News:

• May 09, 2024, 12:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are flaps worth the trouble..  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Are flaps worth the trouble..
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
Wondering if it would be worth the trouble to add flaps to the Furry. Not planing on a line slider and wondering if flaps would really help with low speed enough to make it worth the additional linkage and building headaches. Wouldn't be real hard to cut flaps out of the foam wing but figuring out how big and making them work might be a bit difficult.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Are flaps worth the trouble..
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »
Well it does look cool on approach!
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
Ahh, go for it Bob! Thats what we need, another challenge. S?P I have been thinking the same thing about the Airaboneater. Have to make up my mind in the next couple of days.  Going tomorrow to see if Wholesale Tool still has that metal brake.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
If you could have seen how cool Keith Trostle's Class 1 Nostalgia Bearcat looked flying low speed in a groove at around 20 mph with flaps and hook extended and concluding with a 100 pt landing you would realize that the answer, if planning to fly a nostalgia type low speed, is a resounding YES!  (This was at the contest in Tucson in Sep 09). 8)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:52:48 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »
I would add the flaps but I would give myself some method of adjusting their total throw - Start with a small amount and add throw after test flying.  If you don't like them, you can always connect them to a non-moving point.

I suspect that with that real low wing, there will be a lot of nose-down pitching added as the flap deflection goes up -

Start with lots of altitude and at low throttle and realize that if you are very nose-heavy, it MAY be difficult to keep the nose level when the flaps deploy.

Of course, it may also just bore straight ahead or balloon up when they drop but give yourself the wiggle room.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
I would add the flaps but I would give myself some method of adjusting their total throw - Start with a small amount and add throw after test flying.  If you don't like them, you can always connect them to a non-moving point.

I suspect that with that real low wing, there will be a lot of nose-down pitching added as the flap deflection goes up -

Start with lots of altitude and at low throttle and realize that if you are very nose-heavy, it MAY be difficult to keep the nose level when the flaps deploy.

Of course, it may also just bore straight ahead or balloon up when they drop but give yourself the wiggle room.

You can do that. In the day there was a forked release rod for the flaps allowing each one to drop onto an adjustable stop that was accessable from the belly of the plane(in this case it was a Sterling guardian) adjusted by a screw. We also had the inboard flap side stop a little higher to give an aileron affect. I dont remember who should be credited for that but it was a common trick than. Worked fine so I will have that in my next CL 1 or 2.
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
After watching stunt models do their perfect nice slow landings with the flaps inter acting with the elevators I tried it on a Sterling Guardian. It worked fine. When you throttle down you give a little up elevator and the flaps go down a little. The slower you go the more elevator is used and more flaps. At your slowest speed the model is flying pitched up some with nearly full up elevator and full down flaps. If you get in trouble a little and goose it the flaps come up as the elevator goes to neutral and you don't get the wild gyrations you get with the power on and the flaps still full down.Worked for me!
mike potter

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for posting that.........it answered a question that I had wondered about but had not asked.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
Interesting comments on flaps. If you have a chance to watch Pete or Eric fly (er....hang) on low speed, they use very little "up" elevator to maintain the nose-up attitude. It all has to do with balance. Ailerons on the little Gerber MO-1 work effectively at low speed (20 mph)  so should flaps. Flaps on a scale plane just look good. One observation on a Melton Guardian profile, flaps deployed on a windy day resulted in a flip over on its back as the 60 degree angle was approached. This happened with a 15 degree flap-down setting. Locking the flaps at neutral stopped the problem. However, I suspect a more nose-down attitude going into the wind with the flaps down would have worked better. Practice in all weather conditions is the best advice.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
After watching stunt models do their perfect nice slow landings with the flaps inter acting with the elevators I tried it on a Sterling Guardian. It worked fine. When you throttle down you give a little up elevator and the flaps go down a little. The slower you go the more elevator is used and more flaps. At your slowest speed the model is flying pitched up some with nearly full up elevator and full down flaps. If you get in trouble a little and goose it the flaps come up as the elevator goes to neutral and you don't get the wild gyrations you get with the power on and the flaps still full down.Worked for me!

I've always meant to try this, just never really got around to it.  It should work on most any profile really well.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Make sure they are tapered, meaning the MAC of the flaps is in the same location as the MAC of the wing.
If you made your flaps constant chord, funny things might happen when you lower them as most of the flap surface area would be way aft of the CG (swept wing).
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
Make sure they are tapered, meaning the MAC of the flaps is in the same location as the MAC of the wing.
If you made your flaps constant chord, funny things might happen when you lower them as most of the flap surface area would be way aft of the CG (swept wing).

Very good point I hadn't thought of. I'm really liking the idea of setting them up like a stunter, coupled to the elevator. Plan on (if I do it which I probably will) cutting the flaps out of the wing trailing edge instead of adding more area.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
In lthe years I watched Bill Melton fly I never really seen him push the 60 degree angle.  The first time was at the Lincoln NATS he didn't even push the 30 degree angle.  He was also about 3 to 5 foot off the water(remember anything other than the deck is water).  So carrier pilots walk on water.  I beleive the smoothest carrier pilot was Bill Bischoff.  He made it look easy without running all over the place.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here