News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier at Brodaks  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Carrier at Brodaks
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
Thinking about entering the FJ in profile Carrier at Brodaks. I really like the way Brodaks schedules the events as I normally only have to deal with one event on any given day. I see by the schedule Carrier starts at 8:00 on Wednesday and runs through Thursday. I'll be flying Classic on Wednesday and Old Time on Thursday. If they fly Profile Carrier on Wednesday I probably won't enter as Classic would be taking all my energy. I could probably fly Old Time and Carrier on the same day and wondering if anyone that has flown Carrier at Brodaks remembers how they normally schedule the Carrier events.

Thanks

Also, whats Sportsman Carrier and how does it differ from Profile?

Joe Just

Re: Carrier at Brodaks
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Bob, here is my take on the Carrier compitition at Brodak's. I have been  there 3 times so far and have even helped a bit, sandwitching my time there with other events.  By its' nature carrier is a rather laid back event in scheduling.  I would guess from watching past competitors amble up to the site that just about any time in the two days that you could break away would be the time to fly. Last year I was there and the event director for racing came after running the two racing events and participating in others coming to put in his profile attempts.  John Vulna runs a good contest, is able to conduct the events without demanding a schedule to be followed.  Please enter your plane, and with two whole days to put in official flights you will be able to fit your PA and OTS flights in and still have fun at the Carrier circle.

Now, I will be brief in describing the difference between Profile and Sportsman.  Sportsman is an unofficial AMA event which allows those of us who do not wish or cant push the envelope to compete for placing at a more laid back event.  The plane you use can be flown in either event, but not both, giving us "less than Nats quality fliers" a chance to win something and learn more if one wishes to move on to top level compitition. Much like the theory behind the "Postal Carrier Contest"

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
Thanks Joe, great answers. Probably should enter Sportsman as I already know my airplane won't be competitave in profile against MO1's. Add that to the fact I've yet to fly a carrier flight and well... hope I can at least not crash.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
Everybody's got to start someplace, go for it!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:18 AM »
For more detailed info on Sportsman carrier go to www.navalcarriersociety(dot)org. It is in the rules section. Personnally I don't see why the resistance in making Sportsman a non line slider class but that subject has been beat to death. As it stands it's profile carrier for less than serious or new carrier fliers who don't feel they can, or don't want to, compete with the experts.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
Carrier has always been ALL DAY THURSDAY (up until now).

Last year, it was advertised as Thursday, but guys were flying practice on Wednesday and they sort of spontaneously let 'em put in OFFICIALS on Wednesday evening.  I wish that had been publicized, it would have helped me.

This year (2010) they put it in writing: Starting at noon Wednesday and all day Thursday.  This will help Carrier fit in with all the other events.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
I agree that Sportsman needs more of a differential from regular Rule Book Profile.

At The Brodak, they give a 10-point bonus for a Brodak kit or design.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:48:47 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
The intent of Sportsman Carrier is to give people a chance to fly carrier in a class where they are not competing with the more experienced fliers. It is similar to a novice class. When you get too good in Sportsman you are expected to move up to the Open class. The reason for allowing sliders is that this is a training ground for the open event and competitors who want to progress to open class should be able to fly under the same conditions that they will find in the open class. When they become more proficient they do not have to add a slider, or if they do not want to use a slider they are free to do so. I have seen some very good scores in Sportsman by competitors that have fixed leadouts.

I spent about 3 years in Sportsman until I was at a skill level (and equipment level) that would be suitable for Open class competition. It was a great way to get started in carrier without having to score 300+ points. I know of some flyers that just compete in Sportsman and have for many years. Give it a try.

As far as being competitive with MO-1's, that is not necessarily the plane to beat these days. Looking at the top 20 list there are more non-MO-1's than MO-1's.
Bob Frogner

Joe Just

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
I forgot to mention that non-slider planes  as well as all .15 planes entered at Brodak's are elligible for Postal Carrier Contest scoring. This year all 3 winners in profile and .15 in the PCC will be winning a free electronic membership in the Navy Carrier Society! See you there!
Joe

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Here is a clarification of how I run carrier at Brodak's.  Official flying starts at noon Wed. I will be available to process entries starting Wed. morning. Flight order is determined by a sign up sheet. When you are ready to fly, (anytime after you airplane has been processed) simply sign up to fly. When called to fly you have 5 min to get to the deck and 5 min's to start, multi-engines get more time per AMA rules. Any event can be flown on either day and in any order. I also allow practice flights if the deck is open. Official flights have priority. This allows people flying other events  opportunity to fly two events on one day.

The reason we went to 1 1/2 days was that one day is not quite enough time for the number of entries to get all attempts in. In carrier there are three attempts for two scores. An attempt is not official unless the contestant signals for low speed. Once two scores or three attempts  are made you are finished.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 04:17:17 AM »
John, see you there.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
Can I use an electric starter?

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
Can I use an electric starter?

No problem, really dont know anywhere you couldn't.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
Bob, electric starters are recommended.  Saves time and fingers with some of the high powered stuff.  Remember to have fun.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
Bob, I have no idea how many flyers will show up but Carrier at Brodak's is fun. Thanks for adding to the fun and divercity of aircraft represented. Love the look of your model.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the info and help. Should be exciting as my 4th or 5th flight ever in Carrier (and on the FJ) will probably be an official. Will probably fly my officials on Thursday as that is OTS day and I fly OTS just for fun. I entered Profile, didn't want to take the 10 point hit in Sportsman although maybe that is what I really should have done. Might be able to change to Sportsman? What do you guys think?

Sure hope the FJ survives, we have a Postal Carrier event planed to be held sometime later in the season and it would be nice to still have the FJ :)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
Bob,
You would be more competetive in Sportsman. The 10 point hit for not having a Brodak kit isn't that big. Many people new to carrier don't even hit the landing and that sometimes determines the winner. Last year a guy got 3rd in sportsman with a flight that had a low speed almost as fast as high speed, but he nailed the landing. In AMA you will see some guys that go fast and hang the planes for incrediable slow times. It is hard for a new guy to compete with that. I don't see a problem if you want to switch to Sportsman, and be sure to come up early for some anding practice if you can.

John Vlna
Brodak ED

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here