News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FM June 1953 cover art  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FM June 1953 cover art
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »
Just a whimsical moment...

The USS Smallfry, CVM1 in action.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:48:18 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: FM June 1953 cover art
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »
Just look at that Skyraider, what a wonderful sight!
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
Here is another installment of U.S.S. Smallfry in action.  Flying Models, Jun 57.

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
nice w. got any more pic. of it ? H^^ MAN I WAS 4 yrs old.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
Beautiful views of what CL Carrier used to be: realism!  This was long before the advent of line sliders, prop-hanging, and quasi-scale MO-1 racers.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »
Here is another installment of U.S.S. Smallfry in action.  Flying Models, Jun 57.

Keith,

I would guess the Randall's were active at that time.

Neat!

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
Apparently so.  Anyone remember the "Deer Park Carrier Team"?  Scale models, flown realistically.

I once nearly became involved with Carrier...

then someone invented line sliders and "hovering".

Pretty much killed THAT idea....

...and (some would say) the event.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Joe Just

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:02 AM »
After leaving the presidency of the NCS in 1996 I have been privileged and sometimes burdened with complaints about 60 degree flying, line sliders etc, etc.  Well, any forum will show that there is a high dislike for that type of carrier flying.  Perhaps it is time to do something other than complain. Is it time for a big change,return to older rules, accept nostalgia carrier as a worthy substitute?  How does one go about the idea of change? Well, instead of writting negative threads one might consider a forum like this and others to make those changes with positive suggestions.

Right now despite the negative reporting, carrier is showing some new interest in the hobby.  I have sent out over 50 copies of articles and ideas I have promoted.  If no one has brought it to your attention there is a new Postal Carrier Contest that was mildly successful in 09 and will continue through 2010. the contest opens a venue for the isolated carrier wannabee.  There has been a run of .25 size ARF carrier trainers built and shipped, with another run of a .15 size trainer nearing completion.(see attahment) Also there is no available a new type of 3-line handle for the beginner, along with a new type of 3-line bellcrank that is way cheaper in cost than the excellent Brodak line (John by the way is aware of this)  4 sets of trainers have been shipped to 4 seperate clubs here and in Canada to promote carrier as a fun event at no cost to the clubs other than postage.  Come on guys lets work together to get the carrier event back on track.

Lets all set aside personal ambition now and rebuild interest in NAVY CARRIER,even if we have to make a new omelet.

Joe Just

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »
Keith,

I would guess the Randall's were active at that time.

Neat!

Bob

The Randal Tigercat was published in the 62 American Modeler Annual and according to the article, versions of it had been flying for 8 years.  It had a thin wing, sort of a skinny fuselage. According to a Bill Dean drawing in the July 1961 American Modeler, it was powered by two Johnson .35 engines.  The outboard tank was small so that the engine ran out of fuel before the low speed run.  Seperate lines (.006 diameter) and bellcrank were used with a small belcrank in the left hand to control the speed of the inboard engine.  I think this design resulted in the rules that both engines were required to be running during the low speed run..

Fairly small with a 32 inch span which is smaller than the Tigercat that Capitenelli entered in the recent 1/2A multi-engine profile scale contest here in Tucson two weeks ago.

Keith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:48:42 PM »
The Randall Tigercat is a challenging model.

The pic shows Ray launching Virginia's winning flight at the 1959 Los Alamitos NAS Nationals.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
NOW HEAR THIS, NOW HEAR THIS:

For about ten years or so NOSTALGIA CARRIER has been alive and well, featured at the Nats and other places. No sliders. No prop-hanging. McCoy Redheads and Rossis welcomed!

Dick Perry championed this event much as Mike Keville championed the VSC for stunt. So build a Guardian, Tigercat or something, fire up that high revin' mill (don't be like the guys on the magazine covers, wear hearing protection) and show us some real carrier flying!

dg

PS- Don't bother trying to tell me what's wrong with Carrier, I didn't wear hearing protection as a teenager and the stereo tinitus I enjoy drowns out negative vibes.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here