News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full Fuse in .15 Carrier?  (Read 549 times)

Joe Just

• Trade Count: (0)
Full Fuse in .15 Carrier?
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:50:39 AM »
I dont wish to start a big fuss here, but I have run into a one man buzz saw here in the NW when I noted that I don't think a full bodied plane be allowed entry into the .15 Carrier Competition.  Your thoughts, but be gentle.

Joe Just

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Full Fuse in .15 Carrier?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
15 carrier rules state that the event is a modification of PROFILE carrier. You didn't make the rules, so nobody should give you a hard time about enforcing them. A full fuselage 15 could fly in Class I with appropriate size lines, but would be subject to "official" scoring, bonus points, legal sliders, etc...

Compared to what you (we) have been in the middle of before, this one should be a stroll in the park! ;)

Bill

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
Yep, tell the guy to go read the rules.  Then when done read them again.    S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Joe Just

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Thanks guys!  However the problem is that we dont use the "Denver Rules" but have a seperate set for .15 called NW .15 Carrier that does not reflect the profile mention in the Denver rules.  I have been receiving a bunch of negative thoughts about this when I decided as the Carrier ED to use the Denver rules in a contest in Portland in April. Right now I go outside of the strictly NW forum for opinions.
joe

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »
     As Bill says 15 carrier is a very simple event roughly based on the AMA Profile Carrier event. It has become a very competitive event among the serious competitors in carrier and along with that the planes (some of them) are very purpose built just to win. In actual competition I have found that the winner of the event is the guy that practises the most with the plane that he will be flying in the contest. As far as someone wanting to enter a full fuselage 15 carrier plane, the "Denver" rules are clear that only profile planes will be allowed. So that is it.
     NOW as far as the NW rule is concerned their 15 rule is not the "Denver" rule and for some reason it doesn't mention "profile" anywhere so as far as I can see you could enter a full bodied plane but for the life of me I don't see why you would want to. Joe chose to use the "Denver" rule at the contest that he will ED and it was printed on the flier so now we need to live with it, just like we as competitor's do when ever we go to a contest to compete.  Eric

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »
As the ED you are free to use whatever rules you see fit - of course, you must balance that decision on whatever factors are most important to you.  First off, are you changing horses in mid-stream, here - has the contest previously run under the NW rules or is this a newly added event?  Would changing the rules now alienate or shut out a significant portion of your previous entry?

If this is a new event, is the complaining coming from one or more who actually have a model that would be locked out?  If there is no impact on REAL hardware (as opposed to 'What if ... ' hardware), then perhaps setting the rules to "Denver rules" would make it more attractive to those who already have .15's flying.  One other consideration is that you might intend to submit scores for "Top 20" purposes - so you might have to either omit those that don't comply with NCS rules, similar to the way the 10 point bonus for Brodak planes is subtracted (if it was given) from scores from Brodak.

MY goal as ED is to keep the deck busy, first and foremost.  So finding whatever means to maximize the entries comes first.  If I start getting complaints from my regular contestants, I give their input more weight than I give to questions from "maybe" contestants.  My own example is in our .15 event we have a statement that "cross flow" .19's are allowed.  This goes back to some local contests that have been flying .15 since it was invented.  We have NEVER had anyone enter a .19 powered plane that I can remember (though I did build one around an Enya .19 - just never entered it in a contest), but I have kept the rule in our contest "just in case".  If someone were to actually enter one, I would probably not submit that score to NCS for the Top 20, but I would still keep the statement in future contests.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
     Well said Mike.  Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here