News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are other event kits OK for Profile Carrier Bonus?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Are other event kits OK for Profile Carrier Bonus?
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
I'm only allowing so many hours to each venue so after reading all of the threads on this I'm still confused.
Are kits designed for sport or other events that conform to the timeline for bonus points allowed to get bonus points in Profile carrier?

Scenario, in 1973 (8th grade) I received a Guillows Trainer III, a JRoberts handle and bellcrank and an ST 35 R/C for Christmas. My parents conversed with Ron Duly about this combo as they wanted me to compete in an event that I would be interested in and this one combined semi-scale (I loved Scale) with flying in an interesting and demanding event (I didn't like Stunt so much, so they hoped this might bring out some independent desire). I loved the idea but never completed this model.

If I complete this model with my sheet wood mods to make it look like an F4F, will it qualify for the Profile Bonus Points?

Chris...   

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Are other event kits OK for Profile Carrier Bonus?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
You have to get straight which event you are talking about -

There are 3 AMA Rulebook events - Class 1, Class 2 and Profile.  To get scale points in Profile, your model must "Closely Resemble" the 3 view (that you COULD be required to show) in the Top View and the Side View.  It doesn't have to be built to any consistent scale (ie: it doesn't have to be 1":1' in every dimension).  If it does closely resemble the prototype "in the opinion of the event director", then you will receive 10 bonus points.

For "Sportsman" Profile carrier (where it is offered), generally the rules are the same as AMA profile, but you can only enter Sportsman OR AMA Profile, not both.  This is to give the Sportsman entrant an event that won't be dominated by expert flyers.

For NOSTALGIA profile carrier, there are NO SCALE bonus points - because in the 1974 rules, profile did not get scale bonus points.  There is a "Historic Model" bonus which has just been raised to 100 points.  Whether or not you receive this bonus is, at present, up to the event director, I guess.  Some say the model must have been designed as a carrier plane, others say any design that existed prior to 1978 can be entered and get the bonus if all other requirements are met.  From what I've read, this is still a cloudy issue.  One question that I would have regarding the Guillows trainer III- did it have 300 square inches?  I am not familiar with that plane in all its variations, and I would caution that regardless of whether or not it gets the historic model bonus, it needs to be at least 300 square inches to be entered at all.

Hopefully, this thread can avoid being dragged off to 'anti-slider-what's-wrong-with-carrier'-ville long enough to answer your question - I am also interested.

I will add this -- as the Contest Director of a May contest -- I have not made a decision yet on this issue but I am leaning towards giving the bonus to any pre-1978 design based on my own reading of the rules as they currently exist.  If another CD comes to the opposite conclusion, I wouldn't argue with him.  So, in your position, I would certainly find out in advance if your model will get the bonus -- at least you'll save yourself some disappointment.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
Hopefully this helps.

The Nostalgia Carrier rules read:

3.  Model Requirements:  Model design is unrestricted except as specified below and in the AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations.  To encourage models which accurately reproduce actual nostalgia era Navy Carrier models, bonus points are awarded.

I think the second sentence is pretty clear. I had preciously thought that any pre 1978 would get bonus points but upon reading through the rules again it is pretty clear that "nostalgia era Navy Carrier models" are needed for bonus points.
Bob Frogner

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »
I have to strongly disagree with the interpretation that only purpose designed Carrier models are eligible for the Historic Bonus. That has never been the case....Never. The following is an explanation issued by Dick Perry that prefaces his list of designs that qualify for the Bonus:

"NAVY CARRIER PLANS/KITS LISTING

This is a compilation of plans which have been published or are available commercially.  The listing contains models designed specifically for CL Navy Carrier as well as models designed for other events or for sport flying which can be adapted to the Navy Carrier events.  Unless noted otherwise, the models were originally designed as Carrier models.  In some cases plans are no longer available.  The date of original publication is provided to assist in locating original articles for reference or for reproducing plans which are out of print.  Wing span is given in inches rounded to the nearest inch.  Wing areas are approximate and are listed in square inches. 

