News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Carrier II  (Read 3592 times)

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Electric Carrier II
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »
     OK Bob you got me on the hook now play me for awhile. How come I have to have a ESC and timer in this plane? Why cant I just use a big batt., big motor, and the switch and potentiometer between the two?
     I started a new thread because I'm on a dial up and it takes 3 or 4 min. to bring the otherthread up. eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Electric Carrier II
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »
Eric
My name is not Bob but I will start an answer for your questions.

ESC converts the DC battery voltage to three phase AC voltage to power the outrunner motor.  In place of a timer, which works for stunt, use a single channel servo control to input the throttle signal to the input of the ESC.

A problem if you used a DC motor, would be the amount of current the potentiometer would have to carry and heat it would have to dissipate.

I call my single channel servo control "U/Tronics".

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »
     Thanks Clancy for jumping in here and now I know a little more about the ESC, DC to AC. Now about your controller. Is it the one that is a rotary device that I can hook up to my 3-line bell-crank too for speed control? And if I remember right there 2, one a 10 and the other is 60 or 70? eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »
Eric,

Here's the way I was taught/learned. To get the best motor these days you have to use a brushless motor. They don't work on DC but an AC signal. It needs a controller to make the motor work. The ESC does that along with adjusting the speed. The ESC in RC models gets a signal from the reciever. Clancy's unit acts like a signal from a reciever as far as the ESC is concerned, you just need to modulate the signal to the ESC to control speed. Clancy's unit does that.

You only need one potentiometer. It varies the signal out of Clancy's unit. The pot changes the pulse width of the signal to the ESC. The input to the U-tronics goes from 0 ohms to 10K ohms. I use a 50 k pot since the full 0 to 50K is about one full turn. The bellcrank only has a limited throw so the 0 to 10 K ohms ends up being about 60 degrees of travel, just what the 3 line bellcrank can do. So think of the arm on the pot as the same thing as the arm on the carb. The rest is pretty simple electrical connections. Battery to speed control (2 wires), Utronics to ESC (2 wires), pot to Utronics (2 wires) and ESC to motor (3 wires). The only  other thing to add is an arming plug in one of the battery wires (this is easier and smaller than a switch since you would need a switch that can carry the 40 or 50 (or more) amps to the motor. This would have to be a big switch. The arming plug is just a simple plug that can carry that much current. It also makes it real safe on the ground since you plug in the battery, get everything ready, go out to your handle and just have the pit guy plug in the arming plug and you throttle up and he releases the plane. Nice and clean/easy. The motor can't run without the arming plug in place.

I hope that all makes sense. If you plan to attend the Phoenix contest I'll be there with my 15 Electric and you can see first hand.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:08:15 PM by bfrog »
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
After watching Pete Mazur's E-carrier Skyray throw the prop during a power blip, I realized that there are some issues in electric motor control (especially the carrier type) that aren''t obvious in stunt or RC.
One thing is that with the trigger control of a 3 line leadout, you can really ramp the power up FAST in an electric motor. This is different in the IC carrier plane, because---I think---the IC engine can't accelerate itself that fast between a low and high throttle setting. However if you slam the throttle setting on an electric setup, boy--watch out. Remember the torque the motor develops is directly related to rpm and voltage supplied. At low throttle settings (low rpms), the back EMF from the motor is pretty low. When the throttle is slammed open, you effective increase the applied voltage (and current) to the motor. This can provide an incredible torque increase. Now if you have a light wood prop on the motor, the motor can probably accelerate the prop to a high rpm relatively easy, since its moment of inertia (aka flywheel effect) isn't too large. However a thick APC prop represents a much bigger flywheel, so it will accelerate more slowly, allowing the torque (and current in the motor) to get pretty big. In the case of Pete's setup, the torque is transfered to the motor by an aluminum collet assembly. I am not convinced that it is really up the the job. When we examined the motor shaft after the prop/collet assembly parted company, you could see aluminum "blobs" on the steel shaft, so my guess is that the collet really isn't good enough for this application. I was also wondering if the collet slippping on the motor shaft was the source of some of that strange "squeal" Pete's setup gave off during the low speed throttle jockeying. I think Pete said that noise only occured with the APC prop and not wooden ones. If I recall that correctly, I think the slippage of the collet on the motor shaft is an issue.
I guess you could go to a steel collet or some other means to hold the prop on the shaft, or figure out a way to slow down the extrem throttle ramps. Most ESC's may allow a time constant to be put into the controller (through software) which prevents too fast throttle changes---generally this is useful in RC helicopters--to prevent stripping the gears.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »
Alan,

