News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Guardian  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Guardian
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »
I am attaching hopefully a couple pictures of my in process Brodak Guardian. I clipped the wing a bit and will have the fuel tank nested in the wing. It will be powered by an Irvine 36 ABC. I believe its moving on nicely. Since I dont get excited about line sliders I will probably just make them adjustable. I will finish it in my traditional white and orange Navy scheme.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Brodak Guardian
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
I would say its looking pretty darn good. This is the first time I have seen one of the Brodak Guardians in the bear. That wing is realy deep isnt it. I see you have put in doublers between the wing ribs and it appears that the trailing edge is built up also, must be one stiff strong wing. I like the way the throtle arm from the bellcrank comes through the wing and it looks like with adjustable lead outs there will be plenty of room to move the lines back and forth at the wing tip. I'm impressed. The pictures turned out good too, wish I could do as well. eric

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:34:31 PM »
Wayne,

Looking great, but I'm curious, why did you clip the wing? Also, doesn't the kit come with wing mounted gear?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:07 PM »
I wanted to cut down the square inches a little so I took of one bay on each side. The kit plane has fuselage mounted gear so thats what I am using. I ordered a rib set from John and the rest is done from the plans of a previous kit. I like that John has full size prints of his kits. saves making templates. The kit doest call for a cheek cowel but I put one on for strength and dampening. I picked up the Idea for the supports from Bob Hunt for strngthening the wing. I like the way its coming out also. I will keep you posted.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:45:27 AM »
Wayne,

Nice looking build. I like the shear web on the spar, that should make it nice and sturdy. I built one of the kits as my first carrier plane and it flew very well. The thick wing slows it down a bit but in low speed it works great.

Post some pictures of the completed model. Would like to see them.
Bob Frogner

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
Two more shots toward completion. I have added the tips. Outboard has 3.0 oz in it and there is an adjustable tip weight box for fine tuning. The rudder, stab and elevators have been added. It's starting to look like a Guardian. I installed the adjustable leadout guide (Brodak) and put fillets in for the rudder/finn assembly.
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
It just keeps getting better and better. Keep us posted. eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 08:37:32 PM »
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »
You had better check the AMA rules about cheek cowls before you get too far. Unless you are just going to sport fly it.
  Also no Guardians were painted white. Most were dark blue, a very few were light grey with white control surfaces. An orange band around the fusalage denoted a reserve aircraft.
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 04:30:16 AM »
The " cheek cowl" area is well within the definition of profile and it was recommended by Gary Hull. I can't remember the specific rules paragraph but its there. The white scheme,  is the typical high res training paint scheme with orange and white. Maybe a Guardian in that scheme is a slight stretch but a ton of navy aircraft had that scheme, ala Skyraider, T28, T34 and almost anything that wound up at the China Lake facility. The point is that it is a typical  scheme that may have been used during the aircrafts life. Its definitely not a 1950S scheme on a 1928 airplane. So hence if it was pre WW2, I would paint it yellow etc. I will post a picture soon as I just started to monokote the wing.
Thanks
Wayne
You had better check the AMA rules about cheek cowls before you get too far. Unless you are just going to sport fly it.
 Also no Guardians were painted white. Most were dark blue, a very few were light grey with white control surfaces. An orange band around the fusalage denoted a reserve aircraft.

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 09:22:11 AM »
Wayne,

The white paint scheme should be no problem. The AMA rules state:

8.1.4. To receive bonus points in any class:
a. The color of the model must be similar to
any military-type aircraft paint scheme.

and

8.1. A scale model of a carrier aircraft of
any nation, provided it displays the national markings
of the using nation, shall receive bonus points.

That leaves it pretty wide open. My Vampires are white, the only question I have gotten is the markings. I put Australian markings on one and Canadian markings on the other. I was able to document that there were versions of the Vampire flown by both of those countries so that was not a problem. I have also seen all white versions of MO-1's.

Good luck. Hope the plane flies well, it sure looks nice!

