News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodack bearcat  (Read 904 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodack bearcat
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:51:27 PM »
What would be a good engine for the brodack bearcat kit? never flew a carrier ,want to give it a try . Not looking for an advanced contest type setup, just something to get started in carrier. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Brodack bearcat
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
An FP35 R/C might be nice for a sport carrier plane. One of our guys has that combo and its an excellent flyer. Also a Thunder Tigre 36 R/C with an OS carb.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:56:29 PM »
I would strongly recommend the Thunder Tiger 36. There are a couple of people in my area that have used these both to get started and in later contests. Its relatively strong, easy to set up and reliable. All good things for carrier.

Good luck and have fun with carrier.
Bob Frogner

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:34:14 PM »
If you have a 35 FP, go ahead and use it.  If performance is what you are after, Thunder Tiger or Magnum 36.  Other options are the ST34 or OS 32.  Performance is pretty good on either of these also. 

As far as your choice of aircraft, if the F8F hasn't been purchased, might want to consider the Brodak Guardian.  It's a better designed kit and will hold up better with its fuselage mounted gear.  Also fully competitive in profile.  If you want to put an internal line slider in it, the hardware is available from Brodak (and well worth the price).  If you want to stay with Sportsman Carrier, (at least in SoCal) no line slider is necessary.

The Bearcat is a re-make of the old Robert/Smurthwaith design.  Nothing wrong with that except not enough wing area for the modern profile event and they did have some "quirks" regarding to building that I believe were carried forward in the Brodak version.  It will also not fly as good as the Guardian. Good choice for nostalgia carrier or profile scale though.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:18:19 AM »
     The Thunder Tiger ''Pro'' 36 would be my preferred engine for a Profile carrier plane as this time. At $77 (Tower Hoobies) it is cheap for the quality you get, easy to get parts for if needed and there standard carb. works quite well as it has 2 adjustable needles (HS,and LS) and is not a air bleed like the OS-FP series. The Super Tiger G-34 is $7 less, but from my experience does not come close to the TT PRO 36's performance. The performance of the TT PRO 36 also comes in a very docole package (its real easy to use).
     I think Pete gave you pretty good info on the plane. The Bearcat sure looks good but the wing has 306'' of wing area and that is a bit small. Such a pretty plane though, and if you already have it I would wash the tips out a bit so the LS would be easier to handle and go for it. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:15:56 PM »
Just a couple of extra notes on the Guardian (it was my first carrier plane and works very well).

If you build the Guardian there are some things that you shold change from the original plans (these suggestions came from Bill Calkins who designed the plane).

Narrow the fuselage by 3/8" in height for the full length front to back. Just cut 3/8 out of the middle.

Cut off the tips one rib short. In other words move the tips in one rib.

Put the belcrank outside the wing. Preferred in under the wing. Its much easier to do and you can adjust things much easier. It also allows you to put a slider on now or later that can go further back. If you so desire.

My own suggestion is to thin the airfoil a bit too. It will help with high speed.

Other than that the plane is good as it is. It hangs easily and is very stable.

Good luck on what ever plane you choose.
Bob Frogner

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »
Thanks for all the info.   John
AMA 874027

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here