News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:42:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak FJ-4-.15 kit released.  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Brodak FJ-4-.15 kit released.
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:56:35 AM »
Just received my example of the FJ-4 kit from Brodak (CLP-96). John really did it right, the hardware included is everything needed to build the airplane including the carbon tubing and aluminum engine mounting plates. Laser cut balsa and plywood parts are first class, overall I'm really impressed with the kit. Wasn't sure how much of the necessary hardware he would include as it was a trade off between kit price and what was supplied, was good to see he chose to save the builder time looking for all the little items needed to build this airplane.

I hope he sells a few to make up for his investment in developing the kit, it really is a good performing airplane that looks like the real deal.

Joe Just

Re: Brodak FJ-4-.15 kit released.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
Bob, Great news!  I have been trying to get a couple of them for some time. I will order 2 of them today.
Joe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
Ah, my next carrier plane.   Have been waiting a while for this to get produced.   Will you guys be at Brodak's fun fly/contest?   I need to get reservations in as the wife has said okay.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
Doc
Hope you'll be able to come. I would enjoy seeing you.
At Brodak's his kits get a 10 point bonus in 15. Now I am on absolute safe ground with the FJ, before the ground was shakey because it took so long to get the kit out, but I gave it the points anyway.
John

PS; this is a very good flying plane

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
Didn't make it last year, Brodak trip money went to building a carport to keep the hail off our vans. So far the plan is for me and Tom Martin to make the trip together again. we have motel reservations and and a new van to make the trip in.

I'm a little up in the air about entering Carrier. The schedule changed and now Carrier days are the same days as Classic and Profile. In the past I could fly Carrier on Old Time day as even though I flew Old Time I really didn't care about placing.

You have to kinda understand I have serious anxiety attacks when I fly competition because something inside me gets way too serious about wanting to do the best I can. I'm not real sure I can handle flying two events I really care about on the same day. Haven't sent my entry in yet, still mulling it over.

In any case, I'll be there and will be good to see everyone again.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
Looks nice, I'll be getting one also. Maybe get someone else in our club interested in carrier. Looks like a good candidate for ASP 15. Or for some of those inclined maybe ecletic.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
Looks nice, I'll be getting one also. Maybe get someone else in our club interested in carrier. Looks like a good candidate for ASP 15. Or for some of those inclined maybe ecletic.
Wayne

Can't believe I'm saying this but, it would be a great candidate for electric. With a wet engine, (due to the swept wings) you need to put a couple ounces lead in the tail (has weight box built in). If it was electric you could place the battery where you wouldn't need to add as much tail weight if any at all.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
Bob brought this in the clubhouse today for us to peruse during our weekly get-together.
The kit is top notch! What was most impressive to me is the hardware pack.
You'd be hard pressed to save any time or money fabricating your own horns, cranks and bearings.
Brodak mfg. did an excellent job.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
Can't believe I'm saying this but, it would be a great candidate for electric.

Hey I heard THAT!   #^

All teasing aside, CONGRATS on the design and getting the kit out.  I knew it was in the works, and it was GREAT having a kit in the Brodak display at the Toledo show this past weekend. 

Planning (hoping) to make the Fly-In this year, looking forward to seeing you there.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Joe Just

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »
Got my shipment of this new kit today.  Bob. they are really great!  You should be proud.  I was at the Brodak Fly-In when you made the first flights on the bigger ship and the .15 size and I was impressed then.  To any lurkers out there, I will have this kit at the Portland Tune-Up fort your consideration. E-mail me for prices and to put your name on the kit.
Joe

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »
Bob, nice job on the kit. I just got mine yesterday. Also the Brodak instruction booklet is great. Some items we carrier flyers take for granted are explained nicely. Excellent learning tool.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
Bob, nice job on the kit. I just got mine yesterday. Also the Brodak instruction booklet is great. Some items we carrier flyers take for granted are explained nicely. Excellent learning tool.
Wayne

Thank you... I wrote and shot the photos for about 95% of the instruction manual as a favor to John. The only reward I will get is peoples appreciation for all the hard work.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
Went to order the kit and I guess my old account has expired.   Waiting on word for a password from the Brodak clan.   I have also made my reservations for the Brodak contest.   One hotel/motel was already booked up of the two that were listed at Waynesburg PA. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
Uniontown, on the eastern side of Carmichaels, has more and better accommodations.  Either way, it's 10-to-15 mile computer to the venue.  A lot better than Montezuma.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
I personally prefer Waynesburg because we go right through it on the way in. Plus when we get up and head back home on Sunday morning we are already 20 miles ahead of the game. This year we are going to try Uniontown and see how it works out.

Edit: My traveling buddy just informed me the motel (Microtel) he made reservations at is in Waynesburg  #^

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:33:14 AM by Bob Reeves »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
I think we will be hitting the road that Saturday after noon and see if we clear Ohio.  Still waiting on Brodaks, guess I will have to call even though I have trouble on the phone hearing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here