Very interesting comments. The E carrier plane I fly is  a 15 sized but the motor is not that different from Pete's (its a step or two down the ladder but is still an AXI). I have not had any of the squealing, growling or slipping? that Pete experienced. When he flew it in Muncie at the Nats he was still getting that harmonic or whatever on the APC. It was a pronounce growl at a certain speed that was very odd. I'm not sure what size prop he was using but I believe it was around an 11X6 or maybe 12X6. I am using an 11X7 on my motor and it does seem pretty big. I flew the plane last weekend and had two good flights. As  I think back on the flights I don't think I ever really "slammed" the throttle open during low speed. I did have to give it some substantial power bursts a couple of times to get out of trouble but I don't think I ever pushed it too hard. I also use the aluminum collet adapter for the prop. I'm not real pleased with it but its what I have, a steel version would be nice but then you run the risk that if it slips it could gall and weld itself onto the shaft. I did destroy one collet but not in the air, the thread snapped when I was installing a new prop. You have to torque them pretty good to get them to grab. I can see where your idea that collet might spin on the motor shaft is really possible, if you don't have it cranked down tight.

One other point of information is that Pete now has a data logger on his plane and has flown it a few times to gather data. I have seen a couple of the the graphs from the output and don't remember seeing any huge spikes during throttle up. In fact its surprising how little voltage is used during low speed flight. As I recall it was about half voltage with some increases here and there as he needed to keep it hanging.

At any rate your comments are interesting and as I fly my plane more I will keep an eye/ear out for anything unusual as the power is applied. Its worth some attention.
Bob Frogner

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »
Hi Bob, enjoy reading about your E-flight experiences in carrier.  This post about the collet slippage.  Isn't it possible to grind a flat on the shaft for the set screw to tighten down on?  I would think it would not upset the balance of the shaft that much.  I do it on wheel collars to keep them on.  I even had some that were loose, but, stayed with the axle until I cinched them down again.  My thought for collet slippage.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »
Hi Bob, enjoy reading about your E-flight experiences in carrier.  This post about the collet slippage.  Isn't it possible to grind a flat on the shaft for the set screw to tighten down on?  I would think it would not upset the balance of the shaft that much.  I do it on wheel collars to keep them on.  I even had some that were loose, but, stayed with the axle until I cinched them down again.  My thought for collet slippage.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

Doc -

The issue is that there is no set screw - The collet is a tapered OD collet with a tapered ID ring around it.
If you remember the prop drivers on old Supertigre .35's, some Foxes, etc., you'll have the picture.

The only way to get the tapered collet to hang on tighter, is to tighten the prop down more.  But since the prop shaft is aluminum, you risk stripping the threads before you actually get it tight enough.  Or, as happened to Bob, you simply twist off the whole shaft.

Allen's observation that the ability to go from zero RPM to max RPM in a short amount of time is interesting, and one that I hadn't thought of.  The simple fix for THAT one issue is to use the ESC's "soft start" feature.  It is there for the purpose of saving gears in gear driven helicopters.

My own observation is that there are probably several possibilities and they all need to be addressed.  I have had the prop fly off while the motor was on a test stand.  In fact, I've ONLY had it happen while on a test stand.  So my conclusion is that part of the problem is the large step up in force that occurs when the motor is physically unable to move forward.  The nature of our usage here, kind of precludes using a slower acceleration to address the problem.

The most important issues, I feel, are related to the actual quality of the prop driver - I have bitched to one of the manufacturers that the supplied prop driver was too short (you can barely fit an APC sport prop on and have ANY threads for the nut to grab).  Their answer was to send me another prop driver which, of course, was no better than the one I got originally.  If there were more threads out the front, one could try to find a nut with more length - like the union nut that comes with some spinners.  This would spread the tightening forces over more threads and lessen the chances of stripping them.

Also, there is no way to check the parallelism in the prop-shaft hole itself.  I think most can envision that if the hole is not a uniform diameter, the contact surface us reduced.  A related issue would be the actual taper cut onto the outside of the collet and the inside of the ring.  If the taper is mismatched, you don't get uniform tightening, you get a point contact and that can lead to a prop that stays on one time and flies off the next time you mount it.

Finally, this scheme of mounting depends on the width of two (or sometimes four) slits that are cut into the collet after it is machined.  If the slit is not wide enough, you risk running out of "tightening power" before you've actually captured the motor shaft.

Then there is the issue of which aluminum alloy is used, the actual thread used, etc.  (I'm not sure machinig them from steel would be the answer, if any of the above issues are unsolved.  A thread with more surface area might be helpful, though).  Since all of the above are actually quality issues when the part is machined, I think the BEST course for we who use them is to share information on which brands of adapters have (and have NOT) been problematic and where the "good ones" are available.

