News:

• May 07, 2024, 05:44:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM-1 Mauler / Fox .45 ??  (Read 953 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
AM-1 Mauler / Fox .45 ??
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
I got bitten by the bug again and am goingto pull the Sturdi-Built Mauler i started 20yrs ago off the shelf and get working on it again. My question is regarding the engine, I originally was going to use a Fox .36 RC i had, but now have a Fox .45 Quickee 500 motor available. I have not run it except for 1 quick 5 min run a few years ago to make sure it even ran.

I have read that the large bore Fox carb on these Quickee motors did not throttle that well,more of an On/Off since they were designed to run all out for pylon racing and then idle / off for landing. I can make an adapter for a different carb- but what would you guys suggest?

The throat on the Fox is .340, I have an OS 4A carb with a .280, a ST at .355 and a few others. I am a newbie at 3-line flying so I want dependable more than max top end. Open to all suggetions.

By the way- is the Fox "Stock"  long tuned muffler from the Quickee 500 motor legal in carrier?
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline David Shad

• Commander
Re: AM-1 Mauler / Fox .45 ??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
Bill...Great to see another Southeastern guy working on Carrier.

Jim Catevenis over in Gainesville is working on something and I am
building here in Ga.  Jim is a pretty good engine man but the forum
has guys that have been a big help to me here too.  Joe Just and
Eric Conley although these guys are running Nelsons some but that
old Fox with a decent carb will bhe fun...and competitive too. The
Thunder Tiger line has good results too.  Also talk to Gary Hull and
Ted Kraver and Wayne Buran....There are some others and they are
all a great bunch of guys.  Let me know how I can help too...I come
Fla. regularly to see my mom in St. Pete. 
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
Thanks Dave- maybe we can meet up some day over on the Gulf side- my mom lives in Clearwater- and i really should visit more often. I know there are some guys flying C/L over that way- just don't know where. I'm sure by the time i get the Mauler done I will have been able to make contact.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »
I've always admired the Roberts Mauler, I hope you are able to get it flying.  IMO if you want an engine that is reliable and powerful go with a modern R/C .36 -.45.  The vintage engines are great but like vintage cars and motorcycles they tend to be somewhat cantankerous and offer challanges that you really don't need if you are just returning to the sport.

Most fields now have a mandatory muffler requirement.  The newer engines run well on mufflers whereas they often cause older engines to overheat and run poorly.  If you absolutely must go with a vintage engine I would suggest something a little less extreme than a former pylon racing motor.  If you like Foxes, (I do) their current R/C .40 would be a good choice. 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
The Fox .45 Q500 motor is basically the same as the current .40-.45 Scneurle engine. I think the timing may have been modified a bit for high RPM, and it came with a factory muffler that consisted of the front of a stock muffler with an aluminum tube rear section that was made to a length to act somewhat like a tuned pipe. looks like what you would do if you were making a "Mousse can" muffler to quiet down a regular R/C motor.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
My first Carrier model was a Mauler and I loved it. I had a K&B .40 front intake R/C engine that idled perfectly with the aluminum, solid, non-adjustable K&B carb on suction. If you are going to run on suction (I suspect you would like to do that for simplicity and reliability) you will want a smaller carb. I suggest and OS 4B, 4BK, or 4D carb. They tend to be pretty reliable and adjustment is reasonably straightforward. I think the Fox with this carb is worth a try.
Pete

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »
I 'll second the vote on the OS 4 BK. I use it on my Irvine .36 for profile and its very easy to tune on suction. Way better than the Irvine carb was for sure. It does allow for an increase in performance on my Irvines.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here