualify?" you have pretty much ansewed your question for yourself. NO

NOW there nothing to keep you from building this plane and entering it in Nostalgia with the knowledge that you wont recieve the bonus 20 points. Its the same as the "Non-schnuerle Engine Bonus", if you dont use a loop scavanged engine you will loose another 20 points. eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here