Also, be very aware of this issue every  time you change the prop, and keep the area clear, just like you would with a gas engine.

Oh, one final comment.  Most motors have a prop driver that attaches to the rotating bell, and requires that you turn the motor around and mount it using the T-shaped adapter.  I can tell you from experience that this mounting has a whole different set of issues, which may or may not make that a better alternative.  In the case of the Scorpion brand, which is what I've been trying to get going, it's not an issue, because there is no way to incorporate that mount in the motors, as they come from the factory.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »
     Here are a couple pictures of my electric Bf109T in the making. I'm finding this electric thing is more challenging than I had thought it would be. While building the plane to minimum frontal area and finding the wing to shallow for the battery I'm having trouble getting the 10pds of stuff into this 5pd sack. It should turn out to be well under 50 ozs (hopefully) maybe even down around 44 ozs. I have pretty much found a place for everything except the arming plug and at this time I don't know what to use or where I'll be able to put it. I'm thinking of epoxying a female ultra plug into the fuselage behind the battery and then using the male ultra plug as the shorting plug.
     It is sure going slow and I have to remake quite a few items as I go along but hope I will pick up enough knowledge along the way so the next one will be easier. I am so looking forward to not having to clean up after flying this plane. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like your making good progress. My E profile plane is a bit behind yours. I've got the motor and ESC, a possible battery (not sure if I'm going to use 4 or 5 cells), and I have vacuum bagged some of the small parts for light weight/high strength. I'm still working out the details of where some things go. I just need to dive in and get things going.

For the arming plug the Ultra plug should work but they are pretty hard to insert and take apart. Here's a link to what I have used on the 15 plane.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/maxx_products_arming_switch_6970_5400546.htm

These work really well and are much easier to make and break. (the pit person will thank you for making his job easier and its nice to be able to easily pull the arming plug if something goes wrong) You can shorten up some of the leads if you need to make it more compact.

When I looked at the pictures it appears you have a good place for the battery, my only thought is that it's a fixed location. I like to have a bit of leeway with battery fore to aft to adjust the CG of the plane. Since the battery is by far the heaviest element in the plane it's nice to be able to shift it around a bit.

I'm jealous that you are so far along. Keep up the nice work and we'll all be anxious to know how it flies. Keep the updates coming.
Bob Frogner

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 06:59:28 AM »
I realized that there are some issues in electric motor control (especially the carrier type) that aren''t obvious in stunt or RC.
One thing is that with the trigger control of a 3 line leadout, you can really ramp the power up FAST in an electric motor.

I design motor controllers for large AC motors 1-200hp, and most controllers have some rate limiting or the speed command that can be set to prevent the shock torque loads.  Some have torque feedback to keep the torque under control.  I have seen large (20hp) motors snap output shafts (cheap motor). 

A motor of this type can generate well over 100% of its rated torque at low speeds.  This is a function of the controller.  However things like loose couplers can still cause problems. 

I would suggest that you see if your ESC has a setting for S curve or rate limiting.  I would be suprised if it wasn't part of the ESC's program.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:35:40 AM »
     Thanks for putting me on to the arming switch, it sure looks like just what I am looking for. The box over the wing gives me about 12 ozs of battery in front of my CG on this plane. Also the box is made a little long just so I can move it back if its nose heavy. If it turns out to be tail heavy I'm a little screwed, OR I could put a bigger motor in the front. My motto for carrier planes is that whats up front that counts and the more power the better. Mike Potter offered to make me some real light weight tail feathers for this plane but I'm thinking I'll wait until I gain a little more knowledge on this electric stuff before I go full house. I do know that lots of HP and little weight spells good performance in carrier.
     Hi Alan, I see your message over and over, more and more, and I get the message but dont have to many ideas on how to handle it. In carrier we use a variable resister to control changes in power and I'm hoping that I will be able to control the motor ok with it. I've read the instructions for my ESC about a dozen times and I think it might have a delay of some kind that can be programed into it. In carrier smooth and gentle handling of the throttle is very important in the low speed portion of the flight so I'm hoping that the variable resister does the trick. I will keep posting to this forum and keep everyone up to speed on how this project turns out. The feed back I get is invaluable to me and this plane. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »
Eric,

The comments about the speed control and smooth functioning is important. I only have experience with the smaller 15 sized motor. I did have to make the arm longer than I had originally planned because the motor would ramp up faster than I wanted it to. With the longer arm on the pot I was able to spread stretch the throw to where it works quite well. On a bigger motor the torque could be a problem however Pete Mazur is running a slightly bigger motor than my 15 sized motor on his Skyray and does not seem to have any problems in low speed with torque when he adds power. The bigger the prop the more this will be an issue but I don't think we will be using props too much larger than what Pete has already tried. I am using a 10X7 on my 15 and I think Pete is using an 11" prop  on his Skyray. I am guessing (and I do mean guessing because I don't know what motor you are using) but I wouldn't think you will be much large than an 11 or 12" prop on your plane. It depends on the characteristics of the motor, whether your using 4 or 5 cells and also the pitch of the prop. Testing is really the only way I know of to get it right.

