News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: another new project  (Read 2591 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
another new project
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
About a month ago several us were sitting in a restaurant having breakfast after our carrier and speed contest got rained out. As the only carrier flier at the table, I asked what it would take for the other guys to fly carrier. David Russum said something like "well, maybe if you had an airplane we could try..."  It occurred to me that he was absolutely right. In the past I had various 3 line and carrier models available for people to try, but I don't have one currently. That will soon change!

The airplane shown can trace its roots back to the Sterling Hellcat. Starting from the kit plans, I built a version with foam wings cut to match the kit wing. Then it was adapted to use CoreHouse wings. Along the way there were aerodynamic and structural changes. This version is 92% scale of the design I settled on as a sport/combat model. It uses Gotcha 460SX wing cores with 6" cut off the root end of each panel. It will use an Evolution 36, just because that's what I have. It will have a 3 oz Hayes RC clunk tank to allow cheap and easy replacement if necessary, and it will NOT have a slider. The plan for finishing the wings is to first cover them with silkspan and thinned Titebond as I usually do, and then cover them with CoreHouse SLC covering. Then the entire airplane will be doped. The goal is for the paint finish to keep the covering seams from lifting from the repeated oil soakings that carrier planes seem to get.

This plane currently gets worked on only while something on the new Zero is drying. Last week it was the polyspan and nitrate on the wings, this week it's the glass cloth and finish cure epoxy on the fuse and tail. Next week it will probably be the Superfil fillets, then the epoxy primer and paint. Who knows, the Hellcat may get done first.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: another new project
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
 Looks like another really neat project Bill. y1 I know that you said it's because it's "what you have", but I'm not sure about the Evo choice.

Here's a paint scheme for ya...

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »
I believe your quote was" That's way too nice to be smacking down on the deck." Since my Hellcat will no doubt get bruised and abused, it will be very spartan. Brodak Piper blue with white stick on markings and canopy, and that's it.
It will just have to dream of being as nice as yours! BTW, recognize the wheels?

I don't anticipate any problems with the Evolution 36. It's actually the CL version with an OS carb stuck in it. I haven't run it with the carb yet, but it worked well on a WWII slow combat plane. (I used the medium size venturi, modified for a standard Supertigre needle assembly through the middle.) The goal will be reliability rather than maximum performance. Actually, the goal will be to get people to try it!

Joe Just

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
Bill, your Hellcat much like the 30 Wildcats I built  and sold this year.  Same basic ideas,same finishing methods etc.etc.  I think others would be inclined to try the same method to get others involved.  Here's two of mine made from left over factory parts. One, the one with the red stripe will be at Brodak's. I have already sent it by Greyhound to Detroit. Marc and I will then be driving to PA. Wish you were coming.
Joe

BTW Greyhound is a great way to ship completed planes!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »
I believe your quote was" That's way too nice to be smacking down on the deck."

Yep, you got me there Bill. I did figure that you'd keep this one simple as it's purpose is to be a bit of a "mule". When I built mine it was just for fun flying, no throttle or anything. Piper Blue makes a great WWII blue for the Navy planes.

Good idea with the OS carb, it will be interesting to hear how that works out.

...oh yeah, nice wheels! ;D :##

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
I like it Bill.   It is not complicated and a true Navy plane. LL~ LL~ A dig at MO-1's. VD~Is the fuse and tail surfaces same as the Sterling kit?   As you say, need a plane that is dependable and easy flying.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »
It's undergone several iterations since it started as a Sterling knock off, so it may not be exactly the same any more. Plus, this one is a little smaller at 92% of "normal" size.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
It's undergone several iterations since it started as a Sterling knock off, so it may not be exactly the same any more. Plus, this one is a little smaller at 92% of "normal" size.

It wouldn't take a lot to make it fly a lot better than the original design, like adding an airfoil. Not all that necessary for Carrier use though.

