News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Hawk Models is about to enter the carrier kit field  (Read 3454 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Black Hawk Models is about to enter the carrier kit field
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
          We have contracted with Walt Musciano to design us a new carrier plane and we are hoping to get into production by mid to late 2009. I asked for a profile of moderate size, he said that he was working on a 52" wing.....hum that may not work .......but we will see.
          I will post new info as I get it.
          We are also looking at a .09 to a .15 size for some fun carrier. Something for new guys to try out. Low cost and easy.
          When we brought out the Perky in Speed events we got a lot of new people trying their hand at flying speed. Maybe we can come up with something that will get them to try carrier. We will see.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Black Hawk Models is about to enter the carrier kit field
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:13 AM »
44" is the max wingspan for Class I & II.

50" for Profile with a 300 square inch minimum.

No limits on 15 size.
Paul Smith

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
          We are also looking at a .09 to a .15 size for some fun carrier. Something for new guys to try out. Low cost and easy.
          When we brought out the Perky in Speed events we got a lot of new people trying their hand at flying speed. Maybe we can come up with something that will get them to try carrier. We will see.
[/quote]

Larry, check out the thread about a new carrier postal contest in this section of the stunthanger . We have nerly 30 people already interested. your addition of a .15 size carrier ship cpuld add even more. Feel free to copy the tenative rules for addition into the kits.
Joe Just

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
Joe,
         That is very interesting and I will definitely post it on my web site and in our kits. The only thing is that I will need more info for the people who want to compete but are not AMA members. I think that if they are allowed to compete it will not only bring more people into carrier but also introduce them to the AMA. These are good things.
Thank You
Larry

Joejust

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
Larry, The 2009 Carrier postal contest is not an AMA sanctioned event.  The rules are partly from the AMA rule book, but have been adapted. Right now we are accepting entries from Canada and possibly England. There is no requirement for AMA membership.  Our purpose is to get new people into flying carrier by giving them an entry level contest that will take place over 60 days, on their own field, at their leisure, with prizes offered not only to the top score, but also the lowest score and the grand prize will go to that entry that is closest to the contest entry average.  Keep promoting and we will of course over any help we can.

Joe Just

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
Joe,
        I read over the rules and while I am aware that this is not AMA sanctioned contest there several places that refer to the use of AMA rules in the contest. One example is: High speed and low speed  times will use the AMA rules for conversion into a mathematical score. 
        There a few other places that are similar and I will need these explained or copied from the AMA book. We will be advertising in England, Portugal, and Australia. I am sure that I will be addressing many, mu self included, who do not have an AMA rule book to reasurch these points.
         I am exicited about this contest, I do wish that that would be a longer time span to allow the building, test flying and competing.
Thank You
Larry

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:43:08 AM »
....who do not have an AMA rule book to reasurch these points. ...

All of the AMA rules are on the AMA website: http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/compreg.aspx No rule book is needed and anybody (AMA member or not) can access them.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:30:55 AM »
Larry,

Short of actually getting The Rule Book, here's the quick & dirty of scoring.

Lets assume you go 80 MPH high (7 laps from a standing start), and 20 MPH low (7 laps from when you signal for timing).

Your HIGH points simply equal MPH = 80 points.

Your LOW points are HI/LOW times 10:  80/20 = 4 * 10 = 40 points.

So your HILO score is 120 points. 

You get 100 points for a proper landing and less points for a defective landing.

In Class I & II you get 100 points (all or nothing for scale).

In Profile you get 10 points (all or nothing) for scale.

20 points for multi engine (assuming they keep running).

15's use short lines and 8 laps.

You can find more in five pages of fine print, but not much more.

