News:

• May 10, 2024, 09:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 2681 times)

Joe Just

• Trade Count: (0)
Advice needed
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
OK, after having a Brodak "Tigercat" kit sitting in my office for over 2 years, I have decided to take the plunge and build the darn thing.  I have had some experience in the past few years with twin engine planes, but never with a Carrier twin.  I recently bought 2 NIB Thunder Tiger 18's for use in this plane.  What I need are some ideas, problems, suggestions etc on building and flying this plane.  I am open to any suggestion except '" Forget it!" HELP!!!
Joe

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
I seem to remember that the Carrier rules require all engines to remain running.  Might be a problem.  Could also be a faulty memory!
Ted Kraver has a lot of experience with twin engine stuff.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
Joe,
never built the kit, but the ones I have seen come out heavy ( typical Twin problem anyway). I'd look for ways to lighten it, also I've heard the cowls are too thick. OK for scale but violates the carrier fuse thickness spec. It probably would be a better plane with electrics for carrier, but I don't think you will go that way.
John

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
I have the Brodak Tigercat hanging on the hook.  Two Fox .15 Schnurles.   Has been flown and as stated the kit builds up heavy.  If I were to do another one, all controls would be external.  Using internal controls I could not get enough throw with mufflers on the Fox's.   JJ hasw even flown the plane.  Guess I should dust it off and fly.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »
I'm dabbling in twins, too.

I finally built a 1/2 A twin and got it to fly OK on the first attempt.

The secret of my success is building a 2-engine mockup of the plane and confirming that I can get the two engines to perform properly before going any deeper.

There might be a twin carrier job in my future, but only after I assure that I can get the two engines throttling right on a stand.

Paul Smith

Joe Just

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
Paul, I do plan on building a mock up first.  Here are 2 pictures of twins I have built in the past couple of years. One is my profile P-38 using two AL .25's the other is of my friend Lars Christenson from Sweden holding my other twin powered by 2 Brodak 25's. John didn't I see a Brodak Tigercat in video's of the 2012 Fly-In at the Carrier circle.  Were the pods on that plane modified?  I have been told that on a twin the pods are considered part of the fuse and the more than 3/4" thickness is fine as long as the pod does not run past the cockpit area.  Am I wrong.  I have had my doubts about Carrier legality with this kit.  Is that why it was entered in Class 1?
Joe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »
That is one of the reasons that I plan on the next Tigercat of doing external controls.  There is not enough room for a decent fuel tank.  The props on mine are just ahead of the cockpit/pilot area.  Also starting and adjusting both engines is no problem if you take time to run each engine first and adjust it.   May have to make minor adjustment after a flight.   But, don't we do that with single engine planes already.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Joe,
The plane is legal, the nacelles as I understand the kit are to thick, over the 3/4" rule. Just don't don't do the per the plans. Dave Smith flew a tigercat at Brodak's. He flew it as a class I (no Bonus). I don't recall the motors, Russian I think. The plane did not exceed the 3/4" rule. I have seen others built for carrier that were also legal. Tim LaNore has one, but he has the classic twin bugaboo, vibration. He's had trouble getting both motors to run consistently at the same time.
John

Happy Holidays to all

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
I don't see any point in entering Class I or II without the 100-point scale "bonus" (actually more like a non-scale penalty).

As far as a Tigercat entered in Profile, I would view the fuselage as the the fuselage and consider the engine pods as "reinforcement needed for safety".  Good luck.

In my opinion, the Achilles heel of all twins is the need the beef up the structure between the two engines to avoid vibration and stress issues.  Any point bonus given to twins is well-earned.

Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »
     Thank you Paul I had never thought about the vibration traveling down the wing. Matter of fact I was going to concentrate on the motor mounts at each engine and build light "everywhere else". I had a Novarossi .21 on one side and a Nelson .15 on the other side. Then decided the Novarossi because of it weight would have to be on the outside wing, then decided that would be all wrong for the right reasons, then decided I had just found out why twins are not competitive in carrier. Now you have given me another reason. Thanks, Eric.
Eric

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
 Although probably not the wisest choice for serious competition, twins are nothing to be afraid of. It's just another thing that too many people overthink in my opinion. Well designed and built and with dependable, user friendly engines, they are not a problem. Weight can be an issue, but it's managable. As far as wing vibration/strength or whatever like mentioned above, I don't consider that a true problem either. My 64" span PBY stunter uses standard a "D-tube" construction wing with 1/4" square spruce spars and constant 1/16" center sheeting between the engine nacelles. It runs and flies smooth as silk with two Saito .40's. The only additional structure I added into the wing was an extra 1/4" square top and bottom spar running between the engine nacelles, about halfway between the main spar and wing T/E. Some designs use this extra "mid spar" anyway, so in a sense it's not even "extra".  

I've got a Brodak Tigercat and two NIB LA.15's on the shelf as well that I would really like to get going on. Might even be the next project. It will be built just for fun sport/stunt flying without throttles. On it, one thing I plan to consider is spacing out the wing ribs just a bit to gain a little wing area. Maybe like 1/4" to 1/2" each, sure won't hurt. That would help wing loading a little without deteriorating the semi-scale appearance.

Hey Doc, how about some photos of your Tigercat?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:33:37 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
Here is my  T-cat from the early '90's -- there is no question of legality over the fuselage/nacelle thickness.   It flew originally with a Fox .15 schn and an Enya .19.  Then it was changed to a Conquest .15 and a Veco .19.  No mufflers were used, so that wasn't an issue.  The wing was fairly thin, but I managed to stuff a home-made 3-line bellcrank, and a two 90 degree bellcranks to the throttles.  I think the span was about 42 inches, wing area was probably about 320.

