News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .36 engines for the Profile Class  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Kelly Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
.36 engines for the Profile Class
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:49:28 AM »
Guys, I am basically "carrier ignorant", but I am trying to learn. Does anyone have any experience with either the Evolution .36 or the new OS .35AX engines in carrier? Would they make a competitive engine and/or a decent beginner engine?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: .36 engines for the Profile Class
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
Both are pretty new engines so I don't know how much they have been used in profile carrier.  I have used an Evo .36 in stunt and it is a powerhouse.  Both should be plenty strong enough and idle reliably, which is more important than max power. The only knock against them would be they are a little heavier than some of the other .36's out there, especially the Thunder Tiger .36 which has become a favorite carrier engine for an incredibly low price. My favorite box-stock carrier engine is the older generation OS.32.  If those are the engines you have, go ahead and use them.  If you are in the market you might consider a TT.36 or Magnum .36.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
The TT is a much better idling engine than the Magnum, and more power also, IMO.  I had a Magnum in my profile.  Had nothing but carb adjust problems.  Switched to the TT and voila! 
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
That's good information, Thanks.  Glad I converted my Mag .36 to a (high RPM/low pitch) stunt engine. 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Joejust

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »
Kelly, I am using the Evolution .36 in one of my profiles. It has been very reliable so far.  The other mentioned engines are really good choices as well. If your just starting out it might be better to fly with consistantly reliable engines than seeking the top end of available competition engines. An old friend once told me, " fly consistantly, then learn to fly fast!"

Joe Just

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
About the Evo 36:

The Stunt version uses a 2-bypass sleeve with the timing "softened" a bit to help tame it down some.  The normal RC version uses the 3 bypass sleeve and is made to wind up a little more.  I do not know the direct comparisons to the other engines mentioned but believe the Evo 36 will hold its own with the best of them...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Kelly Wilson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
Thanks for all the good comments. I have also heard good things about the OS .35AX. Supposedly it has great power and is fairly light, but somewhat pricey. If you can believe what OS says that you break it in on a 10-6 prop but it will pull a 11-6 and/or a 12-6. Thats a lot of prop for a .35 engine. I  cant imagine that small an engine having that much torque. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here