News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guardian Crashes on landing  (Read 966 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Guardian Crashes on landing
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »
Well, practice makes perfect. Carrier trials for my new profile Guardian proved to be a disaster. On the fourth flight I landed on the circle after a windy flight and the lines snaged some grass. this caused the enginge to accelarate and it proceeded to do a wing over. It's repairable but not in time for Detroit on 5/17. I will go to last years airplane. Oh well, the pilot lived.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Joejust

Re: Guardian Crashes on landing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
Wayne, Sorry to see your beautiful ship dinged up! Will it be repaired by Brodak's?
With just a few weeks left I was hopeing to get out and fly the NO-1 (NOT MO-1) before packing it for shipment to PA.  Weather was great, but health was a bit rough over the weekend. Sure hpe I get it up and down safely before I have to ship it East.
Joe

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »
Wayne,
That is such a shame.  Guess you should have been flying over the water-no grass there.  Good luck on getting it back together for Brodaks.
John

Edit:
Wayne,
That might have sounded a little cocky now that I read it again.  Should have said something more like I hope you have it back together in time for Brodaks.  I am sure you know what I mean in any case.  It sucks when they go down so early in life.
John
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:34:26 PM by John Paris »
John Paris

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
The plan is to have it repaired for Brodak's.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
I'd consider it a "freak" accident, not much you could have done to save it.  I'm glad that it is repairable and really like the paint scheme. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
Accidents do happen.  I have repaired my Brodak Gaurdian several times.  It was usually after I got it hanging with a Fox that did not work that well.  Haven't flown it since the Webra has been put on it.  Also have a catch for the control line in side the wing now.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
Well it's repaired. Fortunately no broken spars or leading edge if you can believe that. I checked all of the glue joints also. I decided to make some new ribs ang glue them up against the old ribs. Beats rejigging the whole wing. I then installed new trailing edge and cap strips. I only had to replace part of the white covering on the underside of the wing then I recovered the entire left wing. Put the trim back on and it looks OK. I believe I found another hitch. It looks like my throttle wire was bearing the load and I was getting some hunting. I made another clip and it feels better at least when I hold the handle,there is more tension on the up and down lines. I need to make new lines tomorrow and we are off to Detroit Sunday. Supposed to be Sunny and cool with winds 10-15. I am attaching a couple of pictures.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
A valuable lesson learned.  Check tension on all lines when handle is in high speed mode.  Same with low speed.  Glad to hear it's back in one peice. DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
Well it's repaired. Fortunately no broken spars or leading edge if you can believe that. I checked all of the glue joints also. I decided to make some new ribs ang glue them up against the old ribs. Beats rejigging the whole wing. I then installed new trailing edge and cap strips. I only had to replace part of the white covering on the underside of the wing then I recovered the entire left wing. Put the trim back on and it looks OK. I believe I found another hitch. It looks like my throttle wire was bearing the load and I was getting some hunting. I made another clip and it feels better at least when I hold the handle,there is more tension on the up and down lines. I need to make new lines tomorrow and we are off to Detroit Sunday. Supposed to be Sunny and cool with winds 10-15. I am attaching a couple of pictures.
Wayne

Well Detroit was a success in as much as the airplanes came home in one piece. Flew the Profile and Class 2 in bad winds and got officials. It was really blowing at Rouge park. The carrier circle is basically in a bowl so the wind is really goofy. No crash is a major achievement. The profile flew much better with the line issue corrected. No hunting and very stable in high speed. Low speed was a chore so with the wind blowing and gusting any score with a successful line snag was an accomplishment. The Class 2 got two flights and two broken props but no major issues. It needs more adjusting. I want to thank Lee Ryktarsik and Mark Warwashana for a great day. Now i just have to make it to brodak's.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
Well you had two of the best helping you.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here