I don't know if you have thought of using a datalogger or not. Pete has an Eagle Tree (I think) data logger that is really nifty. It's very light weight and pretty small. When hooked up to a computer after a flight it gives all sorts of information on the performance of the motor. Current, rpm, voltage and temperature (if you add the temp sensor). Puts out nice graphs to show how the entire flight went. I don't have one yet but may budget for one next year. I think they are around $100 or so. Since we are all fairly new to this electric stuff it adds a lot of information to our experience. Just a thought.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
The Eagletree loggers are nice, I use one on my e-stunters, and in the long run I expect it to save some money by not runnning some lipo's or motor's to extinction.
If you add the LCD display to the datalogger, then you have the equivalent of a real-time "watt-meter"---you can see the amp draw and rpm on the ground. Since a wattmeter is on the order of ~$50, it isn't that bad.
In any case it is important to have some way of measuring currents and volts on these systems, because a meltdown could cost big bucks.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »
     I'm very concerned about the throttle throw on the SLIDER equipped carrier planes. So far I don't think anyone has built a slider type E-carrier plane. My experience with fixed lead outs (.15 carrier, and Skyray 35 carrier) as compared to leadouts with a slider tells me that the slider equipped plane will only have half the throttle throw that the fixed planes have. In other words the throttle will be twice as sensitive in the slider planes as it is in the fixed planes. This could present a big problem. I know Pete uses a catch wire on one of the elevator control lines of his slider equipped planes to keep the control handle neutral after the slider is released but don't know if it has any affect on his throttle throw or not?
     I have read several forum entry's on the data loggers and find it quite interesting. Do you know of any detailed information on these units that a person can find on the web. I'm pretty sure carrier flying will be a real test to the componets of e-planes. I have a BIG draw back in that my experience with electricity consist of turning on and off light bulbs in my home. oh well, eric

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »
Here is a link to the one I have (and the one Pete has).
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm
What is useful for carrier would be the Micrologger ($69.99) and add the brushless rpm sensor ($14.99) and the Micro temperature sensor $9.99. The micro-logger itself measures the battery current and voltage and the two sensors plug into it to add that feature. I bought the one with the integrated connectors and just plug my battery and ESC into the Micrologger. Like I said, the LCD display ($39.99) is nice--but pricey-- because it will display the real-time values if you run the setup statically on the ground (but be careful---the static run can really pull the amps and can harm the motor and battery if run for too long and if the amps are higher than what the motor and battery can sustain. If you mount it on the plane, it will record the maximum and minimum values of things during the flight---maybe good when you are at the field.
You do need a Window's PC (only negative thing I've got to say about it!) to readout the stored data. To see what you get, go and look at some of my posts in the electric forum on my E-Nobler, or my review on the Super Clown in the review forum (to get an idea of what you can do with it).
I of course added the altimeter and airspeed indicator, because I am curious what my stunter is doing during the maneuvers. I don't think they are particularly useful to carrier since the flying is basically fast and slow, and the stop watch will give you better precision.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »
Two comments (this is really getting interesting and I'm enjoying all the other input, it helps us all out, thanks to all).

I use a small capture wire on my down line, the rearmost line for my setup, on my profile plane. It limits how far back the downline can go when the slider moves aft. That way the handle stays close to nuetral after the slider trips. It works very well and is very simple. I have never had a problem with throttle throw at low speed. That doesn't mean that it won't be problem on the E planes because I have never really checked the throw at high and low, I just know it works ok in both positions of the slider. The keeper wire I added is just a small length of old .018 flying line with a brass eyelet at the end. I attach it with a staple to the spar in the wing. I had to adjust the length some til I got it right and it just holds the rear most line from going straight to the leadout guide, adding some length so I don't get full down. (if that isn't clear enough let me know and I'll take a picture for posting).

