News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basic carrier control line question  (Read 983 times)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
Basic carrier control line question
« on: June 28, 2023, 02:00:46 PM »
Got a noob question I wanted to put out there to the guys that may know. I am normally a sporty/combat/ and racing CL guy and I'm getting close to finishing my first carrier plane. Its an older Dumas Crusader. I'm going very old school and using 3 lines because I already have a 3 line control handle and didn't want to sacrifice an RC transmitter to do the current 2.4. The question is do you set the throttle for idle when the trigger is pulled back or the opposite? My gut feeling is I want the default position of the carb to be at full throttle in case the plane gets a bit loose on the lines. and I was going to install a light spring on the carb to load it to full throttle. So whats the correct install? Thx

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Basic carrier control line question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 03:29:00 PM »
It is a matter of preference but the J. Roberts instructions show full throttle with the trigger pulled back. Pushing the trigger forward slows the engine. This is how I set-up my planes.

Normally, the J. Roberts control unit pushes the throttle control rod forward for low speed. But, many R/C carbs operate the opposite way so I have to use some sort of reversing lever to get things to work right.

With the J. Roberts system there is no spring return. When properly made all three lines share the flight load and the throttle will stay in whatever position it is in if you relax your pull on the trigger.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bdt-m

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 07:46:36 PM »
Got a noob question I wanted to put out there to the guys that may know. I am normally a sporty/combat/ and racing CL guy and I'm getting close to finishing my first carrier plane. Its an older Dumas Crusader. I'm going very old school and using 3 lines because I already have a 3 line control handle and didn't want to sacrifice an RC transmitter to do the current 2.4. The question is do you set the throttle for idle when the trigger is pulled back or the opposite? My gut feeling is I want the default position of the carb to be at full throttle in case the plane gets a bit loose on the lines. and I was going to install a light spring on the carb to load it to full throttle. So whats the correct install? Thx

I would not recommend for the model's default setting to be "full throttle" when the plane gets a bit loose on the lines as you stated, this can result in a dangerous situation. When a carrier plane becomes loose on the lines, the model is not necessarily tangent to the circle, most of the time it is pointing inward, down, up or a combination of these characteristics, the model can 'snap' violently if full throttle is applied or the default.... IMO full throttle is the last option you want to employ.

Normally, as well as most of the time, pulling all the way back on the trigger is full throttle, pushing forward all the way is idle. All three lines are load bearing. Adding a rubber band or spring to the handles throttle lever to keep it forward in the idle position is also a way to insure idle is the set & default position at all times.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 09:33:54 PM »
I have learned to spring load the throttle arm on the J-Roberts handle.  It is set to pull the arm to towards the plane that is flying.  Use another arm on the plane to make the throttle work the way you want.  By the way if you use Brodak throttle bell cranks you need the arm to adlust for full throttle control as the J-Roberts handle has a different amount of movement than the later handles.  I have had low speed with throttle trigger forward and also have had it with trigger back.  It takes practice on which way you want the low and high speed.  If you read the carrier section on here you will see post about a lot of this. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 07:56:25 AM »
I always used the trigger back for high speed. I built a jig for the handle and bellcrank. The difference between the up/down and throttle length was the easy to compensate for in the lead outs, then all flying lines are of equal length. Today I find 2,4Ghz much easier and use  for all throttle planes.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 09:55:28 AM »
I believe "pull for HIGH" is the correct setup.

One benefit of this in both scale and carrier is that you can rig the controls so that you can't stop the engine with the throttle trigger.  Then at the end of the flight you can pull the middle line with your other hand and stop the engine at will.
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 01:46:56 PM »
Good catch Paul, I forgot that advantage, but that is exactly how I shut off my engines.
It it is good idea to be able to shut off the engine after landing. I have seen several people cut badly by slipping on the deck retrieving a running plane. The deck can get slippery after a while.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 09:35:44 PM »
As I have said before, this a matter of preference, not a matter of right and wrong. I was always set up with push for fast, like a full scale aircraft. I suggest that you pick up a handle, and without thinking about it, tell yourself to go to full throttle. You will instinctively go one way or the other. Whatever you do, keep doing it that way. You want it to be automatic, not something you have to think about. The system can be properly rigged to work in either direction. With 2.4, pull for fast seems correct, perhaps due to the physical similarity to slot cars controllers and drills. Not to mention, most transmitters have direction-reversing switches.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »
Rather than putting a spring on the aircraft, I'd make the control system as smooth and friction-free as possible -- this should make the throttle operate just fine.

Then don't lose line tension  >:D.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2023, 03:38:47 PM »
Spring-loaded at the handle would be a good setup.
Cars have the gas pedal spring-loaded to idle.  A setup with no springs either way is unnatural.

Think about pushing or pulling with just one finger.  You can pull a lot more with a single finger than you can push.

Spring loaded to idle at the airplane is a BAD setup.  How about is you are at 1/3 or 1/4 throttle and the airplane spring overcomes line pull.  Then the engine goes to idle and you take a bath
Paul Smith

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 05:42:52 AM »
I prefer a light rubber band to pull the trigger forward.  Worked pretty good for me. ;D

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 07:35:01 AM »
This has gotten me thinking.

If you are doing your best to hold onto to something that is pulling hard, which would be better?

Hang on with the grip of all ten fingers or grip with nine and push forward with nine?
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
A setup with no springs either way is unnatural.

Lawnmowers, tractors, full-scale aircraft, the throttles on RC planes, they're all set-and-forget.  Springs are natural for a piece of road machinery where idle is the fail-safe.  But Carrier planes don't normally belong on roads.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here