Paul Smith

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
I would like to see more people interested in Carrier, there have been stalwarts such as Pete Mazur, Bill Calkins, John Vlna, Gary Hull and others who have plodded on continuously, they've seen others, such as myself,(blush) and others wane in enthusiasm. Luckily, there's relatively new folks like Eric Connely, Burt Brokaw and Bob Frogner who have carried the torch. To the point- Carrier is a tough discipline, it has always been a technological hobby, it takes one main ingredient for success at any level- a mentor who shows others how it's done. Alone, you can build a profile or other simple plane and be pretty sure of some measure of success, but without help, Carrier can be pretty frustrating. How many of us know that there are three different bellcranks for Carrier? Three lines and a throttled engine is just the start. All the throws, bellcrank travel, throttle arm, mixture(especially low speed) have to be made adjustable, in the field. If anyone is going to bring an entry level kit into the world it better have all external controls, the reason is obvious. A good 50% of all Carrier flights I've watched have a successful high-speed followed by a flameout transitioning to low speed. Tanks can be as simple as a stunt tank, or a maze of copper tubing connecting shapes that would befuddle a moonshiner. The most helpless feeling in the world is an engine stoppage just as you apply a little throttle. Finally, and this I've seen to be a heart-breaker- If we pulltest our ships as the AMA dictates, very few, if any, kit built planes will survive the test. If it's a Carrier plane designed for Carrier, it certainly should, but I've seen family projects come to a screeching halt when the guts were yanked out on contest day. (Don't go to contests?) I know I'm coming across negatively, and I don't mean to be, but there are issues that need to be taken into account.

One day in Dallas, we saw this new guy  doing hit and runs with his throttle-controlled P51. He had certainly passed all the hurdles without help. Who was this guy, Anyhow? But with a little help, three years later, Kelly Hite went home with the Ely Plate.

And getting  the needed parts, bellcranks, handles is a no-brainer these days. Brodak Mfg sells all three bellcranks and throttle handles, and backs up their products 100%.  Respectfully, dale gleason

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »
     Boy do I hear you loud and clear Dale.When I started flying carrier there was a good group of fliers (WAM) that I could watch and ask questions from. Also I got a hold of one of the early Editors of the high/low news letter and he sent me all of the old additions of the news letter that he could dig up. There were a lot of how to articles in those early news letter contrary to what we see now. I make a big effort to help anyone that asks for it but I suppose some people don't know the questions to ask or are to self conscious to ask.
     I have been putting together a "how I build and fly carrier planes" pamphlet that explains what "I" did to get into carrier and all the things I do and think are important to succeed in carrier. As I pretty much fly by myself and build without much contact with other fliers its pretty much how "I" do it and certainly doesn't have every way you could do it. As soon as I get through with it I'm thinking of sending it out to certain clubs and individuals that I think may be interested in furthering carrier competion for them to copy and send out to anyone they think may be interest in this event.
     It will be pointed toward the competion flier but should hep anyone that would like to fly in any of the carrier events that are out there now. It is up to a hundred pages now and I think I have maybe another 30+ pages to go before it will be ready. I hope all the guys that are interested in this great event will keep posting here and ask any questions they want. eric

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
Larry
Black Hawk Models

While I wish you well with your carrier models, I disagree with your assertion that a 15 size Carrier bird is "low cost and easy." Everyone I've talked to has told me that the 15 size models are more difficult to fly than the larger planes, and a 15 is only marginally cheaper than a 46 ($70 vs. $80 for an OS at Tower for example).

Cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »
     You are right, and that is ashame. This is the reason that in a few short years you will only be able to get Ready to Fly electric radio control planes. No more gas powered control line , no more carrier.
Larry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:11:18 PM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »
While I wish you well with your carrier models, I disagree with your assertion that a 15 size Carrier bird is "low cost and easy." Everyone I've talked to has told me that the 15 size models are more difficult to fly than the larger planes, and a 15 is only marginally cheaper than a 46 ($70 vs. $80 for an OS at Tower for example).

Cheers,
Ken

I don't know who you've talked to but any class is what you make of it - .15 is no harder to fly that profile given a plane that is set up to do it.   I've have had many 'first time' (carrier) fliers flying 20-25 second laps shortly after picking up a 3-line handle for the first time.   The plane is dead ugly but very reliable and capable of 4 minute lows and 'max' high speeds at any contest and in winds that would keep others from flying at all.   Of course, I've had others that were not particularly well suited to carrier and consequently were 'hard' to fly well - but scale them up to Profile size and they would still be hard to fly well and much more expensive, to boot.

