News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:30:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier Deck construction new technology material.I believe if  (Read 667 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Carrier Deck construction new technology material.I believe if
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
I believe if we had a deck in Cleveland we could revive carrier higher than it is today but a full sized deck creates movement and storage issues. 2X4's and 3/4 ply is just out of the question when to concern yourself with weight and storage. What about newer materials, has anyone have any suggestions or experiences. How about the Brits, Japan or Australia where carrier seems to be flourashing.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

david smith

Re: Carrier Deck construction new technology material.I believe if
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
Check out the "carrier test trials" thread. That is our new deck that I built here in North Carolina.  It is made out of 1x3's and 7/16" particle board.  I can move it around by my self if I need to.

David

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:30:24 AM »
Wayne -

Our deck (built in Spring 2000) is 2x2 's and 1/2" OSB (oriented strand-board).  It is based on Bill Calkins' which is based on Melvin Schuette's which I think is based on Dave Rolley's -- whatever, each section weighs about 65 lbs and the original was supposed to be able to be fit in a full-size station wagon.  Don't know about that, but I have transported it in my S-10 size pickup.  Besides, when was the last time anyone saw a 'full-size' station wagon?

I have loaded into the truck by myself, but with two people it is not hard to handle at all.  I have our protective ramp hinged to the #1 section so that section is real heavy but I try to time it so that someone else has to load and unload that section  LL~

Oh, it is 11 sections not 12.  Our arresting rope supports are just some 1x2's with V-grooves cut in them - these are pegged down to the edges of the deck with longish 1/4" screws (we don't even put nuts on, we just use the screws as pegs).

The other countries decks are quite a bit smaller than ours and do not meet our rulebook descriptions.  The 11 section deck was made possible by a change in the rulebook in the '90s
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:36:14 AM »
The lightest deck I have run across is by Ted Kraver and the club at Phoenix. They used a rather thin plywood and aluminum breams of the kind that go between drywall sheets to make modern walls.
The deck at Treetown was built by the Milwaukee club years ago and sold to us when carrier died out in their area. It is plywood on 2x2's. Lighter, and stacks thinly enough that it fits in more or less normal vans.
Pete

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the input, I will send Ted Kraver an e-mail and ask for information.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
Here are the dimentions of the decks used overseas. You can see it is much smaller and has fewer arresting ropes.It should be much easier to handle and more of a challenge to land on. Their scoring is much different too and simpler.

The minimum dimensions of any carrier deck should be: centreline length 27ft 6in (8.4m) excluding stern ramp; width 5ft (1.5m); height 1ft 2in (0.35m), stern ramp length 4ft (1.2m) measured down slope; centreline curved to a 60ft (18.3m) radius.
Arrester wire details should be: 4 wires supported 1ä (25mm) above the deck, each 16ft (4.9m) long with a 5 lb (2.5kg) sandbag (or other suitable arresting drag) attached to each end; the No.1 wire should be located perpendicular to the deck centreline at a distance of 4ft (1.2m) forward from the ramp top and the remaining wires perpendicular to the centreline and spaced at 2ft 8in (0.8m) intervals.
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the dimensions. Unfortunately if we wanted to have a contest a deck of those dimensions wouldnt be acceptable. I will keep this in mind.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
. how #^ hooray hooray finally some talks on decks bringum into the cleve. area yeah how about us getting us to fly at the captains stadium parking lot its big enough for 3 or4 rings and they use it for  go kart racing car racing food markets ect. get your clubs going and find out. even good for scale and carrier smooth ashphalt look into it guys.
roger H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here