I second what Alan said about running on the ground too long. Pete found that the motor unloads about 10 to 20% in the air. That's significant. On the ground you will pull more current and its seems for carrier we are pushing the envelope as it is. I know Pete tries to launch as quickly as possible, both for saving battery and not letting things draw too much on the ground and get hot. One other thing Pete found was that the current measured by the data logger was different than what he measured with a shunt by about 10% (on the ground in both cases). He seemed to trust the shunt more than the datalogger since the shunt is a passive element. I don't know what Alan's experience is but I am a little skeptical that the datalogger was calibrated or that it measures 100% accurately. Something to keep in mind.

Last thought, Eric your right, we are pushing the electrics pretty hard along with drawing a lot out of the batteries. The more we know the better. Alan's comment about spending the money for the datalogger saving $ in the long run it probably a no brainer. One toasted $150 battery or $100 motor more than pays for the data collection system.
Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
I agree with Pete---my datalogger reads about 10% too high compared to a wattmeter and a high quality DC clamp-on meter. On the other hand, 10% won't burnup a motor.
I don't know whether the new model V3 out is more accurate than my V2. It uses a Hall Effect probe rather than a shunt, but I am not sure if my V2 uses the same or not. Need to find my original Advertisement blurb.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »
     Played around with the 3-line bellcrank last night and found out that if I used the trap wire on the rear line I almost doubled the throttle throw when the lines were in the LS position. To think I've been in this business of carrier planes for the last 12 years or so and had learned to put up with just 5/8ths'' throw on the throttle push rod when the lines were in the LS position. Course with the fuel engines I only needed 5/8ths'' to make it work. So now I get more throttle throw (needed for electric motors) and I also have a neutral control handle in HS and LS which I had never had.
     Now I have another question about the variable resister (the rotary 50 ohm. one that we use with Clancy's U-Tronics unit). I have looked at the pictures of Bob's .15 ship and see his mounted on the front inside quarter section of the fuselage with the throttle arm coming from the 3-line bellcrank. Because some pilots favor the pull for speed and others like the push for speed I dint know which way the resister arm should move for throttle ''UP''. If we use Bob's .15 plane as an example I'm looking at the resister and the throttle lever arm is nearest to me and the three connector tabs are on the top of the resister. The throttle arm is below the resister and moves back and forth left to right by the throttle rod that comes from the 3-line bellcrank. Now as I dint know whether Bob ''pulls for speed'' or ''pushes for speed'' so can't tell the orientation of the variable part of the resister. Hope your still with me on this. So looking at Bob's plane when the arm moves forward does the motor increase power? I guess I should have included the picture of Bob's plane that I keep referring too but don't have it in my PC at this time but hopefully Bob will see this. eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »
Eric

To setup your three wire controls:

Set up the three line bellcrank and the control arm on the 50,000 (50 K) ohm pot so that the resistance from one end terminal to the center terminal of the pot measures from zero to 10 K ohms as you vary the three line bellcrank.  Now you have the correct throttle range. 

If you want to reverse the three line bellcrank from "pull' to "push". 

Unsolder and move the wire from one end terminal to the other end terminal on the pot.  Then loosen the clamp holding the arm on the pot shaft and rotate the shaft to the opposite mechanical stop.  Switch the position of the three line bellcrank.  Tighten the clamp on the pot arm and verify that the resistance varies from 10 K ohm to zero as the bellcrank is moved. 

That is all that is required to reverse the throw on the three line system from "Push" to "Pull".

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »
Eric,

I use pull the trigger for high speed system. In the picture you are looking at that means that the throttle arm on the bellcrank goes backwards when I want high speed, and obviously the arm on the pot also goes backward. I have a stop on the pot that limits it to the maximum 10K ohms (I just put an angled piece of aluminum attached under the nut that holds the pot to its mounting bracket). I attached another picture to this post to make it easier to see.

Clancy's explaination is about the pot itself. You can make it work either way depending on which leads you solder the two wires to, usually center and one of the outside lugs. You just have to limit the travel so you don't go over 10K ohms resistance.
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
     Made a little more headway. I found out that putting the bellcrank on the outside wing (like behind the tank) didn't work so good on the e-plane. I built a location in the inboard at the root to hold the ESC, u-tronics unit, and all the plugs and wires that go with these e-plane. Much to my dismay I had led the wires from the battery down through a whole on the inside wing at the fuselage. Well was real happy with myself until I noticed these wires were located right where the lines move back and forth with the line slider,whoops.
     Next time the bellcrank will be on the inside wing and the plane will be lighter and much simpler. Wight at this time is 37ozs so after its covered and the hook and push-rod are on it I still hope it comes in at 44ozs.
     I'm still jerking this pot or variable resister around in my brain (slow learner). When I put my meter on the pot at RX 1, I can get a reading of 0 to 10 ohms of HR short. Switch one lead and it reverses. Well and good? My question now is when the meter shows the 10 ohm short, is it at the full power point. Or is the idle at the 10 ohm point and the full power setting is at 0 on the meter. What happens if it goes over 10k ohms resistance.
     Went to my local Radio Shack and bought another 50 ohm variable resister just to play with and its either shorted or shows nothing when I move the arm? I've attached a couple new pictures. I sure like the lines of these 109Ts. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 10:27:50 PM »
Eric,

I'm not sure what you mean here:

When I put my meter on the pot at RX 1, I can get a reading of 0 to 10 ohms of HR short. Switch one lead and it reverses.

