News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fun scale carrier  (Read 3825 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fun scale carrier
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
Of course there is no event called Fun scale carrier. So I thought I would build one anyway. Last summer I bought an all foam ARF Corsair, thinking of making it into an electric class I. It was made by a company called GuanLi Kits. The kits are occasionally available at Nitroplanes. They are probably sold under other names, but anyway they are pretty similar to all other EPO foam kits out there. After looking it over I decided it was more suitable as a fun scale plane. It probably wouldn’t hold up to the rigors of carrier competition.

The model is really set up for a relatively low power system, so I decided to use a combination that has worked well for me in scale. I installed a 480 1020Kv motor, which turn a 10x7 or 11x7 with authority on 3s batteries. Control will be 2.4g Ghz. The model come with ailerons installed, so I installed an aileron servo, for in-flight wig-wags.

I haven’t decided on other ‘carrier’ items such as a hook or slider. One nice feature of electric power is the ability to test fly and then finishing the model. No worry about a greasy mess. If I like the way it flies, I can add those features later. I think the model is actually finished, but it is a minimal finish. If I like it I’ll probably add some paint. All in all not a bad model for $25.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:39:10 PM by john vlna »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Fun scale carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »

Neato! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
Ty,
My thoughts exactly. If I can slow the thing down to a reasonable landing speed it would likely hold up. Foam properly reinforced is pretty strong. I have been flying an all foam 15 with no problems for two years.
John

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
The more I think about this, the more I like it as a local, fun-carrier, thing.  I would suggest very simple rules, a speed limit and a loaner plane for those that might be tempted to give it a try.  Or, instead of a speed limit, just limit the battery to a 3 cell, 2200 mah Lipo which is the most common for the Park Flyer types that would be easy to adapt to this event.  Say,,,  52 foot lines with a plain old handle, (throttle operated by the off hand, so no one feels like they have to cut up a radio to try it).   Yeah, I think you may have hit on something, John.  I bet I can sell this idea to a couple of club members.

or
How bout a Postal Contest?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:03:15 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Joe Just

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
Mike, the idea of a postal contest is dear to me, having run 2 or 3 in recent years.  A lot of work, and to be honest not a great deal of interest was generated dispite simple, simple cpmntest rules.  I offered nearly $800 in prizes too, and some guys really made out very well indeed.  After Gin ny's health went South I spent mostof my efforts there. If I can get 6 clubs to offer it I may institute it again.
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
Mike,
An interesting idea, especially the postal idea. My F4U will use a 3s battery, and my guess will have a top speed in the mid-high 50's
john

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
FINALLY GOT THE CORSAIR OUT TO THE FIELD TODAY, BUT NOT IN THE AIR. I STARTED WITH A TAXI AND NOTED THAT THE GEAR LOOKED ODD. UPON INVESTIGATING THE WIRE WAS BENT, ODD IT WASN'T  WHEN I INSTALLED THEM. TURNS OUT THE WIRE IS SO SOFT YOU CAN BEND IT WITH TWO FINGERS. SO THE FIRST FLIGHT WAITS ON NEW GEAR.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
FINALLY GOT THE CORSAIR OUT TO THE FIELD TODAY, BUT NOT IN THE AIR. I STARTED WITH A TAXI AND NOTED THAT THE GEAR LOOKED ODD. UPON INVESTIGATING THE WIRE WAS BENT, ODD IT WASN'T  WHEN I INSTALLED THEM. TURNS OUT THE WIRE IS SO SOFT YOU CAN BEND IT WITH TWO FINGERS. SO THE FIRST FLIGHT WAITS ON NEW GEAR.
Probably made with the current generation of supposedly "music wire" from the far East.  Even the K&S stuff in the hobby shops is nowhere near as high quality as we used to get.

A possible source of good wire is McMaster-Carr.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
yeah, can't play a tune on chinese music wire

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
I picked up an Ace 'funscale' Corsair kit this weekend at an RC swap meet.  Span is 36" and a foam wing so it's in the same class as the foamy that you started with, but it has a built up fuse (with a not-very-scale cross section).  It has no landing gear and the spar will take a little re-engineering to allow landing gear in the wing, but should be a quick build.  I will be using a no-name 3536-1450kv on 3 cells and a 30 or 40 amp ESC, 2.4 gHz and 2-line.  We will just have to see if this takes off or not but I still like the concept.   
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
     Wow Mike, your combination of equipment is far from what I have come to use in my electric planes. In my CL-2 plane I'm using a 3226 1400KV motor, 150A ESC, and a 4cell 5000 mah battery. On the initial power up I pull a little over 115A which trails off to around 90+A for the rest of the HS portion of the event. I use the 150A ESC because of the heat generated by the LS portion of the flight (which could be opposite of what I should by doing). Am I missing something with you using 3536-1450KV motor, 3 cell battery, with a 30 to 40 amp ESC? I'm using a 2 wire 2.4 system also and loving the simplicity. Eric
Eric

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
Note that this setup is in response to John's "FunScale Carrier" project - not for anything actually being flown competitively on the current (pun unintended  :)!) competition schedule.

here is what John's plane is using (from a PM reply when I asked for more detail)----

"Mike all up weight is 17.2 oz, without a battery, I am planning to use  1300 3s 25c battery, about 4.25 oz. span is about 34 inch, The motor is a Exceed RC alpha 480 1020Kv. The alpha series is not made, but they have an Optima series which looks like the  same motor.

