News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back by popular demand  (Read 2227 times)

Joejust

• Trade Count: (0)
Back by popular demand
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
The first run of 50 copies of the 14 page "How to get started in Navy Carrier" has been depleted. I have made another run of this article and it is available for $4.

Will this article make you a Regional or national Carrier champion?  NO, NO, and again NO! What it will do is to show a simple an inexpensive way of getting your feet wet in a very interesting method of flying control line planes.

Parts of the article show how to make your own three line bellcranks, set up the arresting hook, and even shows an example of a home made three line handle.

Hope this tweaks some interest in trying a great event, or simply shows another way of having FUN! y1

Send your mailinmg address to the following e-mail and your copy will go out at once. Payment can be made after recieving the article.

Joe Just

<ukeyman@justice.com>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Back by popular demand
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »
Guys/gals,   The article is worth every penny.   Thanks Joe,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:00:06 AM »
>What it will do is to show a simple an inexpensive way of getting your feet wet in a very interesting method of flying control line planes.

Joe,

Thanks for your efforts, but isn't getting your feet wet a 'Deep Six'?

Carrier is great fun! I wish there were an alternative to the ultimate possibilities in the event! A 60° hang, protracted for several minutes, doesn't appeal to me as much... Apologies to those who have mastered that... Perhaps the accidental effects of crosswind take too much out of the flier-to-flier thing?

Now, a 30° max hang angle?? Anyone interested in cranking up an Unofficial, informal event with that as a limit?? See if it attracts more new tail-hookers?

\BEST\LOU

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:51:09 PM »
Ya carrier is too hard! I'd fly stunt if it wasn't for all those hard to do maneuvers. How about a stunt contest where you do a wing over and two loops? S?P
mike potter

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
The Brits require a stripe on the side of their planes at 30 degrees to the horiz to provide a judging reference.  Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm a sometimes carrier flier.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:25:08 PM »
Ya carrier is too hard! I'd fly stunt if it wasn't for all those hard to do maneuvers. How about a stunt contest where you do a wing over and two loops? S?P

Mike,

I don't consider 'hanging' to be all that hard, certainly NOT too hard to come up with a winning LO-time. In fact, it may be more challenging to go for a good 'loiter' time at the lower angle, that looks a bit more realistic (to me)... It can make it more competitive, and less dependent on the luck of who got the "better" cross-wind during LO-speed laps...

MORE challenging, NOT less...

Of course, if you want to start a stunt event with just a wingover a a loop or two, because the full pattern is too hard for you, go right ahead.  ;)

I'll be watching with interest. If people like it and do it, in our hobby, it's gotta be good!
\BEST\LOU

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
To all: I was trying to be sarcastic! I think carrier has enough different styles of events to keep everyone happy. If you don't like 60 degrees don't enter that event, enter Skyray or nostalgia where most everyone doesn't try to hang. As for the event shrinking, yes all control line is and it will only get worse. Think about all your flying buddies. What do you think their average age is? I'll bet it is way over 50. Control line models are becoming dinosaurs and their is no saving them. Young people have not seen control line flown for all kinds of reasons so how could any of them possibly get interested? If even they did and went to a hobby shop some where the shop wouldn't have the supplies or knowledge to help. Am I being a bit negative? I suppose I am but I think it's the way it is. So kick back and enjoy it while it lasts and don't worry about changing the rules so newbies will have it easier. The newbies will no doubt learn to fly by the presant rules and just be fine with a little help which I think most of would be very willing to give.
                                                   So Fly On!   Mike
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:40:10 AM »
Mike, it is up to us old timers to get the message out to the youngsters.  I am trying with my grand kids.  So is Bill Rutherford with his grandkids.  It was great seeing Gordon DeLaney, David Fitzgerald and a few others with their kids at the NATS.  Of course we have to give up a little of our flying time to teach.  Ask Kaz Manato about his son.  I have stated before that I will give up flying to get more kids in the air.  A lot depends on the parents also.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »
To all: I was trying to be sarcastic! I think carrier has enough different styles of events to keep everyone happy. If you don't like 60 degrees don't enter that event, enter Skyray or nostalgia where most everyone doesn't try to hang.

Mike, the smiley at the end of that line was a wink - kidding from this side, too. Agree with your points on exposure to kids who aren't related to current fliers... Used to be we flew in schoolyards and ball fields, in neighborhoods where people were right close by. Can't do that anymore, just about anywhere.

In this age of enforced "tolerance" we are not allowed to tolerate things like "noisy" engines. Those must be silenced, or better, outlawed. You want to make noise? Do it the right way, pump out the mega-decibels in gangsta-rap with your car windows down, best when some church meeting is emptying out.

Otherwise, go buy some land out in the woods, where if an RC ARF falls, does anyone hear it?

It's NOT RC? Whut kinda freak are you?

I feel very fortunate that - for the present - my part of Arizona is not under the rule of the PC Gestapo, except perhaps about smoking tobacco, not so sure about the attitude on other smokables... SOME noise, out here, is tolerable!
\BEST\LOU

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »
You got my drift! y1
mike potter

Joejust

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »
There are only 14 copies of the article left. Because the article will be published in a national magazine there will not be any of these copies available after the last bunch is sold. If you want your copy please send for one today, because I can not send any out after the remaining 14 are gone.There seems to be some hidden interest in beginning carier flying. Right now over 80 people have requested info.  y1

Joe

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 11:07:05 PM »
Must be collectors! They sure ain't flyers. :-[  YET #^

Mike
mike potter

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
 mw~all you doom sayers just have fun with what you got, your most likely in your 60s and 70s any way and nurseing homes are just on the horizon any way so dont worry about all that stuff... H^^ VD~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here