Wayne Willey

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
bill
great plane id like to see how to put throttle through the fse. HB~>

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Look at these pictures, and look at my very first post under Dumas Crusader for Nostalgia Profile Carrier. The Crusader uses the same system depicted on the MO-1 plans. The Hellcat will use this linkage turned sideways. This is easier to construct, but in my opinion not as neat or inconspicuous as the Crusader. Both ways work equally well when rigged properly. The side that connects to the bellcrank should be longer than the side that connects to the carb, and when adjusted properly you get full bellcrank movement and full carburetor movement.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
Not to take away from Bill's ideas but I came up with another method that worked very well when I built the FJ-4. An explanation with photos is in this thread on the 2nd page in reply #55.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=14390.50

Used the same system in the soon to be kitted FJ-4-15, what I really like about it is it doesn't interfere with mounting the fuel tank.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
I got the first coats of blue squirted on the Hellcat today. I was pleased and relieved when the dope didn't make the foam disappear under the covering, so it was obviously sufficiently sealed. As stated above, the foam cores were first covered with silkspan, then covered with SLC covering, then painted. The SLC went on easily, except for the wing tips. I could get it stretched around the balsa tips pretty well, but it wouldn't stay put. It always crept back a bit and formed a bunch of little wrinkles. Somebody on one of the forums suggested slicing/ sanding off the wrinkles then smearing the tips with finish cure epoxy, so I tried that and it worked well for me. The covering seams in the tank cutout in the wing were also sealed with finish cure, and the covering was sealed at the fuselage joint with fillets of SuperFil. (Great stuff. If you don't know about it yet, look it up here on Stunt Hangar.)

Also, for those following along, the new Zero is glassed, covered, and assembled. It just needs the fillets sanded and it will be ready for Superpoxy primer.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
 Way cool Bill, can't wait to see 'em! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
It's finished! I got a screamin' good deal on an OS 32 yesterday, so I'm going with that instead of the Evolution. I still think the Evolution would work fine, but the OS is about an ounce lighter, which has CG benefits, plus it's one of my personal favorites. If I need nose weight, the Evolution will go back on.

The finish is all dope, and very utilitarian. The wood parts got one coat of talc/ dope filler, the whole plane got a couple of sprayed coats of nitrate, and a couple of sprayed coats of blue butyrate. The markings are sticky vinyl, and the whole plane got topped with two sprayed coats of clear. The weight is 35.5 oz, and the wing area (by today's hasty measurement) is about 323 sq. in.

If all goes well, I will have it out at our contest next Sunday for one and all to try!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
I like it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:30:02 AM »
It's been quite a while, but here's a report on the Mule. Since the first flight it has flown very well, only needing minor carb tweaks. Later I added a bit of tail weight, with the objective of being able to get the nose up for landing, but not be able to sustain a hang all the way around the circle. Top speed with a stock OS 32F, 9x6 prop, and 10% fuel is 75-80 mph. This is fast enough to be exciting, but not intimidating (and not too shabby if you ask me).

The plane has gotten the seal of approval from a couple of the local carrier guys who flew it, but more to the point, several new people have flown it with good results. At our last contest, both David Russum and NATS stunt flyer Richard Oliver flew it in Sportsman. If you remember way back to the top of this post, it was David's comment that led to the construction of this model. After one test flight, David ended up winning Sportsman with his first ever contest flight. Right now he's also at the top of the Sportsman Top 20!  #^ Richard was right behind David, but landed long and touched the grass. :( It is also worth pointing out that Sportsman was the most entered class at the contest!

I've started drawing plans, but couldn't resist some improvements. The plans will show both a fixed line guide and a slider. It will be possible to build the model with the fixed guide then add the slider later, or with the slider AND a removable bolt-on fixed guide. Or you could leave off the hook and fly it as a 3 line sport model or scale trainer. When the plans are done, you will read about it here. As always, questions and comments are invited.

Bill

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
Nice job on the Mule it flew well. If I didn't already have 20 irons in the fire I would build one for the Gluedobbers. The little 15 that Joe Just gave to Elwin at Brodaks and Elwin donated to the club didn't survive our Postal carrier outing and we really need a replacement.

Joe Just

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
Bob, the latest batch of "Wildcats" are done and ready to ship on 11/1/11.  Special lower cost to the Glue Dobbers. Email me for more info.
Joe

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
Bill,

Which tank are you using?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »
The tank is a Hayes 3 oz. RC tank. Turned on its side, it becomes a uniflow. Light, cheap, readily available, and works great. Only issue is you have to hold the airplane nose straight up to fill the tank. But hey, that's what your flying buddies are for! Be sure to hook up the vent tube extender as shown in the photo to prevent fuel siphoning.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here