Cost is also relative - decent engines are more expensive than, shall we say, sportier types but the Fox schneurle can be had brand new for about $50 and is competitive out of the box.  Cox Conquest can be found for reasonable prices and many other .15's can be used even if they can't get up to 70 mph, they can still put in a reliable flight with a good low speed.  Contrast that with a $275 Nelson for profile or a  Webra .36 at $130 to $150 new and .15 looks like a bargain. Even a Thunder Tiger .36, new in the box, will probably run you more than a couple of useable .15's.

In short, if you choose to make .15 expensive and hard to fly, then I guess it can be, but who would do it?   The secret to any carrier event is to fly the plane - a lot.  If your plane isn't much fun to fly, then you won't fly it much and you won't do very well when you do take it to a contest.

MHO -

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »
Of course, if you hope to win in either 15 Profile or 36 profile, you'll have to add in a few hundred bucks for a left hand crankshaft conversion, unless you have the tooling make your own.

The left hand crank is a gapping loophole to allow big bucks to dominate the "economy" events.  Of course, you don't need one if you just want to donate your entry fee and lose.
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 04:12:55 AM »
I have been flying Carrier for a long time, flown 1,2 and profile. I strayed away from the event after persuing trophies and the competition. So what do I do for a change I try stunt but what changed was the constant need to win. I fly stunt and back to carrier again for the fun of it and do enter contest for improvement. Contests are a good gauge for improvement. Point is if you want to fly an event to win you need to loose and if you can't stand loosing to someone you spend more money and time to win. Thats competition, last time I checked! IMHO the entry level events have done nothing but add an event and those that seek to win will win and those that seek improvement will improve. I can tell you I have had it with "Everybody Has to win something attitude". Lets get on with improving and if someone gets left behind so what, they will find something else and if they don't to bad for them. Let's step up to the plate.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 06:58:14 AM »
Of course, if you hope to win in either 15 Profile or 36 profile, you'll have to add in a few hundred bucks for a left hand crankshaft conversion, unless you have the tooling make your own.

The left hand crank is a gapping loophole to allow big bucks to dominate the "economy" events.  Of course, you don't need one if you just want to donate your entry fee and lose.

R%%%%
You mean I've been flying carrier for 35 years, and all I had to do to guarantee a win was put in a left-hand crank?   Wait a minute - come to think of it, I have seen one or two, but if I remember correctly, when I did lose to them it was because I flew a crappy flight.  WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE - come to think of it, I usually fly crappy flights when I have not flown in some time ... so if I buy a left hand crank (and somehow manage to find some useable left-hand props), I can quit flying carrier except when I'm called to the deck to take my official flights ... think of the fuel savings (probably make up the cost of the crank in one year)  ... think of the reduced repair and build time ... think of the added stunt practice time I'll have ... This is beginning to look like a really good investment ...
 R%%%%

.... sorry, sometimes I get lost in my own whining ... I wonder if we can justify line sliders in some similar manner ...   S?P

Now I'm really ashamed of myself.

@
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »
Just an added note - I do respect Paul's right to his opinion.  If he thinks left-hand cranks are bad for the event, then he has every right to think so.  One of the things that I've always LIKED about the carrier event is the lack of restrictions on technical improvements - if we were to go around banning every idea that pops up, the only people still flying the event would be those who could get a red-head McCoy and manage a low speed with a two-needle intake and a flapper valve.

The 'economy' events have speed limits - in my opinion, that is enough.  I don't happen to think that a left-hand crank is anymore against the "spirit of the event" than would be flying a Nelson in .15 or Skyray.  That's why they are called 'unofficial' events and flown to local rules.

So, I apologize for the rant to those who feel attacked by it, but I stand by my opinion that the event (or ANY event) is only worth pursuing if you put some effort into it.  What is BAD for any event is when the only people who fly it anymore are the ones who can pull a twenty-year-old plane off the wall and head for the contest circle - and who quit flying it when their twenty-year-old plane is no longer flyable.