I don't understand what HR short means.

You want 0 to 10 K ohms for the full range. Low speed is 0 ohms, high speed is 10K ohms.

The center of the three lugs on the pot should be the wiper or moveable contact in the pot. The two outside lugs are the two end points (fixed). So you should use the middle and one of the two end lugs. Think of the pot as a long coil of wire with a lead at each end and the "wiper" is the middle wire. as you move the wiper it contacts the coil at different points making the electrical path either longer or shorter. Does that help?

The plane is looking good. I need to get back to the workshop and get mine moving along.

If you go above 10 K ohms you can over drive the ESC and that is not good ( a little bit won't hurt but too much will not be good for the ESC).
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
     Your not sure what I mean? Well partner that makes two of us. If its any conselation your comments helped a whole lot and I'm back to building. As far as throw goes on the pot if I measure from the center of the pot shaft to the center of the rod that comes from the bellcrank it is 7/8Th's'' and I think if I wanted too, I could go out to 1''. Looking at your pictures of you .15 ship it looks like mine is no different from yours.
     I'm trying to figure out how I can charge the li-po I got and not burn down my house. Right how we are at 19 to 43 degrees and I keep seeing this thing about don't try to charge the li-po in cold weather. Does that rule out my back yard? I got one of those thunder power TP-1010C chargers and the Smart Balancer THP-210V. Boy the instructions for the charger are pretty marginal as far as the novice goes. For the price you would think they would include a hard cover booklet. AND was I surprised to find that I would need a deep sink batt. just to run the charger. Maybe thats to discurage people from charging them in there homes.
     Its all quite different from adding fuel attaching the glow driver and off you go (well most of the time). eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
Eric
Looking at your comments about your meter having a resistance range of R-1 (0 to 10 ohms).  You need to set it for a range of R-10,000 (0 to 10,000 ohms). 

I do not know which brand or model you are using but it should have the capability of measuring 10,000 ohms.

The rotary pot that Bob and everyone else is using with my U/Tronics Control is a 50,000 (50 K) ohm linear taper rotary pot.

Eric, if you have questions about your meter send me an Email.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 10:45:43 PM »

I'm still jerking this pot or variable resister around in my brain (slow learner). When I put my meter on the pot at RX 1, I can get a reading of 0 to 10 ohms of HR short. Switch one lead and it reverses. Well and good? My question now is when the meter shows the 10 ohm short, is it at the full power point. Or is the idle at the 10 ohm point and the full power setting is at 0 on the meter. What happens if it goes over 10k ohms resistance.

Probably neither - with Clancy's unit and a 50K Ohm pot - the "low throttle" position will read somewhere around 2K (2000 ohm).  My unit actually reads 2.7k.  At "high throttle" mine read about 9.0 k.  This will all
be dependent on your own equipments actual component values.  Pots and standard resistors can vary by as much as 5%, just as they come from the shelf.  My pot is a 50K pot - it actually read 41.5k with my meter.  That is a huge tolerance difference - about 20%.  It works the best though and is the easiest one I have to actually move (takes the lowest torque).  You want to be reading these values from the center lug (of the three) to the soldered end lug.  The 50k value will be from end lug to end lug.
     Went to my local Radio Shack and bought another 50 ohm variable resister just to play with and its either shorted or shows nothing when I move the arm? I've attached a couple new pictures. I sure like the lines of these 109Ts. eric

I hope you meant 50K ohm (50000 ohms), not 50 ohm.  If you bought a 50ohm pot, you should NOT see much change with a digital meter, especially if you are set on the 2K or higher scale.  You also will not get any response from the U-tronics unit or the ESC.

