News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:06:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier Engine Mufflers  (Read 652 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Carrier Engine Mufflers
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
This could just as well be addressed in the engines section but since it pertains specifically to my carrier set-ups I choose to do it here. I use an OS-32 and a Webra 32 for profile/sportsmen/nostalgia carrier. Previously I have always used a muffler of some sort due to field regulations and personal preference. The fields I currently fly at do not have a muffler rule and I am considering going to open exhaust.
Other than the increased noise and higher RPM what changes should I expect? Does anyone have experience running these 2 engines w/open exhaust and do they work will with that set-up or are they better with the increased back pressure that mufflers provide, like many stunt engines? Recommendations?
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

david smith

Re: Carrier Engine Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
I run the os 32 on my skyray and it puts it almost at the speed limit.  It is just on suction with a standard(regular) tank. sig 10% 1/2 cas. 1/2 syn, Master Airscrew 9-6, and the needle valve assy works better when it is actually mounted on the back plate.  I think that the OS could be a really good engine with some more nitro and a better prop.  As for the webra I just bought my first one not to long ago and with what little experience I have with it it seems to possibly be comparableto the OS.  Im working on a tigercat for class II to put them both in.  Good luck!

David

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Carrier Engine Mufflers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
Thanks Dave, I see you are not using a muffler on your OS so I'm going to go for it. Regarding the Webra, I've been using it for quite a while and although I like the engine, I have found the OS to have more power and be less tempermental. I am using an OS 3H Carb on the Webra, primarily to it having a low speed stop which the Webra carb does not.  Thanks again for the reply. 8)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:12:27 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here