News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amature lessions the hard way..  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Amature lessions the hard way..
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:12 AM »
Yesterday I learned a couple lessions the hard way....

#1 If you like to wrap line ends and plan on connection your lines directly to the bellcrank, do not start with the Brodak 3 line 60 foot line kit. I use a line wrapping jig bought from Tom Morris and you end up with about 6 inches excess that gets cut off in the process. Wrapped one end then measured to mark the other, oops... should have bought a 70 foot line kit.

#2 If you have the slider release with down elevator, do not think about using a "jump buster" and are not high enough when you drop the hook the airplane will crash. Thankfully the FJ-4-36 is built strong enough that the only damage was the nose gear being bent back and poking a hole in the leading edge.

At least I still have time before Brodaks to make a legal set of lines, fix the damage to the airplane and add a "jump buster".

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Amature lessions the hard way..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »
I haven't analyzed the cause & effect to my satisfaction yet, but strange things happen when the slider is activated.  Fortunately for me, I got my first couple lessons over soft grass.  Just testing the thing on the ground, there didn't seem to be enough interaction to make the plane crash.  But it did.

Lines:  Buy in bulk from McMaster Carr or some such source.  They get buggered up a lot in carrier & racing.  Those sets from the hobby industry wil break you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:19:46 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:37:26 AM »
I broke my new airplane last week because of using down elevator. I thouht my latest release would oid that but no such luck. Over the years my best solution was using the throttle to activate and I am going to pursue that. Lets do some collabarating on profile carrier applications.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
I remember the old Sterling Gaurdian used the low speed to trip every thing.   Don't know why we got away from it.  But, with practice and being alert the down elevator is much easier for me than the up elevator.  But, then when things hang up it doesn't matter which you use, there is an accident that is going to happen...   Forgot how to spell catastrophy. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
When using down for a release don't use the handle like you would to go down with a stunt plane. Reach out grab the line and pull it. Keep your handle in the nuetral position. After the line is pulled, release the line quickly, the plane will resume normal level flight and you will hardly see the plane move.

The so called jump buster may work, but I don't use it and have not had any problems with the release causing a crash, and I always use down for the release.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Release everything with UP instead of down or throttle. Makes life much easier, and you can work the throttle on the ground without tripping anything. When you are trying to set up for low speed, you are usually cranking a fair amount of up anyway, so just trip everything that way. Make sure your elevator goes UP with the slider, not down (or at least use a jump buster).

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »
Thanks for the tips... Too late for this one, the bellcrank position and leadout guide is such that when the slider goes all the way back I end up with almost full down elevator. Sure missed this when I was playing with the slider.. The only real fix is a jump buster to compensate for the geometry of the configuration. Will be easy to do, I'll just cut a hole on the bottom of the wing covering to get access to a rib.

Have seen the guys hang a string off the down line that they pull to drop the hook and never understood why. Now I know.. The best setup I have is on the big FJ-4, up releases the slider and down drops the hook. Works really well but the bellcrank is right at the CG and the slider doesn't move that far.

Would think using low throttle would eliminate some of these issues but in this case it wouldn't matter. Without a jump buster on this ship you would end up having to fly low speed with almost full up at the handle just to fly level.

Dissected the damage this morning, really lucky it didn't even break the leading edge spar, wheel just poked a hole in the sheeting, easy fix. Everyone watching was surprised it was still in one piece, glad I was over grass..

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »
You could move the control horn to the top of the elevator to change down to up, or you could get a different bellcrank that puts the elevator pushrod inboard of the pivot instead of outboard. That way, the movement of the slider would PUSH the pushrod instead of PULLING it. Neither of these would be as attractive as the original installation, but a patched up airplane isn't as pretty either.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
Installed a jump buster this morning, ended up being fairly easy. I made up a short set of lines (4 foot) from an old set of 18's and used them to determin where the jump buster should be located so it would give the the same elevator position with the slider in both locations. Bent a piece of small music wire in a U with a flat top, poked two holes in the top covering over a rib cap strip. Opened up an access hole in the bottom covering, cut a 1/2 rib to double the area that the wire was glued to and epoxied the whole mess together with the wire sandwiched between the rib and 1/2 rib.

Also discovered I needed to give much more down to release the hook than it really needs, am sure this added to the mishap. Made this adjustable so it will be easy to set it for just enough. Looking like Tuesday will be the next day with wind not howling and hoping I can give it another go.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
Jump Buster...?  ???
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
Success,

We put 3 flights on the FJ-4-36 yesterday and the jump buster worked great. Actually I thought the airplane was pretty durn good.. Didn't actually time a complete flight but it was doing about 3.2 second laps high speed and we had low speed down to 19-20 second laps. With practice or in the hands of someone that knows how to fly carrier I believe it's very competitive.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »
Bob,
Impressive. Those Times would give you about 250 with a landing. I'd say you know how to fly carrier. A bit more slow speed practice and look out.

John

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Thanks John, problem was I wasn't the one flying it when we clocked it at 19 and 20 seconds. Joe Gilbert was on the handle, he doesn't have any more Carrier experience than I do but has spent quite a bit of time flying a BiSlob and I believe it really helped with his learning curve.

He is going to fly the big FJ-4 at Brodaks and I'll be flying the new one.. Bets are he will beat me with my own airplane  ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
Hey Bob, been there and  done that.   First Carriers trials in Topeka,  Mike Tallman made my son and I both look bad with our airplanes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here