Nice pics, too.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:59 AM »
     Your right Mike. Clancy e-mailed me about my error right after I made that entry. I think I might have mixed it up in a couple places. Stay tuned, it probably wont be the last time by any stretch. I'll add some more pictures as soon as something changes, I'm waiting on some ultra-coat right now.
     Ive managed to melt down two ultra plugs (female) trying to get the battery ready. Guess I'll do a little practice on something a little cheaper and then try again. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »
Eric,

If your having problems soldering to the Deans plugs maybe you are using to large of a soldering iron. I think the one I use is only about 15 watts. You just need enough heat to get the tab on the connector hot enough to melt the solder. I have a holder with two alligator clips that positions the wire and the connector tab together. Heat the tab and melt a small bit of solder on it then feed the solder between the wire and the tab. As the solder melts it should tranfer the heat to the wire and wet it. (hope that makes sense) If everything is lined up and touching it should only take a few seconds of heat at the most.

Be very carefull not to short out the battery while your doing this. It will damage the cells if you do.

You were asking about charging the lipos outside. Cold is not good so its best if you can do it in a warmer place when its really cold outside. I charge in my garage but I stay there the whole time its charging. I also have a 1 quart paint can that I use to put the battery in when its charging. I drop in the battery and just lay the lid on top with a weight on it.  (the wires just feed out under one edge so it's not really sealed) I check it often by looking inside to see if the cells look puffy and just feel the battery to see if its getting hot. I also charge a little under the rated max charge. I have also heard of people using an old BBQ with a lid to put the battery in when charging. If you charge slowly and don't try to push it too hard and the battery has not been crashed or abused there shouldn't be any problems. All the same I keep a close eye on the battery when charging. If you charge at a less aggressive rate and there is a problem with the battery it should give a warning, it will start to puff up and get hot before it explodes.
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »
     Geeeezz Bob, thanks for the information but I wish you could have refrazed the last 12 words. Before it explodes? I think I like ''bursts into flames'' a little better maybe. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Eric,

I just checked my iron, its 40 watts. That's really more than is needed. I think a 25 watt iron is plenty for soldering connectors. Use a fine point, mine is about 3/16" at the tip with a flat on one side.

Here's a couple of other soldering tips that I learned on the job many years ago.

Heat the part that has the most mass, the smaller part will pick up the heat from the larger part.
You always want to draw the solder from the coolest part to the heated part. That means heat one part and apply the solder to the part farthest away from the heat. That draws the solder to the hot side and should wet the "colder" part well.

Pre-tin both parts before you put them together. That way your just adding enough solder to fill the gap between the parts, they are already prepped and wetted. You are just reflowing the solder on the parts.

Most important is that the parts to be soldered are very clean, no oils on them. After pretinning them clean any flux left over from the pretinning off the pieces. Once any flux has burned on the part its very hard to get the solder to wet.

Use the lowest power you can. This prevents burning and charing of the flux.

Use rosin core solder if you can. Acid core will solder well but can corrode over time if it is not completely cleaned. Rosin fluxes are inert at room temperature and should not corrode. Most of the soldering for electrics is copper to copper and acid fluxes should not be necessary.

Lastly, use 63/37 or 60/40 solder. This is the best flowing and lowest melt temp solder. Use small diameter wire solder with a rosin core flux. You can also get a small container of the rosin flux and use it to pre-coat the parts before soldering. Just don't over heat the parts and burn the flux on to them.

This is all basic soldering technique. I don't mean to insult your intellegence if you already know them but thought others might be able to use this info too.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 12:45:57 PM »
Bob
Thanks for the soldering procedures.  I have been in electronics for over 50 years and you reminded ME of some steps I have forgotten to do.

Knew better in my younger days.

I use a heat controlled soldering iron.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »
     So close yet so far. I should have started over on this plane when I discovered that I had made a mistake when I put the bellcrank on the outside wing. If I had put it on the inside wing I could slap the decals on it, epoxy the wing and tail to the plane and wait until MAy when the weather starts to warm up and then go flying. As it is if you look at where the wires from the battery go into the the wing you are also looking at where the lines come through the fuselage and go out to the slider. So it seems I can either hook up the lines to the plane OR I can hook up the battery to the ESC ''BUT'' I cant do both? I knew I was in trouble but figured I could work around it, heck I still think I can work around it but will probably have more exposed wires than I had wanted. Oh well like so many time when I finish a plane I'm already thinking of how much better the next one will be.
     This plane is coming in a little heavier than I had planned (so what else is new) at 45oz as it is now and I expect it to go up another 2oz before its out the door. Also I'm beginning to doubt my wisdom on mounting the battery like I have. Its hard to install and worse to get back off which is poor planning as far as e-planes are concerned. Like I say that next one is going to so much better. eric