For the record, if I had any engines that would benefit from a left-hand crank, I would probably be on the hunt for one ......   but I don't   ....... and it's still fun flying carrier   ....  imagine that.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
R%%%%
... so if I buy a left hand crank (and somehow manage to find some useable left-hand props), I can quit flying carrier except when I'm called to the deck to take my official flights ...
@

While a left-hand crank does not "guarantee a win", it must give enough of an advantage that guys who crave the advantage spend a lot of money to get one.

As I see it, Classes I & II are "wide open" to all the technology and money you care throw at them.  It would be nice Profile had stuck to it's original rules as flown by many people up until 1975, rather open the floodgates to unlimited engines in 1976 and cut the entry level to single digits nationwide.

ps: The original rule was a stock plain-bearing RC engine with the throttle it came with.  The current rule is simply "any 36".  Under the old rule you could actually buy a $50 engine and have a fair chance to win.

Similarly, 15 was sold as an event where you could just buy a used engine for $50, but left open to the custom crankshaft, this giving it to the same few hard core winners.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:13:14 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
While a left-hand crank does not "guarantee a win", it must give enough of an advantage that guys who crave the advantage spend a lot of more to get one.

As I see it, Classes I & II are "wide open" to all the technology and money you care throw at them.  It would be nice Profile had stuck to it's original rules as flown by many people up until 1975, rather open the floodgates to unlimited engines in 1976 can cut the entry level to single digits nationwide.

ps: The original rule was a stock plain-bearing RC engine with the throttle it came with.  The current rule is simply "any 36".  Under the old rule you could actually buy a $50 engine and have a fair chance to win.

Similarly, 15 was sold as an event where you could just buy a used engine for $50, but left open to the custom crankshaft, this giving it to the same few hard core winners.

.15 was never an event where you could "just buy a used engine for $50" - the very first .15 models I ever saw (Jerry DeNeau and Dave Rolley - the inventors of the event) had old Rossi Goodyear engines - modified by George Aldrich, if memory serves.  Jerry told me that he thought the 70 mph speed limit was a sufficient "levelling" mechanism.  In fact, at that time we (locally) started allowing cross-flow .19's as a way to keep people interested in the event - because a Veco .19 can be made to run pretty hard.  The left-hand cranks (at the time, you could get Duke Fox to cut a left-hand crank for a Schneurle .15) were more a limiting factor due to the lack of props than anything else - the only thing they do is make it (ever so slightly) easier to trim for very slow flight .. nothing more.  Like I said, the money spent on Nelson's in the "limited" events is just as much a head-turner and much more wide spread than left hand cranks.

Profile's engine restrictions were, quite frankly, no more effective at making a box stock engine competitive than the "Fox Race" box stock rules -- He who can afford the most boxes will win (most of the time).   Do you not remember the magazine article on all the hopping up one could do to a "box stock" engine and how to do it?

In any case, the rules are now set in concrete - there will be no changing to outlaw something that has been around for 20 years - one can either stay home and sulk or get out and fly.   Your opinion or my opinion won't change any more minds ...  so as soon as the weather clears up, I'm going to get out and fly.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
".15 was never an event where you could "just buy a used engine for $50" - the very first .15 models I ever saw (Jerry DeNeau and Dave Rolley - the inventors of the event) had old Rossi Goodyear engines - modified by George Aldrich, if memory serves.  Jerry told me that he thought the 70 mph speed limit was a sufficient "levelling" mechanism.  In fact, at that time we (locally) started allowing cross-flow .19's as a way to keep people interested in the event - because a Veco .19 can be made to run pretty hard.  The left-hand cranks (at the time, you could get Duke Fox to cut a left-hand crank for a Schneurle .15) were more a limiting factor due to the lack of props than anything else - the only thing they do is make it (ever so slightly) easier to trim for very slow flight .. nothing more.  Like I said, the money spent on Nelson's in the "limited" events is just as much a head-turner and much more wide spread than left hand cranks."

