News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Built a 2.4 Handle and Hell Cat 15  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Built a 2.4 Handle and Hell Cat 15
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
Well I built a 2.4 radio system and a Hellcat carrier 15 to play with. The radio is a 20 dollar car radio from HobbyPartz and just stripped out the radio gear and tossed the plastic case.

The home made handle uses just the throttle pot with a custom trigger because the plastic one broke.
The radio and Tx battery goes into a small camera bag that can be hung over your shoulder or on your belt it has a servo extension cord to the pot in the handle and just static testing from almost 100 yards it works just fine. I am using the steering channel because it has end point adjustments and the radio don’t know what is throttle or steering and I end up with an extra pot in case the one in the handle gets damaged.

The Hell Cat is powered by an Enya 15-5 S that is turning an 8X4 MA at 18,500 rpm, the motor has been reworked a bit with an OS3A carb have no idea what it’s off just found it in the parts box but the motor has good throttle response with it. The motor is using the original muffler with the exhaust bored out the 5/16 and muffler pressure so 18,500 sounded good to me with the 8X4 prop.

Plane has a foam wing 30 inch span and at 29 oz don’t know if this is to heavy or not. Hope to get it in the air this week end to test fly if the weather gets better been cold, windy and rain for a week now and this Sunday says sunny and 60 so they say.

Have a few pictures of the radio and plane but have no idea how to post them, I resized them and made them a smaller file size so they should be fine . Is there a tutorial some where how to insert them in a post ?

Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Built a 2.4 Handle and Hell Cat 15
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
See if this helps -

(I should have said "Navigate to your pic and select it")
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
Re: Built a 2.4 Handle and Hell Cat 15
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
It sounds neat to me Richard. The OS-3A is used by the OS 40 FP along with several other OS engines, a pretty popular carb. The biggest catch I see is the pressure fuel tank. Tank pressure is not allowed in .15 carrier in contests. The pressure may be what makes it turn 18500 and behave well. Nice size plane and not to heavy either. The lighter they are the faster they go because of good acceleration off of the deck but if they are to light 24 to 27 ounces they can be a real hand full in the slow speed. An interesting plane and I hope you will share how it fly's with the rest of us.  Eric
Eric

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Pictures now-- Built a 2.4 Handle and Hell Cat 15
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
Pictures of handle and plane I hope

The engine was turning 18,500 on the test stand with out muffler pressure, with a 7X5 S-2 master air screw it does 21,000 with out a muffler on the motor.

All the radio TX gear is in the red camera bag.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:24:49 PM by Richard Imhoff »
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here