News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new Pro(e), in time for Huntersville  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A new Pro(e), in time for Huntersville
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »
This is a new version of last year's E-Profile Spearfish - which I flew one time before the Treetown contest in June, one time at the Treetown contest, and a very brief 3rd flight after the Treetown contest.  Model torque-rolled across the circle and there were not many very large pieces left.  I was going to take some pictures of it after that flight ..  HB~>.  Anyway, it looked almost exactly like this one and in fact the stab/elevator and rudder/fin were recycled into this model.  So, that is sorta like posting photos of it, I guess.  This time, before I fly it, I'll post some pictures of it.

Anyway .. it is kit bashed from the Calkins/Brodak Guardian.  Has a Hyperion 1000 kV motor, a 100 Amp ESC, 2.4 motor control and uses 4 cells.  Spins an 11-7 at 13000 RPM drawing about 90 amps through high speed.  Last year's hung well but the slider wouldn't go all the way back and engage the catch, so I moved the bellcrank back about 1/2 an inch and this one seems as though it will slide and engage without some kind of spring or rubber band assist.

Right now it weighs 52 oz., but they usually gain some in the early going.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: A new Pro(e), in time for Huntersville
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:46 AM »
Nice setup Mike. Thanks for the PICS.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
Mike
real nice. I like the motor mount , could you post a few closeups?

John

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
     What size of 4 cell battery are you using. I'm using a 4400 and it doesn't have enough capacity to get a good long LS time. Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
Very Nice work Mike.  I too would like  closer picture of the motor mount.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »
I'm not at home right now - I did take a closer pic with my phone before I left the house, but it's too large to upload here and I can't find any editing software for an Android device.  I will try later after the Grandkids go to bed and the bedlam dies down a bit with my laptop.

The mount is based on one that Pete Mazur uses on his electric Skyray.  Suffice it to say that it is beefy and probably overkill.  It consists of the front mounting plate, fabricated from 1/8" aluminum plate and 4 L-shaped mounting legs.  For these, I took a piece of aluminum 2x4 (with 1/8" thick walls) and cut a 1/2" slice from the end.  This gave me a Rectangular "ring" 2x4 with 1/8 thick walls.  I cut that into 4 pieces (each L shaped, with a 2" Leg and a 1" foot) by sawing it in half each direction.  Then trimmed the 1" foot to ~1/2".  I should mention that the 1/2" slice off the end of the 2x4 was done with a horizontal band saw at work.  The rest of the cuts were done on my very old Sears 7" Bandsaw, fitted with a metal cutting blade and going pretty slow.  Even the mounting plate was mostly shaped with the bandsaw and a couple of hand files.

EDIT: OK, here are a couple shots of Pete's and what his inspired.

As for the battery, I have a couple of 3750 mah nanotechs and the one in the pic is a 3200 "A-spec" nano-tech.  All batteries are 60 or 65C.  Don't know what these will allow  for a low speed as we have yet to get a flight.  If I can get a high and a 3 minute low for starters, I will be satisfied.  I know that Pete was using a 3700 mah Thunderpower in his Skyray and he was getting 5 minute lows, but also pushing the battery to the limit on capacity.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:18:46 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Mike
I have been flying all type electrics for 7 years now. I think it is easy to over build the motor mount. I have never had a failure that I could trace to a mount. Recently I have just been using Al angle stock on profiles or a time ply firewall like the stunt guys do.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
I was able to get a flight in last night just to check trim and functions.  It's slightly tail heavy (which I kind of like, anyway) and the motor ran fine and it hung and flew slow pretty well though I didn't push it very hard.  Probably did ~25 sec laps or right at a 3 min. low.  I did do 7 laps at full throttle, a couple of laps getting the slider back and the hang set up, seven low speed laps, 'signaled for landing' as the 7th lap crossed the take-off point and landed on the next lap.  In all, probably 7 high speed laps and maybe 12 low speed laps.  When I charged the (3200 mah) battery, it took 2350 mah.  So if I limit discharge to 2700 mah, I'll have about another 350 mah.  If I figured 80 Amps for 23 seconds high speed (~1800 mah) then the 12 low speed laps used about 550.  This seems to imply that a 4:00 - 4:30 low will be about the limit for the 3200 mah packs and maybe a 6 minute low for the 3700 mah packs.  So much for the 'pencil and paper' flying, now I can do some real flying.

I did find out that the slider worked fine until I hooked up the jump-buster on the up line, so I had to add a little rubber-band assist to get it to go back all the way.  Everything else worked as planned.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here