I have to make a correction - I don't remember if it was Jerry and Dave running the Rossi's or not - it was at the very first .15 carrier event that I ever attended (which I think would have been the very first .15 event outside the Denver area - probably Topeka).  Jerry and Dave were there (and so were the Rossi's), but I don't remember who all was running what engines at that time.  The point remains the same -- the names of the contestants are subject to 'better memory cells' than I have anymore.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
Hi Mike,

Our thoughts were to provide a starting point that allowed folks to use engines they already had.  So we targeted ex-Goodyear engines because Goodyear was staring to die off in the Denver area.  We tried Fox engines, ST engines, and HB engines first.  Gerry settled on a Cox Conquest.  I settled on an OPS 15.  Other than the carbs, the engines were stock.  Other folks took the ex-Goodyear engine approach much more seriously.  I still have that old OPS 15 on a 15 Carrier.  The engine must be 25 years old by now.  That engine didn't like 10% nitro (used that while I was working in California a few years back).  It loves 40% and has a wonderful idle on that mix. 

Interestingly the original speed limit for high speed has stood up pretty well.  It takes a good engine to get there but doesn't require a killer engine to do it.  That was one of our goals.

Dave

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
Hi Dave-

I remember the OPS now - I remember that it ran real well when you got it down on the plains - I never made the Denver contest, so I don't know how it did there.

I hope I didn't put words in your (and Jerry's) mouth, but I was trying to make the point that Left-Hand cranks are not the evil -- what was the word -- loophole that some will never tire of trying to point out.  And that even Jerry wasn't exactly flying a 15 year old Enya.

I'm afraid that we've dragged this thread too far off topic to save it, but in the spirit of trying, I'll not comment further - in this thread - except to postings regarding the Blackhawk Models kits, which I look forward to seeing.

If Larry sees this, I hope that the carping (my own included) has not put him off the project altogether.  I may want to try one of his kits WITH AN ELECTRIC MOTOR for .15    S?P

sorry

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
     We are currently working on 3 models, for carrier, and of those three none would be tops on a list of models to take to the nationals. I am not sure of how many will make it out of testing for futher evaluation. One is now depending on us getting a good deal on an engine that will be included with the model, the other two are still in drafting; one is awaiting a set ribs fron the laser cutter. I had hoped that this would be a quick and easy project but it is more compeex that I had hoped. My goal has never been to compete, only to offer a taste of carrier to those who want to try it for the first time.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:38 PM »
Just a thought Larry:  Include a version with the correct Brodak 3 line Bellcrank and very specific instructions as to the throttle and tail hook rigging.  This is the part that trips up most beginners. Perhaps you could get Brodak on board and include a coupon for a discount on a throttle handle and a set of  3 60' lines with each kit.   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 09:18:06 AM »
Just a note on the left hand crank discussion: I don't run reverse rotation in any of the three classes and have been pretty successful that way. Bill Melton didn't run left handed either. In fact, he took one of Carlos Aloise left-hand engines and tested it against his own right hand engines. He found that he lost a lot in low speed performance with the left hand crank. So maybe the level of success depends more on just  how you have things set up than on the rotation direction.
Early on, I found that running reverse rotation on my electric Skyray was helpful. This is probably because the motors tend to be slow turning, high torque and the greatly increased torque that we have to deal with can cause a roll-stability problem when pulsing the throttle. But that was back in the early days when my Skyray was not working very well and I didn't much know how to fly it. I seem to have it trimmed a lot better now so maybe I should try a normal rotation flight and see if it is really much different. As soon as the snow goes away. This would make it easier to buy props.
Pete

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
     We are currently working on 3 models, for carrier, and of those three none would be tops on a list of models to take to the nationals. I am not sure of how many will make it out of testing for futher evaluation. One is now depending on us getting a good deal on an engine that will be included with the model, the other two are still in drafting; one is awaiting a set ribs fron the laser cutter. I had hoped that this would be a quick and easy project but it is more compeex that I had hoped. My goal has never been to compete, only to offer a taste of carrier to those who want to try it for the first time.
Larry
Black Hawk Models

I'm not looking for something to take to the Nats -- I'm looking for something to take to the field, roll out the lines and fly.  Or better yet, roll out the lines, give the handle to someone else and let him/her fly.  It should be stable, easy to trim and take a wide variety of engines (and yes, electric motors).  Something to get some new faces to record a score and send it to Joe for the Postal Contest.  Something to let a bystander kid (and his dad) fly.  Something that, when that kid says "Where can I get one of those", I can give him a source of the kit, the engine (or motor), and that is pretty much all he'll need.  Especially if he can build it pretty much on his own, in a few nights and with one bottle of glue.  I think that I can get a couple of brand new faces out flying at our field if something like that could be "bottled".