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
     With the exception of the control lines and a fairing on the nose above the motor this is the finished product. I will only build the nose fairing if it flys OK, and the lines will have to wait until the NV weather warms up a bit (another 40 degrees would be nice) so I can build them on my back yard fence. It weighs 46oz's the way it is now which I think may be a little to heavy  but hopfully I will be proven wrong.
     Now its on to building a test stand for the motor/battery/ECS, and U-Tronics controller. I saw a picture along with information on how to build one in one of the forums here in Stunt Hanger.
     There were some real trade offs with this plane in the placement of the battery and also the bellcrank which made it hard to hide the spaghetti wire and control units. With the knowledge I've gained with this plane my next one will be a nice big blue F6F Hellcat. I have never built one because they seemed to me to have to much frontal area for the high speed portion of the AMA profile event. My feelings about e-carrier is that it should be a stand alone event and probably have a speed limit on HS. It would be much easier to build WW II American carrier planes to a speed limit event as they all used radial engines and had lots of frontal area. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
Eric,

Nice looking plane!!! I'm really anxious to hear how it flies. I don't think 46 oz sounds too bad. When you think of  a regular profile at 40 oz and add 6 oz of fuel your right there. Hiding the wires is a problem. On my little 15 they just hang out all over the place. I also didn't cut them short since I wasn't sure how the whole thing would work. Now we just need to get some of these large electrics in the air and see how they perform. I haven't made much progress on mine, I've been working on some other projects for a  New Years Day fun fly. Hopefully in January I'll get moving on the 36 profile electric.

You might have a good idea about a speed limit type event for electrics. After we get some planes up and flying and see how they do it could be the right way to go. We really do need to get some experience and see how everything shakes out to really determine the best direction. I hope there are others building this winter too. Maybe we can show  off some electrics at the Woodland event in the Spring.

Let us all know when you get a flight in.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »
    Made myself this test stand to see if any of this stuff was going to work, and it does seem to work. I saw a stand like this in one of the Stunt Hanger forums and coppied it.
     As connected it worked right off the bat so I found out the circuitry was OK and the variable resistor does just what it should. I don't think its a very good way to measure performance. On my static measurements I was able to record 12.3k with a Graupner 9/7P with soft timing and bumped it up to 12.4k when I switched to hard timing. I then tried a Graupner 11/8P and got a rpm of 10.8k. I kind of think these are pretty dismal figures for a carrier plane. I charged the battery up to 4.1 volts from a starting figure of 3.6 volts and retested with the 11/8P and got a high figure of 11.6k. The ESC got a little warm as did the motor and my full throttle runs were only around 5 seconds each which leads me to believe static test stand running loads these things down quite a bit. I using a AXI 2826/8 motor with a Jetti 70 amp opto plus ESC running on a Thunder Power TPH45004SX lipo. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
Eric,

Nice looking test stand. Its good to know that the electronics work. Although it's good to run these setups on the ground there is some variability when in the air. Pete Mazur's on-board data logger showed at least a 10% to 15% unloading in the air (lower current). I have also seen this in my 15 e carrier plane by how much less battery is expended than static tests suggest.

As far as the RPM range, I wouldn't be too concerned until you get the plane up in the air. My 15 goes much faster than the static RPM measurement indicates that it should. I think part of this is due to the larger props used on the electrics and the efficiency of the motor. The only real measure is to get some flights in. The heat build up is something to watch but again, in the air you will get much better cooling. Just don't let the batteries or the ESC get too hot to touch or you could damage them.

Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
     Your right Bob about the rpm thing. Just got to thinking about what you said and you know if I put that 11/8 prop on one of my Nelsons that easily turn almost 20k static with a 9/6 the Nelson probably wouldn't turn the 11/8 prop any faster or maybe not as fast.
     Raining here really hard and the wind is blowing like h--l. Not to worry though as the weather man says the rain will turn to snow and the wind will increase, oh how did I end up in NV. Oh I remember now it was my wife's idea. eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 07:12:44 AM »
Eric
Looking at the pictures of your test stand, I can't see my U/Tronics unit.  Is it under the plate in the picture?  I know it is small but "Invisible"?
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
     Hi Clancy, I have to be careful where I put that thing myself or I might loose it because its so small. In the top picture it is right in front of the battery (also in the bottom picture) and it is taped to a very small battery holder for its power. My ESC does not have a power lead for the servo or what ever so you told me to use a small camera battery as the drain is very low from the U-Tronics unit. I then taped the U-Tronics unit to the battery box to help hold in the battery so you will see your little red unit next to a black box half the size of your little finger and there is a raping of tape around the whole thing. After our discutions on how to do it it worked perfect on my first try and thank you for your help. eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 09:39:28 AM »
Your welcome Eric.

In the pictures, it gives a good size comparison.

Glad to be of help and glad that it is working for you. 

Good luck with the model,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here