News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:15:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier People Care....  (Read 513 times)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Carrier People Care....
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
Gather 'round, Nasal Radiators and Bunkies, while I attempt to relive a day in History....

Bill Melton, one of the greatest icons of all time in US Navy Carrier, had sadly, passed away, doing what he liked to do, however, flying planes. Carrier planes, there at his home field in Las Cruces, NM, preparing for the upcoming NAT's.....

Later, at the very same Nat's he was preparing for, someone, perhaps Dick Perry, or maybe Art Johnson or Bill Calkins, or Mike Greb, brought up the idea of a "Missing Man Formation" in honor of Bill. The idea was immediately accepted, the mission planned and briefed. Pilots were selected for their skill and bravery, mechanics appointed based on their skill and knowledge....Dick would fly the Bill Melton Guardian, leading the formation, consisting of Bill Bischoff, Bill Calkins, Melvin Schuette, and possibly others I've forgotten. As they all came abreast of the USS SmallFry, Dick would execute a wingover, symbolizing Bill's Spirit winging Heavenward.

The klaxon sounded, Perry was airborne, circling overhead...Calkins catapaulted and joined his Skyray up with Perry.... sorta'. Bischoff in the venerable much-loved Martin MO-1 was in the air. But not Melvin.  I, for the life of me, couldn't get Melvin's motor going. Flippin' like mad, it would start, only to fizzle. Finally, at Melvin's shouted orders, the skill and knowledge kicked in- I realised the problem- the "chicken hopper" had been short-tanked, there was no fuel in the hopper! A quick top-off and the single-cylinder radial belched smoke and fire and was on its way.

What happened next has become a little fuzzy over time....Perry went over the top, a beautiful Salutation, but what is this? Bill Bischoff, multiple Ely winner and pilot without peer, bolters, then flops into the drink, deadstick. Unheard of! Calkins snags the last wire, the portion of his plane aft of the wing firmly hooked, while the rest of the plane taxis off the bow! He broke in two! The only one left to trap is Melvin, he catches the first wire with his undercarriage, his plane goes on its its nose, the propeller slams into the deck and stops. (brief pause)  Then starts up again, all by itself...backwards!  Melvin taxis off the stern! Backwards!

People are all over the place, falling down, rolling in the grass, laughing themselves silly.  If only Bill Melton was here to see this spectacle! Hmmmm....well, maybe he is....he has a terrific sense of humor....

dg

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Carrier People Care....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
He was there in spirit, I know it and could feel it at the time.  It was because I get too emotional that I couldn't see too much let alone say anything during the video taping.  He was one of the greatest to me as well as his wife, Lois.  I will never forget the first time I met him in Lincoln NE.  and watched him fly.  He is missed everytime I think of carrier.  DOC Holliday

PS:Miss seeing Bill B. flying also. jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here