I do realize that your timetable probably won't mesh with Joe's postal contest this year, but it will next year.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
An easily built kit that addressed some of the mechanical headaches of Carrier,ie, motor, linkages, bellcrank, arresting hook, tank, etc, would go a long way toward creating a rewarding experience for those just beginning. Toss in someone experienced to help and a happy camper would be guaranteed.
FWIW,
dale gleason

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »
An easily built kit that addressed some of the mechanical headaches of Carrier,ie, motor, linkages, bellcrank, arresting hook, tank, etc, would go a long way toward creating a rewarding experience for those just beginning. Toss in someone experienced to help and a happy camper would be guaranteed.
FWIW,
dale gleason

All of the above, plus a NEW carrier event with just ONE standard STOCK engine, such as the LA 25 is what's needed. 
While the above-listed items are hurdles, the need for an unobtainable engine is a Chinese wall.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
There will always be someone that finds the loop hole in any rules making an event.  I remember Bill Bishoff disqualifying himself after winning the Foxy event at the NATS with an engine he purchased off someone else that was suppesed to be stock.  As with 15 carrier and SkyRay carrier the speed limits do not keep the guys from winning that practice and fly.

I vaguely remember when George Lieb was flying carrier, that he had more young kids that would just do touch and goes with a throttle controlled airplane.  I think he has as well as myself have been very dicouraged in carrier when you try to come up with something to get people to flying, let alone practice.  I don't practice as such when and if I something set up to run.

To me hanging an airplane in carrier is not scale flight, even tho I watched a Navy fighter fly the length of the runway at an airshow in a nose high attitude.  Afterwards when I got to talk to the pilot I asked him about the nose high attitude as far as landing.  He started laughing and stated if he tried to land like that the plane would be a loss as the gear would collapse if he happended to catch a wire. 

When Larry get the kit going I may get the kids one to play with throttle control.  Now when I want to hang a plane I will pull the Bi-Slob off the hook.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

david smith

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »
I agree with hanging an airplane is not scale but I also enjoy the challenge of flying like that.  I think that it takes some different skills to do that and is definitely alot more complicated.  That could be part of the problem as to why carrier isnt as popular as it once was. When I fly my profile spearfish I usually get quite an audience, even some of the rc guys will come over to the circles to watch and find out what was making all that racket.  Everybody wants to look at it and see how everything works and they tell me how cool it is, but they all say the same thing when I ask them if they would want to try it "Thats way to complicated for me." I try to explain to them about .15 and skyray carrier but they have already seen the "more complicated" plane and are convinced they wouldnt be able to fly carrier.  I think that if there was a good source for an actual carrier specific kit or possibly even an arf for a 15 size plane that is just basic, just throttle and hook, then we could possibly attract some more people.  Well Im done good luk and I hope to see something soon.
David

Joejust

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:33 AM »
David, stay tuned, your wishes may just be coming.  An anouncement by late June will be coming.

