News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:13:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier Proposal  (Read 623 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Carrier Proposal
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »
I see that CLC-09-2 passed preliminay vote.  I disagree in when running a twin that if one engine quits before the low speed is done the low speed points will be 1/2 of the points for that low speed flight.  If you can't keep both engines running for the whole low speed I say 0 points.  With electric coming on the scene it will be a go for twins as I think it will be easier to keep both motors running.  Anyway I am against the proposal.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Carrier Proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
In reality, if electric passes, all the rules mean nothing. 
Paul Smith

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
"In reality, if electric passes, all the rules mean nothing. "

Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are no official rules to "pass" for electrics as of now. The proposed electric rules are for unofficial events and are at the discretion of the event director.  They are guidelines suggested by the Navy Carrier Society for a common way to run an event with electric planes. They are being used by some people and others may choose to not allow electrics or have their own set of rules.

If you are going to comment, please read and understand what the proposals are and not make general statements that have no basis if fact. The addition of electrics at events is meant to appeal to a broader group of people who would like to try something new. It is not meant to change the official events currently being held.

Bob Frogner

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »
Doc brought up this proposal regarding multi-engine carrier scoring and I think it deserves some discussion. Back in the olden days, under the olden rules, the Reynolds' flew a twin F7F Tigercat in Class 2 with considerable success. They used a technique whereby the outboard engine always quit after high speed so they had the airplane yawing out during low speed. This was similar to what we get with a line slider, only it was back before line sliders were used. As with so many people who win using an unusual technique, the response was to make it illegal. This was done by trashing the score if you didn't keep all engines running through the low speed flight. Now fast forward to more recent times. A few years ago, a lot of us thought it would be nice to encourage multi-engine aircraft, hoping it would increase interest in the event and surely increase spectator interest. So a small bonus for multi-engine models was instituted. (Twins are still not very competitive for technical reasons, even with the bonus points, so building one is a labor of love, anyway. But it would be nice to see some more at the contests.) However, the vestige of that old rule banning the Reynolds' flying technique was still lurking in the rule book. This still trashes the multi-engine flier if an engine quits. The new proposal intends to limit the damage done to the score if an engine quits by removing the multi-engine bonus, but not changing the earned low speed score. I agree that the flier should keep all engines running throughout the flight, but think that the appropriate penalty is removal of the multi-engine bonus. This more modest penalty might encourage someone to build and fly a multiengine model, something I still think is a worthwhile goal of the rules proposal.
Pete

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here