News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginning Carrier  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Beginning Carrier
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:21:24 PM »
I have an old, beat up, Veco profile, I think it is the Crusader.  It needs covering, and gluing the rudder back on, but it is built and was flown to death.  I also have a 3 line handle, so all I need is to repair it, bolt on an engine, and learn how to fly with it.

If it all works out, what would the natural progression be in terms of moving up and actually competing?

Going to Profile Carrier next?  15 size profile?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Beginning Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
Bill,

Pretty much depends on what you intend in Carrier.

Profile is now mostly slow-hang, if you want to compete in the event. Personally, I don't see Carrier as a sport/fun non-contest way to do CL... So, powerful egine for hi-speed and prop-hanging for the next half hour or so. Luck of the wind counts heavy...

.15 Carrier - depending on the rules - bars most of the trick stuff: sliders, auxiliary control surfaces (tho those are mostly gone anyway because of the effectiveness of the sliders.)

For simple enjoyment, read through Keith T's post in the Scale section.

\BEST\LOU

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »
Bill,

As a relative newcomer (started in 2001) to carrier I would suggest the following if you want to fly in the event.

15 carrier is easy to build etc but the planes are actually harder to fly. They tend to be light and move about alot in any wind. What I would recommend would be to get a Brodak Guardian kit (or just the plans) build it with a couple of modifications that I got from Bill Calkins (he designed the kit). Put the controls on the bottom of the wing, not internal to the wing. Much easier to get to and adjust and you can get more line rake. Cut 3/8" out of the fuselage height, yeah just narrow it by taking a 3/8 strip out of the middle. Reduce the stab  height by the same amount. The rest is just as the plans show.  I might also suggest a single uniflow tank behind the motor and not the chicken hopper. I had some problems getting that to work right for me. It could have been just me not know what to do though. The slider works well and the hook mechanism is simple.

Get a Thunder Tiger 36, they are relatively cheap and are pretty powerfull yet very reliable. Reliability is really the key both in the motor and the plane. Many contests have been lost due to simple things not working correctly.

With this combination you can do well in Sportsman class in the first year of trying. If you keep the plane relatively light (under 40 oz) you should get 70 to 80 mph high speeds and the plane is capable of 3+ minute low speeds or more with some practice. 70 mph with a 3 min low and a landing is a score of 250 pts, very respectable in Sportsman.

One of the key elements to learning carrier, and getting into a hang is balance of the plane. I am convinced that anyone can hang a well balanced plane with a little practice. A badly balanced plane is a recipe for frustration. you want it as tail heavy as you can and still be able to fly it in high speed. In other words, the cg is very near to tail heavy but you can't have it too far back. I can't fly a beginner stunt pattern but learned to hang the plane without too much trouble. You don't have to be super flyer to do it. It just takes some time and practice. The other key is that things work smoothly, slider, hook and throttle. Get it right on the bench and the flying will be easy.

Let me know if that helps/encourages you or you have more questions. I like to promote the event, its a fun time and something a little different.
Bob Frogner

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:06 PM »
Hi Bob,

I know Bill C., so I could get some info from him.  y1  I have never flown a 3 line system in my 40 plus years of flying.  %^

I have all the equipment, juist need to get it all together and do it.  I was wondering if the Veco/Dumas Crusader Profile is eligible for any of the carrier events.  Even if it isn't, I thought it would be a starting point to learn how to fly the 3 line and catch the wire.  I do have an older Magnum 36 to learn on for the Crusader.

Profile Carrier seems to be the area I would want to look into first, so the Guardian might be the next project.

Nostalgia might be the class that would eventually interest me the most.  I do like "scale".  I am not inclined to "go for the gold" in Carrier, but the relative complexity does have a "pull" for me.

Thanks for your comments, I will take them to heart!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:04:54 PM »
Bill,

Duane Roche at the field I fly at built the Dumas Crusader. He did a real nice job too, its a complex build. Very nice looking plane too. It flew pretty well but seemed a little short coupled to hang very well although Duane didn't work it real hard. He got what he wanted out of it. If its what you have by all means give it a try. It would give you experience with the 3 line system and get you some air time. 

As far as the scale and nostalgia side, what ever floats your boat. I think all the classes are all cool and have something to work for. As in any hobby, do what you like, its  your hobby right?? Its a fun event. I enjoy getting the little bits to work right. Sometimes its frustrating but it feels so good when you get it right!!!

Give it a go!!!!
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:17:27 PM »
Hey Bob, have you ever seen a bi-slob? I was at the flying field in Reno and John Donaldson had a profile bi-slob with a LA46 in it with throtle. He let me fly it and man I dont know what to say other than a short plane can fly a carrier pattern with ease. I couldnt believe how well that plane flew in the hang, more stable than any of my carrier ships. Soooo Ive started to shorten my planes up a bit and so far dont notice any difference. eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here