At the end of the listing is an abbreviated compilation of kits produced prior to 1978.  This list is provided for documentation of models eligible for Nostalgia Navy Carrier competition.  Nostalgia Carrier is an unofficial event for models published or manufactured prior to 1 January 1978.

This list is based on information from personal reference sources, magazine plans listings, and materials contained in the library of the Academy of Model Aeronautics.  It is quite likely that there are other Navy Carrier models for which plans exist.  Additions to this listing can be made by contacting Dick Perry, 427 Live Oak Lane NE, Albuquerque NM  87122-1422;
E-mail:  tailhooker@comcast.net

This list is provided at no cost.  There are no restrictions to its distribution except that it be unmodified and that there should be no fee charged for such distribution."

In other words any kit or design, if available prior to Jan 1, 1978, that was Carrier legal qualifies for the bonus.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
http://navycarriersociety.org/Nostalgia.pdf

The rules have been up on the NCS site for a couple weeks now.  It's in pdf format, so I can't copy & paste paragraphs.

The 100-point historic bonus is a new deal and as shown by the Q & A, it's a long way from crystal clear.

It's pretty easy to prove whether a model is pre-1978 or not, as 'splained by the rules.  Proving if it ever flew as a carrier job is another matter.  Back in the days of film cameras, everything didn't get fo-grapped like today with these digital gadgets.  

In the interest of clean, contraversy-free contest management, giving the 100 points (in Nostalgia Profile) to any pre-1978 design would be the best path to take.

The real key elements are the fixed leadouts and low speed points, not whether a Flite Streak or Ringmaster was every used in carrier.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:53:59 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
Thanks guys,
I was refering to the Nostalgia Profile Carrier event with the new 100 point bonus. I guess it's still as clear as mud!
Chris...

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
I'll try this again.

There are only three (3) things that matter:

1) Was the design or kit available prior to the January 1, 1978 cut-off date?
2) Is the design an AMA legal profile model?
3) Is the wing area equal to or greater than 300 sq. In.?

If the answer is YES to all three then it qualifies for the Historical Bonus.

That's it! No more, no less.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
I'll try this again.

There are only three (3) things that matter:

1) Was the design or kit available prior to the January 1, 1978 cut-off date?
2) Is the design an AMA legal profile model?
3) Is the wing area equal to or greater than 300 sq. In.?

If the answer is YES to all three then it qualifies for the Historical Bonus.

That's it! No more, no less.

Bob

Bob,

Looks great to me.  I hope this interpretion prevails.
Paul Smith

Joe Just

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
I too will say that the above thoughts are just fine Bob. The problem is when any reference to the word "Designed" is employed.  NEVE , NEVER allow that phrase into the rules as it opens up real bags of snakes. Once allowing 'Desined" before a cetain date is a death sentence or the rulings. I strongly  want the rule to say "Published, not "Designed" and the rule should also indicate "Kitted" My personal voting no to the rule change proposal was baised mostly on the reading that suggested that plans must be provided for elligibility into the event by those that might have designed,built and flew in the event before the cut-off date. I strongly reccomend that the NCS re-write the rule proposal and re submit it to the membership for another vote based on changes to the original rules proposal.
Joe
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:11:22 AM by Joe Just »

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
Joe is very correct.

The real end date of "traditional" US Navy Carrier event was December 31, 1975.

So the "before 1978" cutoff alredy has two years of slack built in.  If it flew in the real "nostalgia era", two years in more than enough time to get it published.  We don't need that 1954 jive they try to use in Old Time Stunt.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
...The problem is when any reference to the word "Designed" is employed.  NEVE , NEVER allow that phrase into the rules as it opens up real bags of snakes. Once allowing 'Desined" before a cetain date is a death sentence or the rulings...

Joe

Why  ???

How would you allow for "one-offs" or models that were not manufactured for sale or presented as a construction article in some publication  ???