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 11:50:22 AM »
  No question about the color being legal, it is by the rules. I personally like to see accurate paint schemes for the period.An MO-1 with modern schemes dosn't look right and a F-14 wouldn't look right in WWI markings.
  At this point I am very happy to see anyone building and flying anything in carrier event, even if has pink polka dots! Mike
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 04:28:30 AM »
Thanks Bob, I knew I wouldnt have to quote a paragraph in the rule book. I am looking forward to completing this airplane so I can get back on track with my 40" Guardian by Bill Boss for nostalgia. it was fun corresponding with Bill Boss to verify the design date. They chose to publish the Sea Fury and not the Guardian. I am not a fan of current rules so this profile Guardian is not meant for current competition. I quit flying competition in 85 after twenty years. The highlight of my carrier envolvement was the 72 Glenview Nats. What a turnout. 3 decks I believe.
Merry Christmas
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 07:39:47 AM »
Back when I was flying scale carrier only(was not allowed to fly profile) I flew an all white Gaurdian.  Nobody at that time ever complained.  The reason I did it was it was different and a person(can't recall his name) also flew one.  He also had pictures to prove it was authentic.  Need to get my all grey MO-1 in the air.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »
I believe the first white or light gray Guardian I saw was by Harry Higley. I have a picture of it somplace. I think it was Glenview in 72. I am going to try to scan some nostalgia carrier pictures and the  post.
Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 09:55:24 AM »
I have two new pictures of my Brodak Guardian profile. I got the wings done with monokote white. I really dislike working with the plastic but it seem to be a great combination for the beating a profile ship takes. I doesn't look bad but I just hate working on the tips. To many wrinkles. I just am amazed at how well Gary Hull does with his ships, he uses no paint. I have two coats of Brodak Nitrate clear, sanded with 400. I touched up a few dings and then I will go with sanding sealer given it has a butyrate base. Than some color. I will attach the two pictures.
Merry Christmas
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »
The profile Brodak Guardian is moving forward. I have the colors done. White fuselage with black anti-glare in front of the cockpit. Orange panels and slightly darkened canopy area. I need to let it dry so sometime next week I can shoot some clear. Colors are Brodak Insignia White, Jet Black and Cessna Orange. Its really shaping up. I'll post two pictures.
Thanks
Wayne buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 01:03:17 AM »
It's more than shaping up, Wayne!  It looks really nice from here.  I do like the "Trainer Colors", it will *pop* at the field.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »
Bill, thanks, I have been using it for more years than I want to remember. It came from Profile Publications #60 which is the Skyraider. It is eye catching and since the Guardians were around then I thought it would be differant. Twenty five years ago when my son Aaron flew profile carrier he had several Sterling Hellcat's painted in the red navy drone colors which is another intersting look. BTW there is a web site for the U S Navy's "China Lake" facility and they have some interesting pictures. I have to put some clear on and then I can start assembling the airplane. Glad the end is in sight. Once again thanks for the interest and a special thanks to Bob for building a site that is so easy to post on.
Wayne Buran
http://www.chinalakealumni.org/index.htm

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »
HI Wayne,

Thanks for the link!

Good Luck with the Guardian!  It is looking great.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
It is looking great and I too like the trainer colors. I've been thinking about building a Grumman US-2C Tracker with much the same color scheme for a scale project. Hope you post a couple pictures of it after you have all the hardware on it. eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »
Well, it's done. I have all the linkage in, hook etc. The gear is in and some decals. The engine is mounted and the tank is installed. Now I just have to wait for spring. Now I can work on my Claas 2. Take a look at this ling. What a paint job for a Guardian. I am attaching the final pictures.
Wayne
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/coll/build_coll_af-3s.shtml
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
Wayne,
Very clean and nicely done. It looks great. Too bad you'll have to fly  it and get it dirty!!!!!. Hope it flies as good as it looks.

You'll have to  report when you get it in the air.

You should send some pictures to Dick Perry, he likes to show off new planes in his articles in the AMA magazine.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Albert Kraus

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 05:45:12 AM »
Very very nice makes me want to get mine out
& start it I think I would be a copy cat.
love it
Albert Kraus
MAAC 4381-L            fishnfly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 08:16:30 AM »
Wayne, I just now got back to checking on your post of the Gaurdian.  It looks great.  Maybe see it at the NATS in 2007.  If so come by the MBS Model Supply booth, this crochity old man should be there running things as Melvin is going to be the carrier event director.  Also let us know how that Irvine works.  The biggest problem I had was getting my engines to run dependably.  Mostly not enough practice.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
Doc, sorry but the NATS is not on my schedule this year. I will be going to Brodaks this time. Havent been for three years so its time. I dont know if I will fly it in competion, I just might be there to help Joe Cservenko.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 09:12:18 PM »
If you go to Brodaks at least fly it in Sportsman.  I know the guys will more than be willing to help you.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Bump! for the pictures.   :o
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 05:36:01 PM »
What's the wingspan on yours now then Wayne?

Thanks for all the pics! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
Thanks for bumping this thread up. I couldnt figure out how to do it. The airplane is still in one piece and I took a second at Brodaks in Sportsman. Nobody had a snagged landing. Maybe this year.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 11:33:39 AM »
About time you gave us an update on this.  I had forgotten all about it.  May have to get mine back out and fly just to see if my modification works.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here