News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best two engines from this list?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Best two engines from this list?
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:05:19 AM »
I'm finishing a Sterling C-9 Corsair for Nostalgia/Class 1 and also have a nice Guardian kit that would be great for Class1 too.
From my collection of old crap I have a Torp 8011 Pattern 40 R/C, a RI Torp 40 R/C, a Tigre G40 RI R/C and a OS40FSR R/C. I know the older engines won't idle as well as the FSR and the performance isn't as high on them old jobs either but there is that cool factor with an old engine and the Corsair just has to have an old engine, the Guardian can have the OS.
Whadda you guys think, how should i go?
Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Best two engines from this list?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:47 AM »
Chris, I'll vote! I would go with the 40 FSR #1, its reliable, heavy duty and has a good idling carb #4BK. Plus there are a lot of parts still around. #2 would be the RI 40 Torp, they were good carrier motors in there day and parts availability is still good. there were several differant sleeves and heads available. I ran mine with a Kavan pressure carb but you may have to find something else. The stock K&B carbs weren't very good but a Perry might work for you and are readily available. You will have to build that Sterling Guardian light but thats doable. Hope this helps.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
I'm finishing a Sterling C-9 Corsair for Nostalgia/Class 1 and also have a nice Guardian kit that would be great for Class1 too.
From my collection of old crap I have a Torp 8011 Pattern 40 R/C, a RI Torp 40 R/C, a Tigre G40 RI R/C and a OS40FSR R/C. I know the older engines won't idle as well as the FSR and the performance isn't as high on them old jobs either but there is that cool factor with an old engine and the Corsair just has to have an old engine, the Guardian can have the OS.
Whadda you guys think, how should i go?
Chris...

I have to vote for the RI Torp, too.  Mine ran and idled very well with a Perry "Large" carb.  IIRC, the Tigre's never really lived up to their reputations.  Dang, makes me want to dig mine out and run it on something ...

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »
For old style "COOL" the K&B is the way to go...having said that...The .45FSR is heavy but just
about indestructable and I had no problems making them purr...They are a handful new...but once
broken in well they are great.  Per Eric Conley's suggestion  and a bunch of others from here too
I have a couple of the Thunder Tiger .36's now plus I lucked onto a NIB Red Case Irvine .36 all
for profile obviously...I would have loved to have gotten a Nelson but at $425 I will wait until
next year when I have some more money and a few airframes to get one.  For ClassII I have a
real nice Webra Race .60 FIRE that should do fine...the Webra's tend to be heavy but are very
durable motors too.  My Flying Buddy Jim Catevenis from Gainesville Florida Liikes those K&B motors
too and nabbed a couple at our swap meet in March...Look for him to have a Carrier plane this summer.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
What fuel and prop would you guys use for the Torp and FSR.
Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
Chris, I for one stick with 10% fuel 50/50 blend like Powermaster 10/22. Has castor and synthetic. As for a prop APC is good as any 9x7 or 9/8 if the motor unloads with the 8 pitch. In the day the Rev-Up was king but there gone and break to easy so APC is my choice. I run a 9x7 APC on my profile that has the Irvine 36 and the Irvine seems to like it. I like the nostalgia thing and have a Class 2 set to go. I like it because thats the stuff I flew in the 70's. My favorite Class on was a TBD1 Devastator with a Torp 40. Didnt win very much bt it was fun. Attached is a picture of my nostalgia Class 2, Bill Boss 40" Guardian with a big bad Rossi 60. In the day we used to pump 50% thru them but they are to expensive to do that now. I have some old pictures. If I could learn how to scan correectly I would post some.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:14 AM »
You think that C-9 Corsair would be nice with an OS 61 FSR?

Thanks for the K&B fuel tips, props too. Gives me a good starting point. In the old instructions they recommend a 50/50 mix of K&B 1000 (20% nitro) and K&B Speed Fuel (I don't know...), which ads up to a lot more nitro than 10%!

My RI has the old Kavan-looking pressure carb set-up, I'll run it on the bench and see how I like it, or can even get it to work.

Seriously, that 61 looks tough, think I could ever bablance that Corsair with it in there?

Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:30:33 AM »
You think that C-9 Corsair would be nice with an OS 61 FSR?

Thanks for the K&B fuel tips, props too. Gives me a good starting point. In the old instructions they recommend a 50/50 mix of K&B 1000 (20% nitro) and K&B Speed Fuel (I don't know...), which ads up to a lot more nitro than 10%!

My RI has the old Kavan-looking pressure carb set-up, I'll run it on the bench and see how I like it, or can even get it to work.

Seriously, that 61 looks tough, think I could ever bablance that Corsair with it in there?

Chris...

BTW I never used the pressure relief valve on those Kavan pressure carbs. It was a real tough job coordinating the cam with the throttle barrel. I used straight pressure from the crankcase. Stick with the 10% blend for now.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
Thanks Wayne,
The RI carb is a K&B, it just looks like a Kavan. The engine has a pressure port to the case, and the carb has that longish velocity stack atop.

I will stay with the 10% nitro to start for sure.  What size fuel tank does one need for a typical 40 and 60 in Carrier?

The Guardian will receive the Torp RI, so I can more easily incorporate all of the stuff I want and have it turn out the way I want.

The Corsair, ugh...

Chris...

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
Thanks Wayne,
The RI carb is a K&B, it just looks like a Kavan. The engine has a pressure port to the case, and the carb has that longish velocity stack atop.

If you are referring to the stock "carb" that came with the engine it really is little more than an air cutoff.  It's purpose was to kill the engine  in an RC pylon racer after the race was over, not allow an idle  or have any mid-range.  Especially if you run pressure, you will really want to use a carb that meters the fuel at low speed - any of the more modern RC engines have very good carbs anymore and if you can score an older Kavan, that would also add to the 'cool' factor.  As I mentioned above, the idle was quite good with a Perry Large or a carb from a SuperTigre .60 would also work well.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
Thanks Mike,
If it doesn't work (looks like a normal barrel type carb) I'll have a back-up in the Perry. My 70's Quickie 500 K&B has one (it's a normal carb, not like a Formula 1 type) that slides right in.

How much fuel capacity should a guy have for a 40 and a 60?

Is 1/8th " wire gear enough for a Class 2?

Anyone have pictures of their favorite leadout to bellcrank attachment technique?

Thanks,
Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:14 PM »
I decided;
Sterling Corsair with a front rotor K&B 8011 40 with a Perry carb. Model to represent the XF4U, which the kit seems to follow anyway, in a lot of ways. This one is a pain to re-engineer and will be finished last.

SturdiBuilt Corsair with a K&B 61 series 75 pumper. Modeled as an F4U-7 in the French Navy scheme with Suez Canal conflict yellow and black stripes. This is such a nice kit, very complete and well engineered I'll build it now.

I'm going simple with hooks only, totally Nostalgia.

Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 04:22:16 AM »
Now, thats nostalgia. Post some pictures while you are working on it. maybe we can generate more carrier flyers by having in progress pictures.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Wayne. I'm painting dad's OTS Staggerwing and finishing an R/C ARF right now. Should be done mid month and I'll start a new bunch of projects including the Corsairs. I'll start a new thread for them, beginning with the SturdiBilt.
Thanks to all for the help on this subject.
Chris...   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here