The model is similar to Airfield,  http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a292-800f4u-kit-yellow.html   
and this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17375__ZERO_850mm_ARF_.html

The HK kit is better quality, yes I have one and if this works I'll set it up. Haven't seen the airfield kit"

I'm thinking that the 1450 Kv motor will probably require 2200 mah batteries, but otherwise, mine will probably be in a similar performance envelope.

Review the whole thread to get an idea of where this came from ...
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Eric,
What Mike said. I wouldn't be able to keep your motor attached to the plane. The setup I am using is one that I have used in fun scale, hence the carrier fun scale. I can't turn in a circle as fast as you can anyway (LOL)
John

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
I do envy you being able to go out & fly this weekend - here in Iowa todays high is forecast to be about 5 above, lows tonight about -10.  My activity will be restricted to the shop all week.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
Mike,

yes we get some cold days, but our average this time of year is 43. Of course with an electric motor you can fly in cold weather, they start easily enough. We are also lucky to have a heated house trailer on our site to warm up in. There are a lot of advantages to living in the DC area if you have US government connections. We fly at the Goddard Space Center. Good luck with your ACE kit.

john

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
Not worried about getting the motor started - worried about keeping the body running.   y1
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
Mike,
should have kept my mouth shut. after bragging about our weather we were hit with the 20's and wind. only suppose to be a few days though.

I've replaces my gear with real 3/32 music wire, maybe next week for a flight.

john

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has had a chance to fly anything yet -- here is the little Ace "Simple Series" foam wing Corsair. It is nearly ready to fly, when we get some cooperation from the weather.  Used the '3536-1450' class motor and it will use 3s, 1800 nanotechs.  I had to do a bit of re-engineering along the way, as this plane was designed around the ThunderTiger .07 engine and some of it would not stand up to the stresses of a 300 watt motor.  I've always wanted to do the color scheme of the 'Olathe Corsair' and this seemed a good candidate.  It will have an RC throttle.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
I am ready but when the weather was good I was busy and when I had time the weather was bad. Hope to get out either Mon or Tues.
I am using a 480 - 1020Kv motor and 3s 1300mah. I am wired for reverse but only have 9x6 pushers on hand so I'll be a bit under proped. Should fly OK though.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
Well I got it in the air today. It is a lot faster with the motor setup than I though it would be. I didn't get any times because I was alone. One problem, I was on grass and when it landed the grass stopped the plane quickly and loosened the motor mount. I have had this problem before on all foam models, but not on the first flight. I think I can solve the problem. Overall I think it will be a fun plane, but probably won't have a very long life span. The kind of foam is the white expanded type, light but not strong. The ones I make out of pink foam hold up very well.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
We are still waiting for something approaching 'flyable' weather - I've got two planes that need some paint squirted on them, but it hasn't been warm enough to go out to the garage and do that, much less get rid of any of our snow cover.  It is supposed to be in the mid 40's all weekend though.

I did some strengthening on the Ace kit, that should make it quite a bit tougher than a foamy, and I expect that it will have the capability of going pretty quick if set up right.  I see it as an intro model for flying with a throttle, to see if I can drum up a couple new competitors.

I still need to scare up a couple of batteries for it - right now all I have in 3s are some sport-type (Zippy) 3s-2200's.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Mike,
Today was perfect, about 50, winds steady and mild, eat your heart out. Tomorrow some snow they say, but I am far enough east that it probably will be mostly rain.

The other plane I flew today was my "15" size foamie. Great practice plane on 3s, goes like a bat out of H---- on 4s. Best hanging 15 I have ever built, has about 230 sq inches.
John

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
F4U flying update. Had the foamie out today. The motor mount fix seems to work OK, I simply added dowels through the mount into the foam and liberally applied epoxy.

The gear continues to be an issue. The inserts are made of plastic and the gear has gotten loose. I think I'll replace them with standard wood gear blocks.
Otherwise a decent flying plane. Plenty of power for "Sport Carrier" with the 480. The 480 is roughly equivalent to a glow 15. Maybe I should call it class I/3

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
We are still getting enough snow to trigger storm watches .... :(

Last year, we were in the '80's by the middle of March.    Can't do anything but wait it out and
work on other things.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
I have been having a ball with my ARF corsair. It flys very well on 52 foot lines, but is a bit light for 60's.

These light weight foamies require some mods to make the work for carrier and even then you need to fly gently. Two must do mods are the motor mounting area, a good firewall must be installed. I put in a plywood plate with dowels going into the foam to help hold it in place, The other major area is the gear. the mounting blocks need to be replaced as do the gear struts. They are much to weak for CL.

I just read an article that I will try on my next one. Cover the entire airframe with  light weight glass cloth and thinned epoxy. This show strengthen everything. It would also add some weight which would help in windy weather.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
I've had the little Ace Corsair out a couple of times - I have found the same as you - that it needs purpose built landing gear.  The motor mount in this kit was plenty adequate for an electric setup.

I had just inset a couple of 1/8th ply landing gear mounting pads into the foam (there isn't much wood in the wing anyway) and promptly knocked them off when my attention strayed a bit.

I am using the 2.4 gHz handle that I showed in the 'handle conversion thread' and at first, I tried it holding it in my left hand like a pistol grip transmitter, while flying with a regular 2-line handle.  Didn't care much for that mode of operation, so I am just using the radio handle as originally intended now.

I hope to get some more time on this setup and I'd like to see a few others try this as a fun thing to fly.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here