News:

• April 30, 2024, 02:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Finally!
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »
Well guys, I have almost finished the repairs to the Dumas profile carrier plane I was given.  It has an early, big case, Magnum 36 on it right now (it didn't really work out for stunt, haha) and I have to paint it and make up a set of lines.  Then I will be ready to go as far as learning to use the three line set up.

I understand the plane is not "legal" for anything contest wise, but it was complete and free (although well worn!).  it will be a good "learning tool"!  After over 40 years of flying C/L I have never flown a three line set up!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
What do you mean "not legal"? 

You could at least enter Class I and take your licks on scale points, or why not Profile Carrier?

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »
What do you mean "not legal"? 

You could at least enter Class I and take your licks on scale points, or why not Profile Carrier?

I guess it could be entered in Class I (didn't think about that), but I understand it is too small for Profile. (??)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
Measure your wing area.  Must be minimum of 300 square inches.   My son and competed with the Dumas kits for several years even tho they were heavy.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:26:47 AM »
If the area is under 300 sq in, consider adding area to the trailing edge -- either as fixed or movable flap.  Either could be done without having to recover the wing.

Randy

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:39:41 AM »
If you're talking about a Dumas Corsair, I've been there.  Like they say, heavy.  I rescued mine from Camp Gaylor and sport-flew it for a few years.  I thought it had at least 300 squares.

I did add area to mine, in the form of stunt-rigged flaps.

In the modern speed limit carrier events you might have a chance.  It'll never do 90, but it might go 70 or 75.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:11:35 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »
You know we talk about the Dumas kits being heavy, but, they did come well under the max weight allowed.   It was also fun and interesting to see guys hang weights on their planes to bring them up to almost max weight.  Depended on calm or windy weather.  Would love to have those kits again.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »
If the area is under 300 sq in, consider adding area to the trailing edge -- either as fixed or movable flap.  Either could be done without having to recover the wing.

Randy

Hi Randy,

The wing had to be recovered anyway when I got it.  The plane needed a good bit of repair, but not so much that it wasn't worth it (it was free) and it looks a lot better now.  Plus it is at least as strong as it was new. 

I found an old "big case" Magnum 36 to go on it, and I need to finish the painting now to be ready!  I will go with it like it is to learn three line with and build a new plane later on.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here