News:

• May 19, 2024, 03:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CArrier Contest Dallas, Tx, Oct 10, 2009  (Read 1473 times)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
CArrier Contest Dallas, Tx, Oct 10, 2009
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
The Fogerty left Dallas for a short sea-trial, a little accident prone, no one injured, some got wet, though. Col Dave Ek was ordered to report to the bridge for two flame-out dead stick landings with his A-7, and flat-hatting in general, but both caught a wire. Skipper Phil Dunlap "grounded" the colonel for two missions...he runs a tight ship! Thanks to the Tennessee flyers who came by to fly with us, lots of fun.  A Guardian looping on takeoff into the deck gave an opportunity for the Tennessee fellows to show how quickly they can clear out....very impressive!     dg

PS: With more than a week of steady rains, it was impossible to get a vehicle/trailer into the park to transport the deck. This was acomplished using manual labor and although some tired muscles are reported the job was accomplished. I think with the weight of the old deck we would have just scuttled the boat and gone to Chubby's and toasted its demise. 

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: CArrier Contest Dallas, Tx, Oct 10, 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:28:13 AM »
Dale, I know you may have done this before but review the deck construction on the picture of the Fogerty.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
Hi Wayne,
Go back to Page 2 and the title is "Re-kindling Carrier in Big D", or something like that. It has to do with a deck that was just too heavy for us to assemble any longer, so we built one like Dick Perry designed. There are a couple of posts there, I think.

Thanks,
dale g

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
I found it but I like the Fogerty. Who has the exact data for materials and assemblies? It would bee much appreciated. We can use it on grass. We just have to do some shimming.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:17:08 PM »
They are the same, the Fogerty has 3/8th plywood and Dick Perry's has 3/8th OBS, paticle board. There are no plans, it's just in Dave Ek's head. Dave is not a forum kind of guy, too busy working. He cut the 4x8 sheets a uniform size, I can't recall exact- maybe three inches off each side of one end to get the proper radius. I'll ask him when I see him next. It does work on grass, and it will work on hard surface. Since the plywood tended to warp  we installed 1x1 strips across the centers underneath and also some foam insulation under the "Walkway" so the pilots could cross the deck to get out to the handle. You always need some shimming. The planform is in the AMA rules.

Are you referring to the "bridge"? That's in Dave's head, too. Just make it up as you go,  lol

Best regards,
dale g

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
I have to think that the plywood would hold up better in our climate than the OBS. I would appreciate any mor information.I have to keep pushing this. It'stime to get Cleveland back on the Carrier map.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
Dick Perry built his carrier in 4 hours, including a quick spray on gray coat. He may have put it in the NCS newsletter. I'll call Dave tonight and see what he remembers. I know you take 11 4x8 sheets of just about anything, cut two long skinny triangles off each side of each piece, lay the resultant, somewhat "pie-slice-shaped" pieces on the ground, skinny end on the inside and, Viola! Dick and Dave both found that the last two panels at the bow end need to be elevated about four inches total, a "ski-jump" effect. This wasn't needed on the 2x4 carrier decks. I don't imagine the "ski-jump" is part of any rules, but the idea is to get people in the air, and this will do it. Hang in there Wayne, helps'a'comin'!  dale

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 06:56:58 PM »
Dick Perry built his carrier in 4 hours, including a quick spray on gray coat. He may have put it in the NCS newsletter. I'll call Dave tonight and see what he remembers. I know you take 11 4x8 sheets of just about anything, cut two long skinny triangles off each side of each piece, lay the resultant, somewhat "pie-slice-shaped" pieces on the ground, skinny end on the inside and, Viola! Dick and Dave both found that the last two panels at the bow end need to be elevated about four inches total, a "ski-jump" effect. This wasn't needed on the 2x4 carrier decks. I don't imagine the "ski-jump" is part of any rules, but the idea is to get people in the air, and this will do it. Hang in there Wayne, helps'a'comin'!  dale
Gary Hull just sent me the deck plans. But I need to know what the underside looks like on the Fogerty. There has to be some strength and anti warp construction. We need compact and as light but strong as possible. 2x4 aint going to get it.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »
Wayne,

How about concrete.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
We asked the fairgrounds about that a couple of years ago and they werent very forthcoming.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
Results for the DMAA Fall Final CL Speed & Carrier 10 - 10 & 11 - 2009 Dallas TX. Hobby Park
Weather conditions = cool & cloudy 58 degrees, 78% humidity, wind 5 to 10 MPH North East. Fuel for jet provided by DMAA 20% nitro.

CL Jet Speed (309)      Speed      
1st   Patrick Hempel      180.25 MPH
2nd   Steve Perkins      166.91 MPH

CL Sport Jet (NASS)      Speed
1st    Steve Perkins      148.09 MPH  (tie)
1st   Patrick Hempel      148.09 MPH  (tie)

21 Sport Speed      Speed
1st   Kelly Wilson      62.66 MPH

½ Proto Speed         Speed
1st   Kelly Wilson      51.25 MPH

Profile Carrier         Score
1st   Dave Ek       193.36
2nd   Kelly Wilson      120.30

Class I            Score
   1st   Dave Ek      30.89

Class II            Score   
   1st   Dale Gleason      390.709

.15 Carrier         Score
   1st   Kelly Wilson      88.41
Patrick Hempel

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
Sorry to not get back to you, Wayne, I've been in Baton Rouge at their contest last weekend. I guess I'll have to go out to Hobby Park and just take a look at the underside of Fogerty. It's nothing too difficult. basically 2x2's across the deck on the bottom.Tongue and groove joint all the way across to join each segment. They were a little tight at first, he just made the groove wider so they would come together easier.The tongue and groove adds rigidity and stops any warping.. It really just lies there on the grass.  dg

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:07:02 AM »
I would appreciate that. Grab a few pics if you can.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here