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

david smith

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
I think what Joe is saying about the wording makes sense in that how do you prove that you built the airplane before the cutoff if you dont have any documentation?  Yes you may know that you built and flew it but if the people you are flying with or the ED's dont know or have never seen it then how are they suppose to allow it?

david smith

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
Well back to the distant past and the original topic I have never seen a Guillows Trainer III.  What does it look like? Is it some kind of carrier plane or just a trainer that you converted for carrier? If it is a carrier kit then I would say its legal as long as it was made before the cutoff.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
The Guillows Trainer was a slab wing,upright engine basic trainer kitted in the mid to late 50s. It was designed for about a 19 size engine. Like the AMT 3in1 plastic car kits the directions showed some different versions you could build,one of them was a carrier version. The killer is it's wing area was about 250 sq. inches it has to have 300. Another carrier legal kit that doesn't make the sq. in cut is the Sterling Skyshark. It was designed for carrier only as had flaps and ailerons that deployed for low speed. Too bad it was so small. I built a 340 sq in one about 10 years ago with a K&B 5.8 in it. The fuselage was too big and I didn't get a very good high speed from it, flew nice tho.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Mike
mike potter

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:46:49 AM »
Why  ???

How would you allow for "one-offs" or models that were not manufactured for sale or presented as a construction article in some publication  ???

Bob

It wouldn't. That's what some guys like, restriction. Old Time used to be like that. Once it was opened up, a resurgence in popularity (wait until someone over there reads that!).
I wonder now what the upright engine would do to the eligibility of the Guillows Trainer III for the profile event?
Chris...

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 05:06:02 AM »
Back in the day, Profile Carrier models with vertical engines were quite common.  Just as long as the back end of the body met the profile definition. 

It would bring a lot more peace to the valley if they just went ahead and scraped the historic bonus in Profile altogether and allowed newly-designed airframes that meet the 1974 rules (like B Team Race).
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:56 AM »
1) Upright or Inverted engine profiles:

Paragraph 10 of the AMA Controline General Regulations defines a Profile model. There is a chart on pg. CLG-5 (it's out of place but that's where it is) that lists allowable fuselage widths. The Upright / Inverted installation is covered. I think that section was part of the 1974 - 1975 rule book.

2) Dating an Original Design:

I realize the difficulty in proving the design date for an original. But, the rule provides the opportunity. That's the better alternative than making such models ineligible. We might all be surprised at how much back-up documentation exists.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
I agree with inclusivity. Thanks for your time.
Chris...

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
OK, we are going to allow legality of an unpublished-manufacturered Carrier plane.  Who is going to do the judging of eligibility?  local ED's, the NCS? Will you take my word for eligibility?  How about a Nats winner?  Let's say that neither of us has a plan, only a picture. What then?
The GSCB original set of rules for OTS listed planes that were published or manufactured as eligible. Then some "Hotshots" got around those rules and substituted planes of doubtful eligibility, leaving the local club to decide which set of rules to follow.  BAG OF SNAKES! Another reason to redo the rules as they stand now. Plenty of time before he contest season is in full force.
Joe

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
The eligibility rule clearly spells out the process. Proof is the responsibility of the contestant. The CD / ED is empowered to make the ruling. Proof may be a dated photograph or some form of affidavit.

I believe in the fundamental integrity of people. There is no reason to cheat. If someone has one of these designs in their history I'm willing to bet they have necessary proof, in some form. We're vain and like to have pictures showing our handiwork.

If someone doesn't have such a design, there is no reason to fake one. There are a large number of established designs of all levels of complexity from which to choose. Heck, it's a simple event. Just make a Condor and go fly.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Joe Just

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
Bob, you make a mgood point. I just wish it remains that  simple.  I will be flying Rusty Brown's "Trager". Can't get much simplier than that. Wish I could fly my own design, a "Claude", but only have my word and one picture (un dated) and no plans, drawings, etc are left for proof.
Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here