News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: guardian paint schemes?  (Read 2089 times)

david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
guardian paint schemes?
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
I was wondering if any body knew if there were any paint schemes other than dark blue, white, or grey that I could use for a guardian.  Ill add some pics too. Thanks
David

david smith

Re: guardian paint schemes?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
I also dont know how to make the pic show up on my post.  Im kinda computer illiterate!

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
I was wondering if any body knew if there were any paint schemes other than dark blue, white, or grey that I could use for a guardian.  Ill add some pics too. Thanks
David
Dave, unfortunately the Guardian was a victim of standardization. Navy Blue, Gray/White and the prototype silver with blue empenage. There were some minor trim variations, by squadron, base or reserve versus regular navy units. For AMA navy carrier event, any typical paint job can be used within reason. I personally don't understand WW2 paint jobs on prewar aircraft but whatever. I had fun using a paint job from Skyraiders on my Guardians for years and you can easily make a case for that color scheme with a slight stretch. But the picture attached shows a legal Guardian paint job.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
From the rulebook:

"8.1.4. To receive bonus points in any class:
a. The color of the model must be similar to any military-type aircraft paint scheme.
b. If a clear canopy is not used the cockpit or canopy area must be defined with a contrasting color or color outline denoting the scale area."

You can pick any military aircraft paint scheme you like and go for it. 

I happen to like the pre-WW2 paint schemes with bright colors that identified the ship, squadron, mission, flight, and position in the flight.

How about solid black with a white Playboy icon on the vertical tail?  There was an F4 Phantom at the Navy test range with that paint scheme.

Dave

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
I have  book photos (somewhere) of orange F6F Hellcats (Post-war drone targets), and a Yellow Blackburn Skua with a black band that spirals from the nose to tail (Target Tug).  I also have photos of an F7F TigerCat with the pre-war type yellow upper wing surface and a dark blue fuselage (and red fin/rudder, iirc) --

By the way, Wayne - that is one gorgeous Guardian --

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
I also dont know how to make the pic show up on my post.  Im kinda computer illiterate!

When composing your message (or reply) there should be an "Additional Options" button - this will let you attach a photo to your message by navigating to it on your computer.  As for embedded photos, me neither ... there is an "Insert Image" button, but I don't see how to make it work.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

david smith

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the black because my spearfish is also black and the playboy bunny just makes it cool. Thanks
David

david smith

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
I changed my mind I made it white

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:02 AM »
Nice David!!  Is that my Crescent wrench?? LL~
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
Is that Monokote on that wing???   That HOSS of an OPS engine is going
to max out that stuff I would think....you gonna route the exhaust out of
the engine bay? or just let it deflect off the piece behind the engine there.

Way cool plane no doubt...reminds me of the OLD days...omg...I can't believe I said that.
Big Dave AMA 80235

david smith

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
Hey Ray that is my prop nut wrench.  Yes the wing is monokote and believe it or not it balances out with that motor.  The whole thing only weighs 3lbs 2oz.  exhaust is just gonna deflect out.  It works alright I had it running earlier but it was giving me some problems. I had the tank up above the wing and it just kept flooding so I cut in to the fuse and remounted it in the bottom and epoxied the carb in the motor cause it fell out while it was running.  I havent built a class 2 yet and really all I want is to have it go fast the class 1 will be a little more competitive. Anybody have any suggestions on props for the ops its a 60? Thanks
David

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
Hey Ray that is my prop nut wrench.  Yes the wing is monokote and believe it or not it balances out with that motor.  The whole thing only weighs 3lbs 2oz.  exhaust is just gonna deflect out.  It works alright I had it running earlier but it was giving me some problems. I had the tank up above the wing and it just kept flooding so I cut in to the fuse and remounted it in the bottom and epoxied the carb in the motor cause it fell out while it was running.  I havent built a class 2 yet and really all I want is to have it go fast the class 1 will be a little more competitive. Anybody have any suggestions on props for the ops its a 60? Thanks
David

I thought that was MY crescent wrench -- As for the props, I would start with a 10-8 APC and if you need a little more flywheel, maybe go to an 11-7 or so.  How much nitro will you be using?  I never ran more than 25% in a class 2, but it may need more to get a 10-8 up on the step.  Should be a fun plane ...

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 04:36:42 AM »
I thought that was MY crescent wrench -- As for the props, I would start with a 10-8 APC and if you need a little more flywheel, maybe go to an 11-7 or so.  How much nitro will you be using?  I never ran more than 25% in a class 2, but it may need more to get a 10-8 up on the step.  Should be a fun plane ...

I would second that 10X8 APC or try a 10X7 also.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

david smith

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »
I started with some 10-8 top flight but they were so soft that they got knicks in them just from trying to start it. I have a 10-7 master airscrew on it now and I was going to try some 10-7 zinger props. I wasnt sure what nitro to use. I dont know what was used in that engine because I dont ever remember my dad using it on anything. I tried some 25%but the carb has fallen out twice now while it was running. I dont have the right way to clamp it so I tried to glue it with jb weld but that didnt work so I think I will try regular epoxy unless anybody has any suggestions. I hope that I can test fly it this weekend and get it on video.
David

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
I started with some 10-8 top flight but they were so soft that they got knicks in them just from trying to start it. I have a 10-7 master airscrew on it now and I was going to try some 10-7 zinger props. I wasnt sure what nitro to use. I dont know what was used in that engine because I dont ever remember my dad using it on anything. I tried some 25%but the carb has fallen out twice now while it was running. I dont have the right way to clamp it so I tried to glue it with jb weld but that didnt work so I think I will try regular epoxy unless anybody has any suggestions. I hope that I can test fly it this weekend and get it on video.
David

David, 10X8 or 10X7 APC would be my choice to start. I would use 10% fuel for now just to get you going. As for the carb, I hope there is a set screw at least holding the carb in. 30 minute epoxy cured overnight, I have always found sufficient. I still use epoxy to hold and seal my carb in my Rossi 60. It must be extremely clean, no oil during assmbly and let the motor sit vertical so the epoxy settles in. Good luck.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
David

I don't remember him using it either, but there isn't much reason to start out with any nitro that is too high.  If you have 25%, that will work fine.  The main thing is to get the carb solidly mounted, or you'll never get the needles to set.  As Wayne said, get it very clean and very dry (get some acetone and scrub with an old toothbrush and q-tips -- acetone is usually available with paint thinners in quart cans).  It probably wouldn't hurt to file some grooves in the neck of the carb (THEN clean).  If all else fails, drill across the base of the carb and use a screw and a nut as well as some epoxy.  Be careful to keep the chips out of the engine.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here