News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:25:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier Engine Recommendation  (Read 973 times)

Offline Randy James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Carrier Engine Recommendation
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
New guy here. My name is Randy and I live in Silvana, WA. I'm getting back into Control Line flying by building a Square Cat profile carrier that my dad designed and Model Builder published back in July 1973. My dad flew them with Fox 35's exclusively. I've seen some stunt guys talking about using the OS Max 25LA in place of the old 35's. They say they have at least as much power. Do you think this would hold true for Carrier use as well? I'm mainly going to use this as a trainer for my young son and myself. I probably won't even put the hook on at first but i would like to be able to use this in Profile Nostalgia down the road sometime. Any other engine recommendations welcome too.

Thanks!
Randy

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Carrier Engine Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »
While the LA.25 often has about the same power as a Fox .35 stunt, it doesn't hold up to the old Fox .36 combat special based engines.  In addition, I have seen a great deal of variability in LA.25's when they are used in events where they are pushed a little hard.  For instance, in 75 mph speed limit combat, some easily make the speed limit, others never get there no matter what you do to them.  I don't feel that they offer any advantage over some other easily available modern engines.  On the other hand, if you aren't real interested in being competitive right off the bat, then any modern RC engine up to .40 size will be fine. 

There is another thread that was recently done here that is in the same vein - asking for profile engine recommendations.  The Thunder Tiger .36, the Webra .35 and the OS .32  are all mentioned.  The thread starts at:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12513.0

Here in our club, we have two profiles running on Magnum .36's - on mild fuel and with no modifications they are pretty good 'starter' engines.  I feel that they have the potential to go real well, but haven't had the time or the inclination to put any effort into them.  Contrary to other's experiences, we have had no trouble with the throttles, but one can't discount the experiences of some who have had.

As for Nostalgia, if you can get any of your dad's Foxes from 1973, you would get a bonus for a period engine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:03:43 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
Mike knows what he is talking about as far as getting started in carrier.  Unless you already haave the LA 25's.  They will get you in the air until you decide to go with better engines.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy James

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice. I do have a couple of my dads old Fox engines but if I recall correctly they did not have throttles on them. It's been awhile since I dug them out. I'm looking into the modern engines mainly for ease of use right now especially while working with my son on the basics. My wing is about half framed and should be ready to come off the wing jig tonight!

Randy

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »
Thunder Tiger .36 gives good bang for the buck. Fox .35 stunt for carrier will give poor performance and does not have a carb. Webra .32/  OS .35 [new one] even ST .34. Good luck,Dan

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
mike is it true you  cant  use a size .40 in carrier? %^@ y1

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
40 engine in Class 1 not Profile. I might suggest a Webra .36 in profile. Gary Hull had one at Brodak's and it was a screamer. He is now testing it with an OS 4BK carb. He says it has better adjustments than the stock Webra carb which doesn't have a stop screw.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
oohhhhhhhhhhh b1

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
oohhhhhhhhhhh b1

Roger, whats with the Ohhhhhhh?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here