News:

• May 15, 2024, 02:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building a FJ-4 Fun Carrier  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Building a FJ-4 Fun Carrier
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »
Actually, it fits into multiple events: Profile Carrier or Sportsman Carrier come to mind. It could also be entered in Nostalgia Carrier but would suffer from not being eligible for the Non-Schneurle engine or Historic Model bonus'. Besides, jets with props are a long established tradition in this event. Just look at Dick Perry's A-4 Skyhawk, the old A-7 that was kitted by Dumas, the Vampires being flown by Bob Frogner in California, and I guess we could throw in the Ryan "Dark Shark" which had a turbo-jet in front and a pure jet in the tail. I like them all.  

As far as the plane in question...IT LOOKS GREAT! and will probably do better in competition than expected. If not, so what, you still get the satisfaction of flying a totally cool airplane and (hopefully) making a 100 pt landing. FWIW: This post inspired me to re-start construction of one of my favorites, the Spearfisher. Staying away from in-flight line sliders but with flaps, moveable aileron and rudder, it should fly well. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
Bob, I think your FJ-4 will do excellent in slow flight and landing considering the plane's design and your flying experience!
The fun-factor should always be ahead of competition, unless your goal is the Nats.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
Bob,

I used to be in agreement with you that jets with props did'nt seem quite right but then I built the Vampire and now I kind of think they are neat. Your plane looks absolutely beautiful. What a nice job. I think it will more competitive than you think if you spend a little time getting the balance right. To me that's the most important part of making a carrier plane fly well in both high and low speed. You could fly it in Sportsman or profile and also in nostalgia. Take your pick.

It's going to look great in flight. Try and get some pictures of it in the air. Really  great markings and overall good looks. Most carrier planes are much to "rugged" looking, yours will put many to shame!!!!

Hope it flies as good as it looks. Keep us posted.

Bob

Bob Frogner

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
The Skyshark never had a piston engine, that was left to it's brother the Skyraider that had a Wright 3350 ci piston engine.    Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Ty, It really did start out to be something simple I was going to throw together, using a foam wing to make the build a bit easier. Then the tail hook idea came along, lee's Airabonita was being built with flaps so had to add flaps. Biggest mistake was ordering Tom's carrier CD, This resulted in the rudder, aleron and using Z spring on the flaps so I didn't have an icky old rubber band holding the hook down. Then it had to have a good finish, spent as much time on this finish as I usually do a stunt ship.

It really was a fun poject, I truly enjoy tinkering with mechanacial things and this gave me a gold mine of items to tinker with. I just hope it flys, I would love to take it to Brodaks and enter it in profile carrier. Even though I know I wouldn't have a chance of placing it would be cool. Especially if I could dig up a brown T shirt  :)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2009, 03:01:11 AM »
The FJ-4 did have slats, not sure about the earlier FJ versions.

I did think about it briefly, then decided it would be a nightmare. They would need to be deployed mechanically, can't imagine what kind of enginering it would take to make them drop at low speed like the real version. They would need to be laid up from glass or CF and the wing would need to have recess so they would blend into the airfoil. Ya it can be done but....  %^@

Am hoping if I get the CG in a sweet spot the swept wing won't be a hindrance. This things wing loading is far less than most carrier airplanes simply because it so durn big. I'm thinking the low speed should be as good as anything can be without a line slider. High speed is what's going to suck.

First few flights should be real interesting, everyone in the club wants to be sure I wait till they can be at the field when I fly it the first time. 

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
Especially if I could dig up a brown T shirt  :)

I think Tools can get you all that airdale stuff. I'll bet you will place at Brodak's if you take...so you better take it. It qualifies for fun scale too!
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here