Joe Just

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »
Well, JOe old buddy, remember sometimes we agreed to disagree right?
DISCLAIMER  THIS RANT IS NOT POINTED AT ANY ONE PERSON DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE BECAUSE YOU THINK I AM POINTING AT YOU (whoever you may be,, I have talked to several people about carrier so dont assume its you I am talking about please!)
for ME, I have NO interest in a .15 sized carrier plane, not to any degree, I suppose If someone gave me a chance to fly one I would do it, but you would not find me building something for .15 carrier as an entry level plane. I could be wrong, but the thought of a plane that small trying to fight the wind  in slow speed, and maintain line tension,, NOPE I want something with a 35 on it,, say profile,, or nostalgia, I just dont want to fly that small of a plane, I could be a rare commodity, but most of the stunt guys I talked to feel the same, nobody has a 15 in their arsenal, let alone a .15 with a carb! however, most of the guys have 35 or 40 sized motors,, LOTS of FP 40s around. If you want to get people to fly carrier, give them something they can build and fly simply,, like a profile with a .40 on it,, oh wait, cant do that  the motors to big! Yeah there are hurdles,, Joe can attest that I have talked about carrier since I started flying again two years ago. I get discouraged every time I look at doing carrier. It seems that when I ask questions about BUILDING, and what to BUILD, how to set it up I keep getting these political rants about some mysterious rule change that ruined Carrier!!!  LIKE I CARE I wasn't there, am not there and want to move ahead. if you want people to fly carrier, SUPPORT like the stunt guys do,, make a source that gives clear definitive answers to serious questions like which of the dozen bellcranks does a guy need,, how do you set it up, how do you set the tailhook up,, whats a GOOD multipurpose airframe.
Again this spring I was set to build a carrier plane, even went so far as to by a NIB Kand B 5.8 based upon the recommendations of someone who flew and held records in the events. then i have two people tell me nope thats not good, THen I ask about a bellcrank, and get a rant about some rule,, and then no answer on the bellcrank deal, I don't have time nor inclination to build my own bellcrank, I want SIMPLE and straightforward.It is very frustrating!! So, looks like I will AGAIN put off building a carrier airplane this year out of frustration and a lack of meaningfull assistance.  HB~> HB~>
NOW please keep in mind, there may be valid help and info around, but for someone who wants to try it, it sure is hard to get a a straight answer. R%%%%
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »
Mark,

I do agree that sometimes I think there are more " R%%%% " er's out there than there are actual carrier flyers.

I think our club (Treetown) carries a large fraction of the actual carrier competitors out there--Pete Mazur, Bill Calkins, and occasionally Skip Spoula. I know they would bend over backward (and maybe other way too---no I won't choose that emoticon!!!) to get some more carrier flyers.

But maybe this model may be just what the doctor ordered to at least get some people back into flying a version of carrier. Gotta be good.
(Actually I really like the 15 sized planes, a lot of fun to fly).

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »
     Thank you David for being a guy thats not afraid of the hang. It might not look so scale but it is a heck of lot more scale than watching someone flying around the circle at 40mph and then trying to hook up on their dive at the deck maneuver. Now if the deck were moving forward (like into the wind) at 25mph then that would be more like scale but for some reason no one has figured out how to do that (and those decks are hard enough to set up and take down) and I for one hope they don't.
     Now if you want to talk about how scale it feels to the carrier flier, the hang is not the big villain that the no-hangers want us to believe it is. As far as the use of the handle (angle of attach) and the throttle (whether the plane holding altitude or is going up or down) the control inputs are much closer to flying a real plane and make that portion of the flight much more fun.
     Your right about the comments of "oh that looks too complicated" when we show some of the curious the control systems on the carrier planes. I always kind of wonder how these people drove themselves to the flying field in their 4000 pound cars? Our planes deal with a little geometry, and some leverage, something most people should have learned in grammer school.
     Mark has a good point too about asking a question of a carrier flier and someone else will jump in and tell them that if the event were still flow the way it use to be flown they wouldn't even be asking their question??? All the while not ansewering the question at all because they don't have a clue what the ansewer is in the first place. Carrier has more nay-sayers than any AMA CL event and the people that do don't fly the event or haven't sense the hang came along around 40 years ago (40 frigging years ago)???
     And then there are the well meaning people that think if they dumb the event down enough people will come. I know they mean well and I hope they are right just a little bit but I have my doubts that they will generate interest in carrier or not (more power to them if they can pull it off). In my experience the planes I build just for carrier fly so much better than anything else out there that I think its a shame that we try to get these people to start flying carrier with planes we know will not fly well in the carrier maneuvers. No wonder a lot of would be carrier fliers get discouraged after their first try at this event.
     I would hope that any wont to be carrier flier that has questions about about this event would come on this forum and ask the question that is bothering them and I'm sure there will be someone that will ansewer it for them. And if done on the forum everyone will benefit form the questions and ansewers. eric