Note that the nacelles must meet the profile definitions found in the CL General section.  A 3/4 inch maximum thickness but may also have doublers or cheek reinforcements up to 3/4 inch thick on the side opposite the engine.  Engine must be completely exposed from center of crankshaft to top of cylinder.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
I scratch built this 41" span Tigercat (F7F-3N) version for CL scale and it has two OS-15FP's for power and would not get off the deck with that for power. The model was built before John Brodak released his kit so this model is now quite old. The external controls that I have works great and it has electronic controls built into the fuselage, wing and naccelles which meet the 3/4" rule.  The wing is also scale 18% thick at the root and 12% thick at the wing tips. The model flies great and has hundreds of flights on it now.

The Naccelles and fuselage are 1/16" balsa sides with 1/2" balsa sticks on the inside making the thickness just under the 3/4" rules. Note that the Naccelles and the fuselage do no have any plywood doublers and they are doing just fine....the doublers are not needed. I covered the model with Sig Koverall and then Sig Dope finish, so the structure is not even have fiberglass which could strenghten the structure even more.

Hopefully the .18's would be enough power to get something off the deck, the 15's I have on my model would not be up to the job.

Good luck,
Fred Cronenwett

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

That's a cool 'Cat Fred, thanks for the pics! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
All this Tigercat talk has reminded me of another one. Published in FM 1968 by Bob Adair, a bit larger than Brodak's  but builds light. FM still sells the plans. It would be nostalgia legal also.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
I meant to post this a while ago just been busy. Here are some pics of the Brodak tigercat that I built. I dont have any of the in flight photos but if you look in the NCS newsletter, I think, in the May/June of either 2010 or 2011 there should be some photos from its second and final contest. My suggestions would be external controls (everything; bellcrank, throttle linkages, slider) it makes adjusting later on SO MUCH EAISER!. I had to cut into mine 2 or 3 times to fix or adjust things before I even flew it. Another suggestion would be to try to put the tanks in the wing behind the engine, making 2 chicken hopper tanks and getting them both to work at the same time is a pain. Something else that was suggested to me was to brace the nacells differently(make one stiffer than the other) to try to keep it from vibrating weird.

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
Some more pics

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
A couple more

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Well, first of all thanks for all the advice.  I without a computer for 10 working days and it has taken me some time to catch up with over 200 emails to answer.  During all that "down time" I have been pulling out my hair trying to get a standard 3-line bell crank setup to work on a test board.  The first thing I did was to make a copy of the Brodak plans and mounted it flat on my testing board. I drew lines reflecting the position of the engine etc and proceded to get the system to work.  Boy am I glad I didn't build the wing an d attempt allthe "teaking" needed to get the system working at what I call 80% efficient.  Not good enough, even for this ham handed builder.  Then it dawned on me....."Joe you dunce, why not use a 2.4 system?"  Even with my limited manual skill I found the 2.4 easy to use in two other ; but yet unflown Profile ships.  So, my next trip to Radio Shack will bring home a new battery pack with on-off switch included.  Then a quick trip to Tower Hobby for a Splitter wire and I should be on my way!  Other personal and hobby projects are still in the way, so I wont be starting the Tigercat just yet.
Again, Thanks to all for the advise etc.  Your all just great! (well most of you anyway)
Joe Just

later today a picture or two of my latest .15  Carrier plane.  Time for the release will of course depend on getting the local TV station and newspaper people here to view it.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
     Joe, you are so right about the simplicity of the 2.4 systems. Believe it or not it gets simpler yet if your using an electric motor. Allows me more time to build, finish, and most important practice. Eric
Eric

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Joe,
Good luck on your project. You have encouraged me to finish my Bob Adair Tigercat, but alas as an electric. If not this year, then in a year far away.
john

Joe Just

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
     Joe, you are so right about the simplicity of the 2.4 systems. Believe it or not it gets simpler yet if your using an electric motor. Allows me more time to build, finish, and most important practice. Eric

Eric, you may be right, but at 75ish my learning curve looks like a flat line.  I read everything revolving around model aircraft, but because of my limited background in manual skills I really don't understand  what I'm reading.  At
Brodak's contest a few years ago my good friend John Vlna slowly showed me the basics involved in E-flight, but by the time I got back to my car I had forgotten it.  Also, I simply have way too much money invested in IC motors to begin looking toward E moters.  I'll end by saying your toughts and John's flights at Brodak's have left me intrigued.
Joe

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
One of the tricks I use to sync the engines on my twins is this procedure

1) start left engine, adjust needle valve for full power and verify idle, shut down engine

2) start right engine, adjust needle valve for full power and veriy idle, shut down engine

3) start both engines and run to full power and slowly pull back throttle stick until both engines shut down, but take notes on which one quits first

4) Take the engine that shut down first and lengthen the pushrod between the servo and engine by turning the clevis maybe two turns.  You will have to disconnect the pushrod from the engine to do this. Making the pushrod longer makes the engine run faster.

5) Repeat step #3 and #4 until both engines quit at the same time, very minor adjustments in the clevis position from the servo will sync up the throttles. Trying to Sync up the engines with the high speed need valve never worked.

Twins are a blast.....Ever since I have used this trick all of my twins Idle at the same setting. Unless you fool with the pushrods or engines you don't have to do this every flying session, although I do run both engines in the pits before putting up a flight just to make sure.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
Joe
Attached is a drawing for controlling a twin engine model for Navy Carrier.

With the switch in the locked position, as drawn, both throttle servos follow the left engine throttle for the high speed portion.  

With the switch in the unlocked position the two engines are controlled separately. The right engine throttle could be set to just above idle to meet the engine running rule but not providing much power. The regular throttle on the handle would still control the left engine normally.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here