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »
Eric,
thanks for acknowledging that I have at least some validity in my observations. I fly PA, classic, profile, and this year up to advanced PA. I can build adequeatly,, can use monokote, have worked with hand tools and fabrication equipement my whole life, all i need is a little guidance!
so, that being said,, in my Rant post, there are at least three questions that I have tried to get answered, so take a stab at them,, I was looking for something I can fly in nostalgia, and profile,, possibly the brodak bearcat? like i say I have the 5.8 for power,, its there, Iam using it unless someone gives me a truly compelling reason not to,, but now, bellcrank? tailhook? which way to set throttle, pull push high speed? or maybe I should just wait another year,,,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »
     Hi Mark, I will start another topic called "three questions or more" and we wont morph this topic anymore than it has been. eric

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »
I don't mean to discourage Black Hawk, or anyone interested in flying Carrier...  I first looked into Carrier because I was already flying stunt and was spending hours doing nothing at contests between rounds.  I figured throwing in another event here and there would keep me busy.  I built a 15 carrier plane and got my feet wet.  I destroyed it before it had an official flight, and built another.  I also inherited a Skyray 35 setup for carrier from a club member.  I got a lot of really good help, from MANY people.  I flew both several times officially, had a lot of fun, but one thing really drove me away from the event.  Low participation.  Anytime I flew carrier I was always flying against much more experienced fliers, with much more advanced hardware, or I was the only one entered.  Once I got past the problem of how to setup the plane, and dealing with the carbed engine, take offs, and landings, etc it got really boring and hopeless.  I had to either invest heavily in better hardware, practice, etc to really see any marked improvement... Or just keep showing up with the same old planes that hadn't been flown since the last contest, and nevermind that it was always the same.  I got tired of it cause there was no where to go.  No skill classes, no such thing as a entry or mid level event...  It'd be like if anyone interested in stunt had to jump into Expert and try to make a go of it.  A simple, all inclusive kit, couldn't hurt.  It might just stir up interest and with an influx of new fliers it'd be much more interesting.

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
The Navy Carrier Society encourages the Sportsman Profile Carrier event and even sponsors it at the Nationals. Same rules as AMA profile but limited to people who won't be entering AMA profile at the same event. This turns out to be the combination of a beginners skill class with people who prefer not to take the event seriously and may not have the most competitive equipment or flying style. A good place to enter a Bearcat, for example. In the Midwest, most of the Carrier contests include Sportsman, whether or not turnout is strong. Trophies are cheap and we don't mind having a few left over every year if we get any entries at all. It would be great if you could get the local contest management to include Sportsman in their contests. It's no extra work and, as I said, trophies are cheap.
By the way, the serious, experienced competitors with the latest stuff do not enter Sportsman. We have never needed to tell anyone he should move up. The more usual problem is that people who probably should enter Sportsman tend to enter AMA Profile instead. Sometimes we hand a Stunt Grunt or Racer or Combat guy a handle and enter them in Sportsman with a Skyray or something like that set up for Carrier. We all have a blast.
Pete

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
"It'd be like if anyone interested in stunt had to jump into Expert and try to make a go of it."

That's the way it used to be, except age classes only, and there were "experts" at every level.  The participation categories in Stunt are a good indication of how skill classes can help participation.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Joejust

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
Mark I think i have an answer for you. Why not buy a profile carier plane.  Todd may even be willing to part with the first MO-1 he had, the one with my old 5.8 on board. Perhaps even Mike or Eric would be willing to part with an older "hanger Queen" and then you could enter it at the regionals or in Portland in April. There is no BOM  rule in carrier. Once you had a plane that someone had setup you would be able to reproduce anything your heart deired if you find out you reaally like carrier.  If you do like it then your consideable building skills can be put into play for 2010.  If you end up "hooked" your cpmpetitive spirt would be a welcom addition to the NW carier scene, and in a year or so you could be right up there with the best. If you decided that carrier wasn't your cup of tea then you wouldn't be out time,energy and building time that would get into the way of developing better and more competitive stunt ships.

I would offer you a chance to borrow one of my planes  LL~, but I dont want you to be laughed at.

Joe Just

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here